fatarms

Which version of the Submariner is your favorite?

fatarms

@RussP posted a great thread with the history of Rolex, and it got me thinking about possibly the most iconic watch of all time - the Rolex Submariner. 

I spent over an hour reading the article about the history of Rolex, from their beginning to modern times in that article.

From the 6200 all the way to the modern 116610...  The dial, dimensions, movement changes, crown guards (shape?) or not, date or no date?  The 6200 was first sold in 1953, so we are 66 years into arguably the most popular watch, not only replica, but gen as well.  What is the model that speaks to you?

I'm currently saving and preparing to make a 5513 I want to keep.  It was available during my birth year, and to me, has the truest to form version of what the Submariner was meant to be.  Age of the poster will play into this post, vintage vs. new styles as well.  I'd love to hear your opinions as well as the justifications for your choice.

BadApple

1962 being my birth year I would love a gen / franken of the 5512 which I think was the best model available way way way back then !! 

V23U1L.md.jpg

fatarms
12 minutes ago, Badapple said:

1962 being my birth year I would love a gen / franken of the 5512 which I think was the best model available way way way back then !! 

V23U1L.md.jpg

I dig it.  That gilt dial is just unreal, nothing like that exists in the modern versions.  Relumed versions are a point of contention as to whether they devalue the original Sub worth or if they make them more appealing and desirable.  I was born in 1973 and my second choice would be a proper 1680, haven't decided on red or white yet.  It changed the year of my birth from what I'm reading.  The red is very cool looking, but the white is so clean when it comes to dial appearance.

In my research tonight through Russ's link, I've been enlightened to Subs I didn't know existed before.  Take for example a Rolex 16808, with an all gold Tiffany nipple dial.  Who knew these existed?  Cool to see the various subs that were available over the years.  Click on Russ's link and the scroll down the the "Reference xxxxx" links on the right side of the page.  So cool to see models I've never been aware of being just aware of those repped.

Automotiveromance

To me, the Rolex Submariner is like the Chevrolet Corvette. The best Corvette is always the newest Corvette. Is the newest necessarily the prettiest? No, but it’s more refined, more livable and incrementally better at everything than the previous generation. I like the way a C2 (63 split window anyone?) looks over a modern era Corvette, but I wouldn’t want to live with one for the money they bring these days.

That ties in perfectly with the Subs. I really love the looks of  a meters first 1680. But at the prices they command, I can’t live with the overall feel of them. The lack of quickset date, the tinny bracelet etc would mean it’d sit in it’s box (or the safe) all the time. And they simply won’t appreciate quick enough to justify having around €30k sitting there doing nothing. And this is why I say the newest subs are always the best subs. To me, they wear much better, are way more robust and just more livable. 

Talking about gens of course.

fatarms
8 minutes ago, Automotiveromance said:

To me, the Rolex Submariner is like the Chevrolet Corvette. The best Corvette is always the newest Corvette. Is the newest necessarily the prettiest? No, but it’s more refined, more livable and incrementally better at everything than the previous generation. I like the way a C2 (63 split window anyone?) looks over a modern era Corvette, but I wouldn’t want to live with one for the money they bring these days.

That ties in perfectly with the Subs. I really love the looks of  a meters first 1680. But at the prices they command, I can’t live with the overall feel of them. The lack of quickset date, the tinny bracelet etc would mean it’d sit in it’s box (or the safe) all the time. And they simply won’t appreciate quick enough to justify having around €30k sitting there doing nothing. And this is why I say the newest subs are always the best subs. To me, they wear much better, are way more robust and just more livable. 

Talking about gens of course.

It's funny that you bring Corvettes  into the discussion.  My ex-wife's cousin was  a GM engineer in Detroit and he designed the interior dash area of the Corvette for years.  He had a fatal heart attack at the age of 44.  GM/Chevy produced 50 Corvettes with his initials above the glove box in his honor.  It's these special cases that make for editions of watches, cars, or anything that make them collectible.

