cugine

Gold Plated/Wrapped & Color Bezels

cugine

Hi all - Much has been said and argued regarding the quality and longevity of Gold Plated and Wrapped style reps.  What about color?  For example, would the Green of the Rolex "Hulk" rep wear away/fade and have the same scratching issues as the Gold Plate/Wrap jobs?   Anybody have experience with this?  Is it a completely differently animal and can't maybe we can't accurately make that comparison?  Feel free to list your concerns/experiences with Gold Plated and Wrapped too if you'd like.  

GenTLe

The ceramic inserts aren't painted (apart few like the batman GMT from BP, not the one from noob) so they will not fade.
The aluminium ones with anodised colour will fade with sun but in years and like the gens.

cugine
10 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

The ceramic inserts aren't painted (apart few like the batman GMT from BP, not the one from noob) so they will not fade.
The aluminium ones with anodised colour will fade with sun but in years and like the gens.

appreciate the feedback.  Grazie

GenTLe

Addendum: the DLC coated (also called PVD) cases are well resistant too :)

cugine
1 minute ago, GenTLe said:

Addendum: the DLC coated (also called PVD) cases are well resistant too :)

ha noted.  It's a shame that  the rep factories (JF / Noob / etc) can't figure out a way to improve the Gold/Rose Gold plating to be more abuse hardened.   What are your thoughts regarding this?  Are gold plated reps from the better factories really that bad?  

GenTLe

No, but I don't use them often. Too flashy for me.
My mother Seiko ultrathin is plated. She got it as a present in 1987. Now the lugs are partially steel colour, but she wore them every day since then. I believe a rep treated like that can last like 1 year or 2 and then it will need a replating (which can be done).

cugine
1 minute ago, GenTLe said:

No, but I don't use them often. Too flashy for me.
My mother Seiko ultrathin is plated. She got it as a present in 1987. Now the lugs are partially steel colour, but she wore them every day since then. I believe a rep treated like that can last like 1 year or 2 and then it will need a replating (which can be done).

nice.  thanks for the info and feedback.  hopefully more folks chime in here.  

FoxWilde

As they said before, ceramic bezel inserts on reps will not fade. As for the gold, I have a gold TT sub I've used for almost half a year as a daily beater. I'd say if you get a gold plated rep, buy a spare bracelet or two so when the first one wears off after a few years, you can replace the bracelet. That's the part that wears off the most. I feel like it's cheaper than replating since spare bracelets are around 30-60 bucks from DHGate or TDs, all of generally good quality. Also the sunburst sub looks great on a rubber or leather strap. The plating on the bezel, and crown last quite longer than the bracelet

Fox

Glaude
2 hours ago, cugine said:

It's a shame that  the rep factories (JF / Noob / etc) can't figure out a way to improve the Gold/Rose Gold plating to be more abuse hardened. 

They simply don't care about longevity.

If the platting look good and is reasonably thought, that's good enough for them.
Why would they bother making it better ? That will not result in a lot more sales.

You can always try to find a local place that will do the job how you want it :) 

cugine
7 minutes ago, Glaude said:

They simply don't care about longevity.

If the platting look good and is reasonably thought, that's good enough for them.
Why would they bother making it better ? That will not result in a lot more sales.

You can always try to find a local place that will do the job how you want it :) 

You're outside the scope of my premise.  The post was intended to be a conversation about the different finishes....not what I personally want.  I stick to the stainless steal reps... it's safe.

Glaude
7 minutes ago, cugine said:

You're outside the scope of my premise.  The post was intended to be a conversation about the different finishes....not what I personally want.  I stick to the stainless steal reps... it's safe.

:blink:

You said it was a shame that they don't figure out a way to improve, I reacted on that only, that wasn't clear in my message or am I missing something ? 

cugine
18 minutes ago, Glaude said:

:blink:

You said it was a shame that they don't figure out a way to improve, I reacted on that only, that wasn't clear in my message or am I missing something ? 

In general it's my opinion that it's a shame however, it doesn't have an effect on me as a consumer/buyer of reps because I don't really do the gold/rose gold thing.  all good..   have a nice day.