ape

What to do? Stuck between a Rep and a Hard Place

ape

So I have a need for an Omega Speedmaster. I have wanted one of these since I started collecting watches, although that has not been a long time.  I find myself thinking speedmaster more than any other watch. After receiving my first 1:1 replica, or whatever I should call a very well executed replica watch, I went back to my TD and started thinking I should order a speedmaster replica. Now this is a tipping point for me.  I do not feel guilt getting a replica of a black dial dive watch that has seen so many homages it almost feels the same as buying a pair of jeans- meaning the basic formula has really been decided long ago. However, the Speedmaster and its moon watch history seems a horse of another color.  That is one special watch, with some serious history. No back alley watch factory is making a watch that would actually be able to go to the moon. But, addiction and desire are very powerful...

So there I was Omega Speedy rep on my screen, ready to send funds when I did something I thought I would never do. I asked my wife what she thought. She said why do you keep buying $300-500 watches? If you want a speedmaster, why not just save for the next year and buy one? Lots of thoughts and emotions went through my head. One being did she just green light my dream watch? And the other was fear. First, let me say that I was not completely sold on the Rep Speedy anyway. I had done some lurking around these parts, and the dial spacing issue was really becoming a deal breaker anyway. So it is possible I was looking for that other reason to stay when I was considering asking for another hit. But what she said really gave me pause. 

Certainly the rational being would say, "this makes complete sense, I will save up, get the watch I always wanted, and put the red check mark in the box - now move on to other life goals."

But who says I am rational. The thought of not ordering a cheap Chinese homage or  replica and getting it in the mail monthly makes me feel somehow empty or lost. I enjoy the dopamine rush from searching, reading about, ordering, worrying about shipping, and then opening that package once it arrives (later selling for a loss). To take that away? Maybe I never thought my wife would let me spend 3k-4k on a watch, and so I never really stared this decision in the face before. All I am saying is the struggle is real.  

I am going to try this saving for the genuine article, maybe it will be good for me, maybe I will cherish the watch more. 

What would you do? Have you been here yourself?

MOT

Its subjective man.......yes you got a green light.  (get it signed).  If your gonna get it, wear it, enjoy it and not care much about others then go for it.  If you want dollar for other shit then just get the rep, subjective....The watch you would have is reproduction any way.  You could put it on a balloon but that might pop in space.  Your not going to lose anything really, so if you can go without the dopamine (I like my dopamine) then it is the best solution to get the gen.  Only because there is no argument then.  Boring?  But you might not love it so much as you thought you might - bummer.  Subjective....Thing is, im yet to meet someone who loves watches that then becomes happy with one watch whilst they still love watches?  Watch lovers always want more, i will stand corrected.

It is SUBJECTIVE.  I put capitals because i am really writing to myself!  I wrangled with the whys hows shoulds ifs bollocks.  Someone said to me, get the reps, sell em, put it towards a gen.  i like that idea, whether i do or dont thats a good way to look at what i am spending.  More reps i get though, the more i like having more choice.  Let ongoing insanity ensue.  Flibaloddakingsij :irish_dance: 

Luxuracer
40 minutes ago, ape said:

But who says I am rational. The thought of not ordering a cheap Chinese homage or  replica and getting it in the mail monthly makes me feel somehow empty or lost. I enjoy the dopamine rush from searching, reading about, ordering, worrying about shipping, and then opening that package once it arrives (later selling for a loss). To take that away? Maybe I never thought my wife would let me spend 3k-4k on a watch, and so I never really stared this decision in the face before. All I am saying is the struggle is real.  

If your question was for any other watch, I would tell you to go ahead and get a rep.
But when it comes to the Speedy, I would tell you to listen to your wife and get a gen.

There are many reasons, but my main reasons are there isn't any 'good' rep of the iconic Speedy and it is a watch that deserve to have a gen in your collection.

JDM180

The rep wont scratch the speedy itch , But go and try the gen on. I always fancied one. Have a franken rep but don't really wear it much.  Tried the gen on one day and did not suit my wrist at all.

