Sign in to follow this  
edwelly

Need help with an Omega I just bought... THANKS!

edwelly

Hello all. I have a wonderful little vintage Omega Automatic Geneve model. Now I do not know much about vintage watch other than I have always wanted to own a nice, small dress watch that is GEN so this worked perfectly for me. Can anyone recommend a watch smith in the USA I may contact about sending this to be worked on?

Taken from the sales ad I bought it on: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthrea...mega-76148.html

Here is an Omega that I purchased on Ebay a few years ago from a watchmaker. It runs well, but I do not know what kind of movement. Pictures of movement are below; experts please help with identifying. It is gold plated, but as you can see the case is discoloring and I really do not know what kind of gold plating it is. The band it comes with is black leather after market in good condition. This watch does not have sapphire crystal, looks like it was replaced with seems to be non glass, but I am not sure what type it is, but it does not have any scratch on it. The problem this watch has is that when you pop the crown out and try to adjust the time and date, the crown comes off when you turn it several times. It screws back on, but until this is fixed, you cannot change the time nor date. This watch has been sitting in a zip lock bag and I have been wanting to take it to a watchmaker to fix, but I do not have the time.

IMG_0843.jpg

Ska

I can't believe you got that for $80.

I hate you!!

Seriously though nice one!

Try giving mikemcnair a pm.

powderfreak
I can't believe you got that for $80.

I hate you!!

Seriously though nice one!

Try giving mikemcnair a pm.

+1

and... lovely piece! why don't I find stuff like that in the bay?? :lol:

edwelly

I know. I am so excited about this! I have a watch going to Mike now but I wanting someone to possibly restore the watch for me and redo the casing on her.

edwelly

I got my Omega last night and I am taking her to a watch-smith (is that the correct term?) on Saturday. I choose this route as I am hoping to establish a relationship with the local watch guys here.

I will take some before shots tomorrow night.

Erik

houndoggie

nice deal. Dial is in perfect condition.

Indiana surely has some watch makers.

Geneve was omegas low end model, probably never came with sapphire crystal.. only acrylic.

Any watch maker could service it and polish the case. Probably cost about $150-$200 to do that.

edwelly

So I took it to the only place I could s find someone local to work on the watch. The are a licensed Omega repair facility. Cost for full service is $380 - :Whistle: - but according to the guy their, it would look almost new when they were finished - so I left it there to be serviced. I figured that one of two things would happen:

1) they would open the watch and upon realizing it is a fake stop working immediately and this cost me nothing

2) they would make her beautiful and I would have a nice, working Omega that I can pass down to my son for less than $500

tissotman

Did you ever get this done ? I could have re gold played the case no problem if your stuck give me pm