Zarb

Zenith Type 20 GMT

Zarb

Hey Guys,

Newbie here....from Canada

Have read a lot of the posts that have been suggested on this forum....what to look for and expect from a rep watch, how to order, who are the trusted dealers, manufacturers, etc....

I think I have a pretty good knowledge base to actually purchase my first rep thanks to all the posts on this forum!  Actually I almost purchased the watch I wanted from a scam website before I found this forum!  Thank God that didn't happen!

So now that I am ready to pull the trigger I have really only one question before I hit ENTER and that is concerning the movement inside the watch.  I have tried searching posts for this exact watch and have not found any on this forum.....Most people have purchased the NON GMT version of this watch which has a completely different movement inside.

What I am looking for is for some enlightenment on weather or not one movement is better than the other....

There is only a $30 difference between the 2 reps (there is a 3rd but it is way too different from the Gen that I am not considering it).  

So my question is :  Is one movement really better than the other??????

The info I have found on the TD's websites state that one movement is an Asian Seagull Automatic Movement, 28800vph,  and the other is an A23J automatic movement.

My concern is with the longevity and the amount of reserve with each movement.  Since there is only a $30 difference between the two I would assume that the quality of either may be similar unless there is someone that could tell me different.

I am actually leaning towards the A23J movement watch only because its number plate on the side of the watch is "stamped" like the Gen  (see pics) and the other is just painted on the plate.  But if the Seagull movement is really better than the A23J I will get that one instead.  I would rather have the better movement as apposed to a watch that is from what I can tell only different vis a vis the side number plate......

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!......

Here is a pic of the Gen...

rcMID.md.jpg

Here is a pic of the A23J movement watch....

rckOU.md.jpg

Ans here is a pic of the seagull moment watch.....

rc2s8.md.png

Other than this difference, they both look exactly the same - even the leather straps......

Oh yes one more question.....Does anyone know if there is a TD in Shanghai?  I am a pilot and am there quite a bit....would be nice to actually meet someone face to face and just pick up my watch there and avoid all the stress/cost/customs of having the watch shipped to me here in Canada....

Thanks again for any input!

KarmaToBurn

I can't help really with the movement situation. It is possible that the movements are the same and one dealer lists the Seagull movement as A23J. The price difference may just be a result of different dealers. I would personally go for the less expensive one in this situation. 

As for meeting a TD in person, I'm pretty sure no dealers would be willing to meet with a buyer in person (especially a new one). 

mr.tourette

Id go for the sea gull movement personally for no other reason than I have a watch with a sea gull movement (st19) and it looks very well built and runs beautifully with perfect timekeeping right out the box, might be wrong but I dont think you will get a face to face meet with a td, some of the more experienced members may chip in with a different opinion though.  Best of luck 

Zarb

Thanks for the quick replies and info....I do not necessarily need to meet the TD....  

Maybe there is a TD in Shanghai or (China) for that matter, and I could have the watch delivered to the Hotel I stay at.....may be a better option than sending it out of the country and across the world.....

Didn't realize these guys were apprehensive about completing a transaction in person....no biggy!

Cheers!

deju

:rofl:

one serial number is stamped the other is painted. 

But magically all versions have the same serial number

oh my :facepalm: 

the cases are the same! I mean pure time j23 clearly shows it’s embossed  serial. 

Why do people pour over and dissect images, with no concise ration for lighting and angles. 

Go on... tell us how they have different coloured screws for the serial plates on different versions :lol: 

if you’re going to ocd pour over images from dealer stock, use the same site, then it’s more likely the same camera and lighting. 

Glaude
3 hours ago, deju said:

:rofl:

one serial number is stamped the other is painted. 

But magically all versions have the same serial number

oh my :facepalm: 

the cases are the same! I mean pure time j23 clearly shows it’s embossed  serial. 

Why do people pour over and dissect images, with no concise ration for lighting and angles. 

Go on... tell us how they have different coloured screws for the serial plates on different versions :lol: 

if you’re going to ocd pour over images from dealer stock, use the same site, then it’s more likely the same camera and lighting. 

Making fun of a nice newbie ! Mean deju is mean ! :lol: 

That the sort of knowledge he couldn't possibly get from reading the various threads ;) 

I think too that the watches are the same and the impression of one serial being just painted is the result of the lighting condition of the picture.

As for meeting with a TD or having a watch delivered to a hotel, it's better to ask some TD directly to see what they can offer you, they'll be interested by any safe and quick method of dealing but what is safe or quick for them is very dependant of each TD :) 

Zarb

Thanks for your 2 cents deju...much appreciated!

I assume the whole idea of a rep is to be as close to the Gen as possible right?

I am not looking for EVERYTHING to be exact....and I know that the pics have different lighting and angles etc....

AND I know the cases are the same!  I would like to think that I was NOT over dissecting pics but merely noticing that there was a difference from one to the other - or in other words doing my research.  

These are probably watches coming from 2 different plants or maybe one is just a new version but from the same plant - don't really know or care that much to tell you the truth...

It doesn't matter so much either way which is why I am posing the question in the first place (about the movement), BUT if I or YOU had a choice I think we would both want the "version" that had the embossed numbers (like the gen) as opposed to the "painted" numbers of the other one....

Whether or not you agree doesn't  matter as I am buying the watch...

Zarb

Glaude,

Don't worry about being mean...I was expecting at least one sarcastic reply!  Like most of the posts on this forum....

I take everything with a grain of salt....

I still beg to differ about the lighting conditions of the pics....but I know that when I get the QC pics from the TD's I will know for sure!

Cheers!

Glaude
2 hours ago, Zarb said:

Like most of the posts on this forum....

That's what we do best :lol: 

Yeah QC pic will clear that out for you :) 

Zarb

Glaude,

I knew what to expect!  lol!  Takes a lot to get my knickers all tied up in a knot!  Some other people not so much!

Appreciate all feedback!  Great entertainment!

Cheers!

Mike R

Welcome aboard  Zarb, your moving in the rite direction. Cheers

deju
10 hours ago, Glaude said:

Making fun of a nice newbie ! Mean deju is mean ! :lol: 

That the sort of knowledge he couldn't possibly get from reading the various threads ;) 

I think too that the watches are the same and the impression of one serial being just painted is the result of the lighting condition of the picture.

As for meeting with a TD or having a watch delivered to a hotel, it's better to ask some TD directly to see what they can offer you, they'll be interested by any safe and quick method of dealing but what is safe or quick for them is very dependant of each TD :) 

you know it was more our inside joke than directed fully at @Zarb, Plus OP gets the humour round here.

I can openly admit I made this exact issue in QC of my uboat Chimera and the serial plaque, After toro Explained I was being a Stupid Gweilo. I accepted and of course he was right :lol: 

brang1
1 hour ago, deju said:

you know it was more our inside joke than directed fully at @Zarb, Plus OP gets the humour round here.

I can openly admit I made this exact issue in QC of my uboat Chimera and the serial plaque, After toro Explained I was being a Stupid Gweilo. I accepted and of course he was right :lol: 

Stupid Gweilo   nuff said