Thrasher

Many years before I even thought about reps, The second nice genuine watch I ever bought was a Omega Speedmaster #3592.50. For many years I have wanted other genuine watches but couldn't bring myself to spend the money even though I have it. Once I discovered reps it became insane to buy just one watch when you can have 40 + That being said the speedmaster is a must have in genuine!!!! 

_MG_1815a1007c940c2f63cf.jpg

KGrHqVg8FDfHnTziBQ9W9U7n60_57641a96044c9

ape
3 hours ago, Thrasher said:

Many years before I even thought about reps, The second nice genuine watch I ever bought was a Omega Speedmaster #3592.50. For many years I have wanted other genuine watches but couldn't bring myself to spend the money even though I have it. Once I discovered reps it became insane to buy just one watch when you can have 40 + That being said the speedmaster is a must have in genuine!!!! 

_MG_1815a1007c940c2f63cf.jpg

KGrHqVg8FDfHnTziBQ9W9U7n60_57641a96044c9

Beautiful watch! I wish I was able to buy a few years ago, seems like prices were better than today. I tried on at my local AD and was hard to hand it back over. Really just feels perfect in my opinion. 

Agree that this one must be the real deal. 

ape
4 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

If your question was for any other watch, I would tell you to go ahead and get a rep.
But when it comes to the Speedy, I would tell you to listen to your wife and get a gen.

There are many reasons, but my main reasons are there isn't any 'good' rep of the iconic Speedy and it is a watch that deserve to have a gen in your collection.

Excellent point, I definitely would try on a watch at this price point prior to buying. I really like the size and profile on my wrist. Interestingly I also looked at the genuine black bays and compared to my ZF I cannot see spending the extra for the genuine! So I guess it depends on the watch. 

deju

I always wanted a speedy, the dial issue was never going to fly with my OCD  found a used one on ebay made an offer of £1350 and got the watch. 

I agree it’s nice to chase reps but why not lower your spend and save? It’s a great watch for the money. 

odxKD.jpg

Luxuracer
7 minutes ago, ape said:

Excellent point, I definitely would try on a watch at this price point prior to buying. I really like the size and profile on my wrist. Interestingly I also looked at the genuine black bays and compared to my ZF I cannot see spending the extra for the genuine! So I guess it depends on the watch. 

I have a strange bittersweet relationship with the Speedmaster Moonwatch.
I felt in love and bought a gen Speedy back in 2009. Back then I only worn 35-36mm Omega and Rolex watches. Even my Aqua Terra 38.5mm was consider 'too' big for me, so imagine how I felt about a 42mm watch. I worn it twice and ended up gave it to my brother.

When I got into rep, I started to buy and wear watches that I never thought I would wear. Now I wear anything from 40mm to 47mm. I can not get myself to buy a rep Speedy since I owned a gen (I do have a white dial rep Snoopy Speedy). I told myself that when I no longer have fun with rep, I will buy couple of luxury gen and call it a day, and one of them will be a Speedy. Right now I am having to much fun with my 70+ reps.

CurioLeo

Your dream watch is Speedy, you can afford it, you got a green light from the boss to get a gen. What is there to debate ??? If it turns out not  to be as much a dream as you had hoped, so what - you can sell it any time and move on.

Genius

Speedy you have to go gen, the reps are shit. Either quartz 21j and functionally deficient or the good rep with the Venus and awful sub dial spacing.  I went gen and never regretted it, was the first expensive watch I ever saved for and bought with my own money

ape

Thanks everyone. Looks like I’m in Watch Buyers Anonymous for the next 10 months while I save. But you guys are right, I really want the real deal. I can just look for your pics and live vicariously. 

Maybe I can finish the review I’ve started on this ZF Harrods Black Bay in the meantime:funky:

McGilli

@ape I've enjoyed your reviews for 'cheap' watches ;) so obviously now I'm looking forward toto a review from you for an expensive watch. I can only imagine it's like the difference between me filming my own Alien movie in my bathroom with my camera phone by candle-light, as opposed to Ridley Scott with a $100m budget for a new Alien movie.

16 hours ago, ape said:

I enjoy the dopamine rush from searching, reading about, ordering, worrying about shipping, and then opening that package once it arrives

That was my favourite part - and that's actually why I have Rolex reps now. I don't really like Rolex, and would never want one - but getting into this site - seeing what people had, sing all the research, looking at photos, checking out TD's websites - just knowing they were fake (I liked that) - cuz I'm ok with counterfeit stuff - so it was a lot of fun.

And I say it WAS my fave part since I bought my genuine Deep Blue, and then the Balls. Never had the urge again. But - I was able to pull the trigger immediately - and not have to wait for a year. Which would be really, really hard like you say.

But with 1Billion photos on this forum - you can hold out... they can hold you over :)

RussP

If you can afford a gen version of the watch you love, you won't regret it.

Reps are for watches that are beyond reach of most average Joe's.

ape
16 hours ago, McGilli said:

@ape I can only imagine it's like the difference between me filming my own Alien movie in my bathroom with my camera phone by candle-light, as opposed to Ridley Scott with a $100m budget for a new Alien movie.

I think we all need to see this movie. 

16 hours ago, McGilli said:

@ape

my genuine Deep Blue, and then the Balls. 

Deep Blue Balls huh? hahaha 

No I get it, I can’t ever see buying a Rolex. Just doesn’t seem worth it. I can’t even imagine spending the 4k for a new speedmaster, but that is the plan. Will see how long I can hold out..

ape
16 hours ago, RussP said:

If you can afford a gen version of the watch you love, you won't regret it.

Reps are for watches that are beyond reach of most average Joe's.

Afford every 1-2 years yes. Otherwise, I definitely fall into the average Joe category. I also think reps are a good way to find out if the sacrifice is worth it. I realize this is :DeadHorse:

but still rings true. 

Other reasons to buy a rep? Well what if you want several dial iterations of the same watch? How many black bays or subs can a guy afford? Me ? I will be happy to have one gen Black Bay. Can’t see multiple in my future at the prices they command

Kernow

Whilst there are super reps of some watches, the Speedy Pro reps are poor and you’ll never be happy with one. I wanted a Speedy Pro and tried a cheap 21J rep just so as I could try it for comfort on the wrist, it was never a long term relationship! I think I wore it for about 4 hours and then gave it to my niece who liked it. Later that week I bought my new Speedy Pro Moonwatch from Watches Of Switzerland in London. I never regretted it even though it’s not worn that often. Go get the gen. 

Edited by Kernow

julian2002

Personally if i got the green light from the Mrs to do this I'd be straight off to my local horological emporium offering 0% interest and have that baby on my wrist quick-smart before she decides some room needs new carpet or some other frippery.

narikaa

Jees just get the watch

and be thankful the object of your desire is not an expensive one

Try also try & get yourself a 'y' chromosome too (if you'd had one from the get-go you'd have had the speedy long ago, and would never be dictated to by a woman)

Alan32

Ape, my dear chap, the logical thing to do is to save for the Gen (after fondling it at your local dealer) then  in a year or two, you will not only have the Gen but will re-find the joy of rep collecting :mellow:

Just remember whilst you save for your dream.......I am strong! I can do this!................don't listen to the bad men..................precious , my precious.............:imok:

Landlocked Surfer
18 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Jees just get the watch

Try also try & get yourself a 'y' chromosome too (if you'd had one from the get-go you'd have had the speedy long ago, and would never be dictated to by a woman)

LOL...! Diplomatic as ever Reg

@ape If you’re UK based. Watches of Switzerland in LHR T5 or Harrods in T2 will give you vat free prices for flying anywhere with no negotiation required. Barter hard with them and you’ll be able to get down to £2800 quite easily. Then stick that on a long 0% Balance Transfer offer....less than £100 per month

narikaa

almost....

Put it on a long 0% purchase card and pay NO 'transfer' fees

bobandshawn
22 minutes ago, narikaa said:

almost....

Put it on a long 0% purchase card and pay NO 'transfer' fees

NEVER seen a card with both 0% and NO Transfer fee....

B

Tits McGee
1 hour ago, narikaa said:

Jees just get the watch

Now that’s a big league “bitch slap”. :rofl: