Sign in to follow this  
bigbossa

Second hand repair

bigbossa

Hi Guys

The second hand on my Jackson Pam decided to drop off, is this a straight forward repair?

IMAG0240.jpg

KBH

Easy with a magnifier and steady hands.

If you have no proper tools, my suggestion is to cut and use the sticky end of a post-it note to pick up the hand and place it over the pin and use a toothpick cut in half to push it back down.

Also, don't touch anything with your greasy fingers and make sure you get the dust off the dial and case before you button it up. A clean artists brush will work for dusting it.

bigbossa

If you have no proper tools, my suggestion is to cut and use the sticky end of a post-it note to pick up the hand and place it over the pin and use a toothpick cut in half to push it back down.

Also, don't touch anything with your greasy fingers and make sure you get the dust off the dial and case before you button it up. A clean artists brush will work for dusting it.

Cheers man! yeah there seems to be some dust evident on the dial now. Want to get this watch going again as its my daily beater.

Thanks for your advice

dingle

that sucks bossa. Hope you get it repaired. Be sure the second hand is pressed "all the way" or the minute hand will get stuck as it passes over.

:lol:

pfcdre

also if i may add,make sure there is no kinetic energy left in the movement before you work on it, as the movnt can be damaged otherwise cheers.

bigbossa

Well at long last I got around to fixing the second hand ......but some how I have mucked things up big time! the watch is now running 45mins slow!! What can I do to fix this?

Some how like a complete idiot I thought all you do is move the pointer from minus to plus , looks like I have made things worse . When I first tried adjusting it the watch was only running slow by 4 mins after replacing the second hand.

Any advice guys ?

sconehead

...was it running slow prior to the second hand falling off?

Dendo
Well at long last I got around to fixing the second hand ......but some how I have mucked things up big time! the watch is now running 45mins slow!! What can I do to fix this?

Some how like a complete idiot I thought all you do is move the pointer from minus to plus , looks like I have made things worse . When I first tried adjusting it the watch was only running slow by 4 mins after replacing the second hand.

Any advice guys ?

4 minutes slow is a lot. 45 minutes is a disaster. Is it possible you moved the wrong lever, the stud carrier changes the isochronism and unless you have a timing machine you really should not touch it. There are several tutorials on this on this forum.

prestigewatchco

Very likely the second hand is on too far and is catching the dial

1st thing I would do before you start adjusting things is take second hand off and try it

bigbossa

Thanks for your replies guys, really cant remember if it was running that slow I'm sure it was pretty good as it was my daily watch. Took me along time to get around sorting the second because I was scared I might mess something up. Thanks for your tip Robert will give that a go.

Is there a way to set everything back to a rough starting point ? I may well have moved the stud carrier :wacko:

Edited by bigbossa

MikeMcNair

take 1 piece of paper out of your printer, and use this as a "spacer" when pressing the second hand on (paper between dial and hand)

if the paper pulls out easily, its too tall, press more.

if the paper pulls out with a TINY bit of resistance, yer all set.

as for the time, you bumped the regulater REALLY bad, simply adjust it.

MikeMcNair
Is there a way to set everything back to a rough starting point ? I may well have moved the stud carrier :kinkythegayviking:

release ALL tension in the watch (manually unwind it by releasing the click assembly and allowing it to SLOWLY unwind. set all hands at 12, set seconds hand at 12, and yer good to go.

bigbossa
take 1 piece of paper out of your printer, and use this as a "spacer" when pressing the second hand on (paper between dial and hand)

if the paper pulls out easily, its too tall, press more.

if the paper pulls out with a TINY bit of resistance, yer all set.

as for the time, you bumped the regulater REALLY bad, simply adjust it.

Hi Mike thanks for your reply "you bumped the regulater REALLY bad, simply adjust it" Yes I did :)

Funny the watch ran fine all day I moved the regulator back a little ( I guess closer to to where it was originally )...I guess approx 6 hours and then it lost 4-5 mins then it ran progressively slower.

So release all the tension set all the hands to 12.....and next ?

Edited by bigbossa

MikeMcNair

then manually adjust the regulator again, and see what she does. do this a few times until you really hone in on the + - 10 second mark, and fine tune from there.

IMO, i wait a full 24 hrs between EVERY adjustment so i know how far to adjust. also, rather than use the clock on your cell phone or anything like that, i use my DSSD to time watches now :)

bigbossa

then manually adjust the regulator again, and see what she does. do this a few times until you really hone in on the + - 10 second mark, and fine tune from there.

IMO, i wait a full 24 hrs between EVERY adjustment so i know how far to adjust. also, rather than use the clock on your cell phone or anything like that, i use my DSSD to time watches now :)

Thanks Mike let you know :clap:

bigbossa

Well all seemed to be going great and managed to get the watch so it was not running so slow. One thing that happened was the I undid the click screw too much and the blummin spring came out!! Sorted that out. the next day I found that the watch would not wind anymore...have messed up the keyless works ?

MikeMcNair
Well all seemed to be going great and managed to get the watch so it was not running so slow. One thing that happened was the I undid the click screw too much and the blummin spring came out!! Sorted that out. the next day I found that the watch would not wind anymore...have messed up the keyless works ?

most likely you put the click back in backwards, take a REALLY close look at it, there are a few "fingers", you have to have them SET PERFECT, or watch will not wind. GL!!

bigbossa

most likely you put the click back in backwards, take a REALLY close look at it, there are a few "fingers", you have to have them SET PERFECT, or watch will not wind. GL!!

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply , that did happen but I corrected that and it was ok. Then after sometime seemingly everything was ok and I was able to wind the movement, After sometime the watch stopped the ratchet and crown wheel do not turn when I try to wind the crown . The hands will adjust though

bigbossa

bump :wub: