Undinist

Are 7750 Daytona prices dropping because of the newer alternatives?

Undinist

We don't hear so much about the 7750 Daytonas these days...are there big stocks of them somewhere, which might be sold off cheaply? Are some of you guys mentally consigning the 7750 to the dustbin of history? 

FoxWilde

Never was a fan of them. Sat really high off the wrist compared to gen. Better options for Daytona reps now. They’re still made by OMF and JF, and they have good quality finishing/dial. 

As for a discount...........let’s just leave it as they’re cheaper than the great reps. 

Fox

blueoysterboy
On 15/01/2019 at 18:06, Undinist said:

We don't hear so much about the 7750 Daytonas these days...are there big stocks of them somewhere?

@NCRich has all of them

slashdotcom

There is a great options now. Just take a NOOB with their movement...i'm really happy with it. I received my 116519LN few days ago and i'm really impressed with the quality.

Jasonbaylee

NCRich bought or Acquired All of them? No kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deju
36 minutes ago, Jasonbaylee said:

NCRich bought or Acquired All of them? No kidding!

Last I checked he buys them by weight now :lol:

Jasonbaylee

NCrich a new TD dealer Hurrray!

Rx4Time
On 15/01/2019 at 17:06, Undinist said:

We don't hear so much about the 7750 Daytonas these days...are there big stocks of them somewhere, which might be sold off cheaply? Are some of you guys mentally consigning the 7750 to the dustbin of history? 

They're quite unreliable and I wouldn't waste my money on them. I had one back in the day and they look very unbalanced on the wrist. 

Aren
On 18/01/2019 at 21:30, blueoysterboy said:

@NCRich has all of them

:lmao: 

but probably closer to true than Rich would admit!

Undinist
22 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

They're quite unreliable and I wouldn't waste my money on them. I had one back in the day and they look very unbalanced on the wrist. 

I've never seen one, real or fake. Does the 7750 really look that bad? Maybe you wouldn't notice the height if you had spent less time reading about it here?;)

As for reliability...hmm...i get the impression from posters here that it's better than it used to be, and quite easy to get it serviced  if you live in the UK.

BadPickle
8 minutes ago, Undinist said:

I've never seen one, real or fake. Does the 7750 really look that bad? Maybe you wouldn't notice the height if you had spent less time reading about it here?;)

As for reliability...hmm...i get the impression from posters here that it's better than it used to be, and quite easy to get it serviced  if you live in the UK.

It’s the secs not in its native position thingy that’s always been the issue, the real deal Rolex Daytona has an in house movement which wasn’t cloned in the past so the reps used an A7750 with secs shifted to the 6position which cause extra strain on the gears so the rep wasn’t 1:1 AA++++ plus it lacked longevity... 

Now some clever fucker has repped the in house 4130, so it’s happy days for the giddy Rolex rep collectors now,,,,, so far that is,,,, the real test will be when/if there’s an issue and parts aren’t available. 

I think you’re getting a tad mixed up about the A7750, yes it’s better than it used to be as long as it’s in it’s standard configuration, as for getting someone to service it... :ohwell: good luck 

Rx4Time
4 hours ago, Undinist said:

You are probably thinking of the modern ARF with a 7750.  That's only like a half milimeter thicker then gen so not noticible.  The older ones are roughly 3 mm thicker and had a much more complex module making all the subdials functional (somewhat).  The most noticeable part of the height was the bezel, which is almost flat on the genuine and protrudes markedly on the older 7750 based ones.  The other issue was the geartrain which made them pretty unreliable.  There are only a couple of watchsmiths who would touch them, and one has since retired.  Below is a side profile picture I found on repgeek.  notice the protruding caseback which would add the the odd positioning on the wrist.  I had one and sold it as the thickness and overall odd characteristics on the wrist made it a rarely work choice. 

IMG_0865a7280.jpg

Aren

Here are a couple of reviews here and on our sister site RWI so someone reading this  can make some comparisons.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/6951666-noob-daytona-vs-arf-daytona

and

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/7002743-daytona-arf-noob-v1-and-noob-v2-2018-dial-and-bezel-analysis

Although this will not answer your question about the market,  these reviews could be a good starting place for someone attracted by your caption to know what others are are looking for in the Daytona.

Deciding what prices are considered cheap or expensive depends on quality (usually - for the informed), so knowing  the quality of the Daytona can be a research project. 

Your question is a really good one and I wish I knew the answer.  I have wondered  about it myself, and not just about the Daytona but other widely repped popular watches.  I don't know if there is an answer but with so many watch shops in China these days, there are probably many versions of all of the most popular watches, and it just boils down to price for what you are willing to pay as an informed buyer.

I have a reeeeeaaaaaaally old rep Daytona.  I think is has a cheap DG2813 movement not an A 7750.

:)

Undinist

I'm drawn to the one with the chocolate bezel and blue dial,  but I'm discouraged by the lack of functions. It doesn't even have a date! So I would at least like a working chrono. which I would use quite a lot, as a kitchen timer. 

Or I could just not buy a Daytona...I'm very content with my daily beater, a gold Sub. If it had weekday I wouldn't need anything else.  It's a shame that Rolex don't make triple date models any more.  Never seen them  repped either. 

xtriple

I have one! Bought from one of the forums M2M,  A7750, brown bezel blue dal. I've worn it a lot and the only thing that has gone wrong (so far) is the blue has faded away and left an absolutely beautiful silvery white with a bluish tint dial that looks a million times better than original! I tend to wear it for a few weeks at a time and then retire it when something else comes along but I always seem to go back to it.

I have flat wrists and it sits fine, the secs at 6 works fine, the chronograph works fine and I have left that running for hours before now. It is also a good timekeeper (about 8 secs a day) and the power reserve is good(42  hours or so).

I did not know anything about the dreadful reliability of these things when I bought it and have been waiting expectantly for it to die for ages, but so far, it seems happy enough. Of course, having bragged about how wonderful it is, it will cark any minute!  :)  Either I have been lucky so far or they are not as bad as they are made out to be?

To be honest, when/if it dies, I will be really upset as with its new dial colour (which faded quite rapidly, certainly in the first few weeks of constant wear) I do love it. I know it's thicker than a genuine one but it is absolutely NOT noticeable when on the wrist.  So, if anyone knows of a watch repairer in the UK that could repair this (just getting ready in case) that would be great.

Undinist

Great story! Got any pics? 

Maybe you could fit a gen 7750 movement - I think a watch in M2M recently had a gen Omega movement? Can't remember.