Sign in to follow this  
johnny woozer

Going to BKK soon - And I'm back now

johnny woozer

Hi,

The first week of june we're leaving for Bangkok for a holiday in Thailand. This will be the 2nd time we're going there.

One of the first things we're going to do is visiting the MBK shopping centre for the first time, trying to find some nice watches. My first 'quality' watches by the way.

One thing is for sure, I'm going to visit the Nah Piek store on the grond floor of MBK. I've read on several forums that that's the only place in MBK to find the good stuff.

If there is anybody on this forum who can give me some advice, I would realy appreciate. Maybe there are more good quality shops over there?

Anyhow, if I am successfull in buying one or more I will try to post some pictures of a origingal MBK/NP(MBW) watch somewhere the end of june.

Johnny

Edited by johnny woozer

trailboss99

Who hoo! You lucky bugger! If you go to MBK take plenty of money and not just for reps. The place is amazing!

Here is the directions to Nah Piek:

Enter MBK on the ground floor middle entrance and turn left, headed towards the KFC restaurant. About half ways down on the left there are rows of small shops. Find the watch shop. That is the one and only mbw shop. If you want to find exact location go to the mbk website and look up the fllor plans. Mbw shop is directly across from shop 1B-20 close to a camera shop and a pharmacy.

MBK center web site: www.mbk-center.com/en/

A repost from watchuseek.com:

I have looked around for second hand watches in Bangkok and can give you the following suggestions for new and second hand watch stores in the Sukhumvit Road area of Bangkok.

1) World Trade Centre: 4th floor. Papaya. This is actually several small adjacent stores. They have lots of Omega, GP, Rolex and I recently saw a couple of Fortis amongst others.

2) World trade Centre: On the ground floor, next to Chester?s Grill, there is a small store. They have many brands; Patek Philippe, Rolex, Breguet and more.

3) Troccadero Time has two stores in World Trade Centre on different floors. They have many brands of luxury watches. They also have a branch at Discovery Centre that has a fine selection of Oris and Seiko?s, Baume & Mercier, Tag Heuer and seems to be a bit less upmarket than their WT stores.

4) Pendulum, Peninsula Plaza (Peninsula Hotel), have a small display window inside that has 2nd hand watches. This is a luxury watch store that also has branches at World Trade Centre and Emporium Shopping Centre on Sukhumvit Road.

5) Mabunkrong Centre (MBK). You can get there by Skytrain which has certainly revolutionised travel along Sukhumvit Road in this city. Change at Siam station and take the short line to National Stadium. The elevated walkway will take you into Tokyu store, which you can exit into MBK. On the 3rd floor of MBK, towards the south side, is a small booth called Aim & Ohm where a friendly husband and wife team are authorised dealers for Oris, Seiko, Zenith, Eterna, Maurice Lacroix, Charriol, Tissot and Mido. I have bought Seiko automatics, Zenith and Oris watches here. Good discounts are offered readily. Swatch are also sold nearby. MBK has many cheap copy watches which are obviously copies after a moments inspection (Hey, this is Bangkok!). Some of them have automatic and mechanical movements. There are also several other booths on the 3rd floor close to the Tokyu department store, that have many used watches for sale.

6) Emporium Shopping Centre. Very upmarket in Bangkok and where the rich shop. Some very fine watches are available here. There is very often a watch display on the ground floor lobby or first floor. You will find most luxury brands here.

7) The Landmark (Hotel) Down the escalator from Sukhumvit Road near the Huntsman Pub. There is a shop that has many used watches. I saw some SS Seiko divers and vintage Rolex there recently.

8) Siam Centre (enter from Siam skytrain station). Near the Piano store on the third floor there is a small used watch shop called ?Because I like it?. They have some nice wooden watch boxes. I hope that my wife will buy me one for Christmas. They have many 1970s Omega, Heuer, Breitling etc watches. They also have Zeno watches. It is at the back of the building on the 3rd or 4th floor I think.

Be sure to take the time to notice the natural beauty and elegance of Thailand while you are walking around! Always try to negotiate a better price. Usually you won?t get more than a 5% discount in a department store though, unless they happen to have a sale on. A friendly manner gets better results here. Never get angry even though this city can have its frustrations.

Also, try Chatuchak weekend market which is an interesting experience whether you are looking for watches or not. It is open Sat & Sun and is located opposite Mo Chit Skytrain station. After entering from the Paholyothin road side, stay on the left side of the market and look for the Buddhist amulet section which has four or five booths selling used watches.

It has been a wet year, but the rainy season seems to have ended and the weather in Bkk is now relatively cool. It is great for sitting out in the evenings for those of us who work inside during the day. Happy hunting

Have fun! Col.

johnny woozer

Hi Trailboss99,

Thanks for your reply. If I should visit all places mentioned, I would need a lot of time to explore all these stores.

I only will be in BKK for 2 full days, including the jetlag arrival day. After a trip through southern Thailand we will stay in Phuket for 5 days.

And yes, I realy feel like a 'lucky bugger'.

Johnny

Luthier
Hi Trailboss99,

Thanks for your reply. If I should visit all places mentioned, I would need a lot of time to explore all these stores.

I only will be in BKK for 2 full days, including the jetlag arrival day. After a trip through southern Thailand we will stay in Phuket for 5 days.

And yes, I realy feel like a 'lucky bugger'.

Johnny

After a trip thru Southern Thailand we could never see you again, but if you'll be lucky to keep your head on your shoulders ( I doubt it) - visit Phatpong in Bkk, there's many interesting things, including watches.

JohnG

Enjoy your trip and post pics when you get back!!!!

KBH

Make sure you ask for old guy at Nah Piek for the standard 25% RWG discount!

:Whistle:

johnny woozer

How does he recognize me as a RWG member?

KBH

Give him the secret handshake!!

Actually, from what I hear, he doesn't even entertain giving discounts unless you're buying quite a few. He'll just turn away and ignore you. Tread lightly.

prestigewatchco

Yes KBH is right he is a prick to deal with if you ask him more than a few questions they tell me he just walks away from you. Can't honestly see the magic of buying there apart from a couple of items that are not as good as they used to be most of the stuff is just over priced and nothing special. Better to go to China town and buy

trailboss99

It's like buying from TTK: You're not just buying a watch, you're buying an experiance. :lol: And a little bit of rep ledgend.

TTK_shirt.jpg

Col.

prestigewatchco

Bit different than TTK Trail at least TTK gave you a mouth full

This guy is just an arsehole rude and difficult to deal with I know people who have had hold of him and he has screamed like a stuffed pig he is a real shit house of the 1st order

trailboss99

I could name a few people who would like to get hold of Neil :lol:

Col.

prestigewatchco

Well don't think he would be hard to find if you really wanted to get hold of him. Pattaya is a small place and I doubt TTK is a shrinking violet there so some one would know him for sure

trailboss99

Maybe we could crate up Fakey and mail him over. They deserve each other :lol:

Or, we could get a biger crate and send Dave as well. They could have a three way fight :rofl:

Of cause the chances of Dave and Fakey surviving in the same crate for a cpl of days is slim at best.

Col.

prestigewatchco

Ordered and paid Col I don't take a lot of looking for when they want to spend!!

RolexAddict

Free Masons Lodges in Thailand ? :rofl: witch obediance ? Scottish Practice ? French Practice ?

I know the unique Thai Practice in Bangkok : Patpong bars & Entertairment

:lol:

Edited by RolexAddict

prestigewatchco

Scottish

RolexAddict

Ah !

I have learn something today,

Luthier

Free Masons Lodges in Thailand ? :ninja: witch obediance ? Scottish Practice ? French Practice ?

I know the unique Thai Practice in Bangkok : Patpong bars & Entertairment

:lol:

Nothing is free there.

Patpong... Tell me about it! I spent a lot of time there... Fantastic place!

Patpong-2.jpg

Patpong-3.jpg

Patpong.jpg

Patpong-4.jpg

trailboss99

Poor TTK, it's a tough life :lol:

Col.

johnny woozer

I'm confused about all the irrelevant info posted in this topic. And that's the nice thing about RWG.

One thing I learned is that the old guy in the Nah Piek store is an arsehole and difficult to deal with. And I doubt if my secret handshake will make him happy.

On the other hand Prestigewatchco mentioned to go to Chinatown instead. Is there someone who knows where to go to in Chinatown for buying good watches and not the crap that is sold on the streets?

Could Phuket also be a place where to buy 'trusted dealer' quality watches?

Johnny

trailboss99

Try giving T4D (Prestigewatchco) a PM and ask nicely. If anyone knows where the bargins hide in BKK he will. He may have a fellow dealer he knows there if you're lucky.

Col.

prestigewatchco

Yes PM me and I will give you my number I will tell you exactly where to buy I have one girl I send all the members to you have never seen anyone with so many items.

PS I am in Bangkok till the 8th june then away till 20th

prestigewatchco

Col Pat Pong is like a vicars tea party compared to Pattaya

Pattaya is just wall to wall filthy little Princesses