CanRep

316L beats 904L - change my mind

CanRep

I'm a little confused why there is this craze for the 904L steel. In my mind, there is no difference in the appearance from 316L. Moreover, 904L is a slightly softer alloy meaning you are going to get those pesky desk dives more readily. And wait, you want me to pay MORE for this?

I can't be the only one who thinks it's crazy to pay more to say a watch is a better rep with no other tangible value ad for the cost. 

Edited by CanRep

Realism
1 minute ago, CanRep said:

I'm a little confused why there is this craze for the 904L steel. In my mind, there is no difference in the appearance from 316L. Moreover, 904L is a slightly softer alloy meaning you are going to get those pesky desk dives more readily. And wait, you want me to pay MORE for this?

I can't be the only one who thinks it's crazy to pay more to say a watch is a better rep with no other tangible value ad for the cost. 

The goal of buying a replica is to get as close to the genuine article as possible.

Prior to the ARF, V6F, Noob,etc... Having a 904L replica was not possible... This "new" thing is only a year old... The excitement is still fresh in the minds...

Consumers are obviously paying more, and factories are noticing this... This trend of increased pricing/gimmicks isn't changing anytime soon

deju

Imagine paying more to have a more realistic 1:1 watch.  The bloody cheek of it! 

No one is forcing you to buy one. 

I mean now you mention it, I’m going to Franken my gen. Screw that 904l steel I want 316l now. 

BadApple

FYI - 904 on the left 316 on the right.......

DSCF6884.jpg

DSCF6886.jpg

CanRep
27 minutes ago, Realism said:

The goal of buying a replica is to get as close to the genuine article as possible.

Prior to the ARF, V6F, Noob,etc... Having a 904L replica was not possible... This "new" thing is only a year old... The excitement is still fresh in the minds...

Consumers are obviously paying more, and factories are noticing this... This trend of increased pricing/gimmicks isn't changing anytime soon

Fair enough. I completely get that if there is demand there will be supply from the dealers (I'd do the same if I was selling) and I think part of being fairly new to reps is simply starting to understand the extreme interest people have in creating these perfect clones. It's incredibly admirable to see the passion that the Rep community has, and happy to now be a part of it. I'm just trying to figure out if I'll ever get to that level too lol! 

23 minutes ago, deju said:

Imagine paying more to have a more realistic 1:1 watch.  The bloody cheek of it! 

I mean now you mention it, I’m going to Franken my gen. Screw that 904l steel I want 316l now. 

Haha don't worry, I'm an accountant and not one of those whiney people that feels like expenses are being forced on them with new watches. I can assure you that I buy what I want, and am in no way complaining that these prices are somehow being "forced" on me lol (I can't stand that type of thinking). I honestly welcome the choice for others, but genuinely wanted to see if there was some sort of reasoning that I wasn't aware of for the 904L beyond the realism aspect (sorry, my frugal accounting ways are coming through!).

On a side note, I completely support your thinking and would be more than happy to take that Gen 904L bracelet off your hands as it's probably junk to you now and I'd be doing you a favor taking it (for free of course) :D.

16 minutes ago, BADAPPLE said:

FYI - 904 on the left 316 on the right.......

DSCF6884.jpg

DSCF6886.jpg

Honestly, really appreciate these comparison shots! I can actually see that there is a slight bit of difference between them now, just not enough for me. I just can't shake my practicality and putting a more hardened steel as a higher priority than the look! Again, thanks for sharing these! 

deju

No body would call out 316l vs 904l.

It's probably all a bit emperors new clothes. 

Personally found the way the 904l on the rep caught the light in a whiter brighter hue than the 316l rep. 

For me the gen no matter how battered it gets with a quick polish it really sparkles and catches the light, compared to replicas which in hand are always slightly duller. 

@peedog would probably agree as the franken he sold me, he also has in gen form and I have access to the gen of aswell.      

I therefore think that the watch will wear similar to the gen and it reflects  light to a brighter whiter hue. But it's very much an 'Emperor's New Clothes'  situation still.

It realistically would never be a tell. 

I would also argue that the noob 216750 is a better, more solid watch than a gen 16570... but it's all relative  

Glaude
1 hour ago, Realism said:

+1

1 hour ago, deju said:

but also +1

43 minutes ago, CanRep said:

Honestly, really appreciate these comparison shots! I can actually see that there is a slight bit of difference between them now, just not enough for me. I just can't shake my practicality and putting a more hardened steel as a higher priority than the look! Again, thanks for sharing these! 

Except there isn't because of the steel used, just because on some of the 904L alleged steel, factories or part supplier took better care of the finish (brushing in that case) and this induces a different reflection of the light and an overall better quality feel (But we are yet to have more tests done on it now, some examples where in 904L when all this thing came out, what the state of that now... is yet to be determined) everything else is just your mind playing tricks.
If there are some machinists around, they must have laughed their ass off when reading the BS Rolex served about new tools needed because of the hardness of 904L, the complicated process that it is to work with... 316L and 904L are so similar that you need to have a test done to differentiate them. There are not millions of steel used to machine parts, and 904L certainly doesn't require a different type of tool than 316L.
There are different qualities of 316L and 904L and they can overlap in terms of properties. The only thing that will really differentiate them are their corrosion resistance in certain conditions and on the long term

NCRich

This year's swan neck/incabloc/lume/etc, etc., etc.

Oh, and let's not forget the new super duper 3xxx movements!

Just send me your hard earned money.

deju
Just now, NCRich said:

This year's swan neck/incabloc/lume/etc, etc., etc.

Oh, and let's not forget the new super duper 3xxx movements!

Just send me your hard earned money.

No problem, send me that Monte Carlo :thumbsup:

slashdotcom

Guys, here the matter is different. Is not about which steel is better, is about the watch being closer to the gen. If i have to buy a Rolex rep i would prefer the 904L even if the price is higher.

On the wrist no one can tell if it's 316 or 904, it's just for a personal satisfaction .

P.S. On closer look by the way the 904 can be finished better and reflect the light differently how @Glaude said

CanRep
37 minutes ago, Glaude said:

+1

but also +1

Except there isn't because of the steel used, just because on some of the 904L alleged steel, factories or part supplier took better care of the finish (brushing in that case) and this induces a different reflection of the light and an overall better quality feel (But we are yet to have more tests done on it now, some examples where in 904L when all this thing came out, what the state of that now... is yet to be determined) everything else is just your mind playing tricks.
If there are some machinists around, they must be laughing their ass off when reading the BS Rolex served about new tools needed because of the hardness of 904L, the complicated process that it is to work with... 316L and 904L are so similar that you need to have a test done to differentiate them. There are not millions of steel used to machine parts, and 904L certainly doesn't require a different type of tool than 316L.
There are different qualities of 316L and 904L and they can overlap in terms of properties. The only thing that will really differentiate them are their corrosion resistance in certain conditions and on the long term

It's funny, my dads a machinist and we owned a commercial steel company. It's actually why I was scratching my head at this whole thing from the beginning. I genuinely see a difference from the pics, but agree that it's due to polishing. I just assumed that the factories were taking more care with the new bracelets and their finishes, so ultimately still providing a slightly aesthetically different result. 

Let me assure you that you are completely right regarding Rolex and their BS marketing. New tools Hahaha, just about spit out my coffee haha. It's interesting stuff, and I think I'm gonna chat with pops the next day or two and get his thoughts! 

Edited by CanRep

CanRep
2 minutes ago, slashdotcom said:

Guys, here the matter is different. Is not about which steel is better, is about the watch being closer to the gen. If i have to buy a Rolex rep i would prefer the 904L even if the price is higher.

On the wrist no one can tell if it's 316 or 904, it's just for a personal satisfaction .

P.S. On closer look by the way the 904 can be finished better and reflect the light differently how @Glaude said

Completely agree, and think its great for people such as yourselves who are simply looking for the closest Rep. Out there and happy with what they get. Honestly, all the power to people wanting the 904L, I just wanted to get some discussion to better understand people's thoughts/views. Appreciate the feedback! 

Glaude
1 minute ago, slashdotcom said:

I understand, but I would have though that being rep enthusiast we are here for the best value or best bang for your bucks, paying more for something that won't be visible is contradictory to me, but that how I see it and if people are happy with the satisfactory feeling that they have the same steel or they are closer to gen, I'm happy too :) 

Pob

Are you guys even sure it is 904L and not just marketing tricks to get us to pay more? Anyone actually tested and confirmed that? 

I sure see no difference 

Glaude
9 minutes ago, CanRep said:

I genuinely see a difference from the pics, but agree that it's due to polishing. I just assumed that the factories were taking more care with the new bracelets and their finishes, so ultimately still providing a slightly aesthetically different result

Correct at least for ARF that produce a really nice finished bracelet, but I don't think this has to do with the steel used rather than the care they took to do it right

10 minutes ago, CanRep said:

Let me assure you that you are completely right regarding Rolex and their BS marketing. New tools Hahaha, just about spit out my coffee haha

Pretty sure they invested in a whole new line of machines in their factory when they changed steel, but that was probably because they recycle chips and don't want them mixed up with 316L, but you can't say that in a luxury marketing brochure :D 

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Are you guys even sure it is 904L and not just marketing tricks to get us to pay more? Anyone actually tested and confirmed that? 

I sure see no difference 

There was a test done, at the begining of that whole new steel BS, on both bracelet and case, and it was confirmed on RWI that this was 904L (lab result posted), but nothing has been done since, so who knows if they are still using that or no

Luxuracer

There is NO visible differences between 316L and 904L steels. You can not tell the difference with your naked eyes, just look at the Noob Sub 316L and 904L. They are identical with the same finish and the exact same look. ARF finishing is better than Noob even on 316L. It all come down to the quality of the finishing, not the steel itself.

In repworld, 904L steel only exist because of the search for a 'perfect' Submariner replica. Supply and Demand, people want it, so rep 'factories' make them.

slashdotcom
12 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I understand, but I would have though that being rep enthusiast we are here for the best value or best bang for your bucks, paying more for something that won't be visible is contradictory to me, but that how I see it and if people are happy with the satisfactory feeling that they have the same steel or they are closer to gen, I'm happy too :) 

Really good point Glaude, i started exactly for this reason, but now the price of the reps is going higher and higher...and the people buy them.(including me).

So probably the rule "best bang for your bucks" is not valid anymore :) Crazy hobby....

Realism
6 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

There is NO visible differences between 316L and 904L steels. You can not tell the difference with your naked eyes, just look at the Noob Sub 316L and 904L. They are identical with the same finish and the exact same look. ARF finishing is better than Noob even on 316L. It all come down to the quality of the finishing, not the steel itself.

In repworld, 904L steel only exist because of the search for a 'perfect' Submariner replica. Supply and Demand, people want it, so rep 'factories' make them.

It sounds shallow... But it's all about the looks...

People will pay... Whinings have been heard since Noob Sub v1,2,3...9,10... And this will continue ... Yet they can never make the perfect 100 replica. There's always something missing

BenjaminButton

The aim for some may be to get a replica as close to the genuine as possible - certainly isn’t my aim. Vive la différence. Couldn’t give a flying fuck for the indistinguishable differences in stainless steels introduced by Rolex to create a differential in a very crowded market. My tight arse and eyesight forbid me from forking out the silly money for reps. The trickle down of brand BS and the alleged replica pursuit of accuracy is an open season for inaccurate pricing. Fashion! Turn to right. Fashion! Turn to the left. :blah:

BadApple

If the people in the outside world (not on Planet RWG) were all equipped with micrometers, magnifying glasses and reference books then we should all strive to get perfection.

Seeing as most people see our wristkit from at closest two feet then why bother. 

Jibuti
59 minutes ago, deju said:

No problem, send me that Monte Carlo :thumbsup:

get in line, mate....

deju
3 minutes ago, jibuti said:

get in line, mate....

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c4894f85072587867

CanRep

Amazing. A star wars gif on my post. I feel as though I have officially made it on this forum right now!

Edited by CanRep

Alpha_and_omega

If I’m not mistaken besides the fact it’s what gens are made of the appeal of 904L lies in the fact that it’s alloy allows for easier buffing and also is far more corrosion resistant. Sry for commenting on a thread from so long ago lol I’m just going through looking for tips on a build I’m beginning.