Sign in to follow this  
Felipe

New excited member!!

Felipe

Hey all my name is Felipe and recently got introduced to the watch replica community by a good friend. I honestly have not stopped looking around and reading for the past couple of days. Naturally I have lots of questions but I have found this forum very useful. I want to thank the people that have already answered some of my questions. You will be seeing alot of me around here so get used to it :)

Felipe

Lol and another question that I have which is probably a stupid one is are these reps really waterproof? For example some say water resistance >50 meters. Can I trust this??

Cynikal.Mindset

get them tested first or be a brave idiot like myself and just go for it in the water...all of mine so far *knock on wood* have withstood all the water I've put them in. Pools, ocean, shower, bathing my son.

pfcdre
Lol and another question that I have which is probably a stupid one is are these reps really waterproof? For example some say water resistance >50 meters. Can I trust this??

Hi i have just bought a seamaster and it says waterproof to 50m,i honestly wont even take it in the shower until i have it tested,which is my advice.Stay on the safe side get it tested first.Most reps are not waterproof,the more expensive ones can be to a degree,less so if they have chronographs,as they have more buttons therefore more weak points to leak through....Hope this helps cheers and goodluck in your choices

Eiderdaus
get them tested first or be a brave idiot like myself and just go for it in the water...all of mine so far *knock on wood* have withstood all the water I've put them in. Pools, ocean, shower, bathing my son.

I tested myself in a depth of 16 meters and my SSD was waterproof, but i would not recommend without creasing. :)

Balad1
Hey all my name is Felipe and recently got introduced to the watch replica community by a good friend. I honestly have not stopped looking around and reading for the past couple of days. Naturally I have lots of questions but I have found this forum very useful. I want to thank the people that have already answered some of my questions. You will be seeing alot of me around here so get used to it :)

It is good to have you join us, Welcome.

Cynikal.Mindset

there is a whole thread on RWI dedicated to taking your rep in to the water straight out of the box...lots of promising results! YMMV

David543

Hi there and welcome. Good to have you here Felipe! :)

I wouldn't take mine near water, certainly the rep will have no reason to be as water resistant as the gen. The aim is to look the same, not necessarily perform the same. Having said that, some dealers pressure test and many seem good. If I was going to wear one of my reps in water I would have it pressure tested first!

Edited by David543

KBH

"Water proof" is no longer an accepted term for any watches. They are now called water resistant, and yes, many of the replicas, particularly dive watches, either are or can be made water resistant just like the gen equivalents.

Of course, it's best to grease all the seals and then have them tested before use in water.

Eiderdaus
"Water proof" is no longer an accepted term for any watches. They are now called water resistant, and yes, many of the replicas, particularly dive watches, either are or can be made water resistant just like the gen equivalents.

Of course, it's best to grease all the seals and then have them tested before use in water.

@ KBH:as always I have to add something :)

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/sub...-m116610ln-0001

Rolex says that the water resistance is:Waterproof to 300 metres/1,000 feet

:)

KBH

It's OK to be wrong Eider. :)

What happened to watches being "Waterproof?"

The term "waterproof" was discontinued starting in the late 1960's. This change was brought about from several government organizations, including the Federal Trade Commission in the USA, who were investigating truthfulness and accuracy of product labeling and advertising.

"Waterproof" was considered to have misrepresented the products as more capable of preventing the entry of water under normal use circumstances than they were actually capable of. Specifically, diving-type watches never have been completely 'proof' of water entry under normal use and within the stated depth ratings. The seals that keep water out are not completely impervious and their effectiveness can be reduced over time with age, deterioration, and exposure to chemicals.

The term "water resistant" is now used to describe such watches. There are no technical differences between a waterproof watch and a water resistant watch--they use the exact same methods and technologies to keep water out. The difference is only in what term was considered to appropriate to describe it at the time it was made.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/wresist.shtml

I guess they're only waterproof in Switzerland!

Felipe

lol glad i started this debate. Been saying waterproof since leaving the womb.

HWG
lol glad i started this debate. Been saying waterproof since leaving the womb.

Welcome Felipe! I'm a newbie as well, and am totally amazed by this.forum. already I find it invaluable.

Del

Hello and welcome! :lol:

Nisv

Hi Felipe, welcome :popcorn:

cajarana

Welcome Felipe !

Portuguese ???

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :lol:

Felipe
Welcome Felipe !

Portuguese ???

No I am actually Uruguayan but of Portuguese decent.

Eiderdaus
It's OK to be wrong Eider. :)

What happened to watches being "Waterproof?"

The term "waterproof" was discontinued starting in the late 1960's. This change was brought about from several government organizations, including the Federal Trade Commission in the USA, who were investigating truthfulness and accuracy of product labeling and advertising.

"Waterproof" was considered to have misrepresented the products as more capable of preventing the entry of water under normal use circumstances than they were actually capable of. Specifically, diving-type watches never have been completely 'proof' of water entry under normal use and within the stated depth ratings. The seals that keep water out are not completely impervious and their effectiveness can be reduced over time with age, deterioration, and exposure to chemicals.

The term "water resistant" is now used to describe such watches. There are no technical differences between a waterproof watch and a water resistant watch--they use the exact same methods and technologies to keep water out. The difference is only in what term was considered to appropriate to describe it at the time it was made.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/wresist.shtml

I guess they're only waterproof in Switzerland!

Barry

Since I live in Germany which is close to switzerland, waterproof is acceptable as well. Only you americans need a different classifiaction as always :D

Pentax

Hi