My 16 1/2 year old son (with the ex-wife) is also pursuing a degree in Engineering, his current interests are in designing cars as well.

Jibuti

No Rolex existed the year I was born... 

Automotiveromance
5 minutes ago, fatarms said:

It's funny that you bring Corvettes  into the discussion.  My ex-wife's cousin was  a GM engineer in Detroit and he designed the interior dash area of the Corvette for years.  He had a fatal heart attack at the age of 44.  GM/Chevy produced 50 Corvettes with his initials above the glove box in his honor.  It's these special cases that make for editions of watches, cars, or anything that make them collectible.

My 16 1/2 year old son (with the ex-wife) is also pursuing a degree in Engineering, his current interests are in designing cars as well.

Ha! How coincidental. If your son wants to design cars then Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA is where it’s at. Combine that with an automotive engineering degree and the world is his oyster (see what I did there, tying in Rolex with cars).

Anyway, this is quite off topic

fatarms
14 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

The Rolex name was trademarked in 1908 and started to appear on dials in about 1926.  You must be old as fuck :lol:

2 minutes ago, Automotiveromance said:

Ha! How coincidental. If your son wants to design cars then Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA is where it’s at. Combine that with an automotive engineering degree and the world is his oyster (see what I did there, tying in Rolex with cars).

Anyway, this is quite off topic

We're in Cleveland, so it's a bit of a drive to Pasadena :lol:

RussP
2 hours ago, Jibuti said:

I'm guessing that electricity didn't exist either ?

Waspy

OK I'll play.

(not my picture)

V2mlp2.jpg

16610LV Kermit gets my vote.

Smaller, lighter on the wrist.

Slimmer lugs.

Maxi dial and hands.

Green insert for a bit of colour.

Jibuti
2 hours ago, RussP said:

I'm guessing that electricity didn't exist either ?

what is "electricity"?

splke
2 hours ago, Waspy said:

OK I'll play.

(not my picture)

V2mlp2.jpg

16610LV Kermit gets my vote.

Smaller, lighter on the wrist.

Slimmer lugs.

Maxi dial and hands.

Green insert for a bit of colour.

deffo my favourite now :drool:

I started this hobby though as I always wanted a bond sub from the early films I ended up getting a single red 1680 of Reg

a1ad9196e9e9a45ddc4fb8c834ca7db9.jpg

I love it still even tho its in bits waiting for @ROLIE to have time to make it all better for me

rilex_OW

5 hours ago, fatarms said:

The Rolex name was trademarked in 1908 and started to appear on dials in about 1926.  You must be old as fuck :lol:

We're in Cleveland, so it's a bit of a drive to Pasadena :lol:

wellhis picture is in black/white as a hint

Mine is the hulk ;D

Automotiveromance
1 hour ago, Jibuti said:

what is "electricity"?

Don’t let them confuse you. He means magic. The kind that makes things move and lights up the ‘television’ picture box with the tiny people in it.

• Like 1

GenTLe

My preferred one doesn't exist (yet): I'd like to have an official "shark" sub, possibily a 16610  with the Al insert which is more shiny than the ceramic one.

Just like this:

IMG_1842_zpsvl8xcajh.jpg

Actully I spent some time this morning searching for something like that, and it seems the only one is this Tag, but the Rep comes only with a strap, and I want a bracelet:

WAY211B-FC6363.png

Rokerite
2 hours ago, splke said:

deffo my favourite now :drool:

I started this hobby though as I always wanted a bond sub from the early films I ended up getting a single red 1680 of Reg

a1ad9196e9e9a45ddc4fb8c834ca7db9.jpg

I love it still even tho its in bits waiting for @ROLIE to have time to make it all better for me

That's the only "vintage" sub I like, at least you know when Rolie has worked his magic your watch will run better than ever, worth the wait  :thumbsup2:

NCRich

Hmm.......an interesting question.  I think the date window takes away a lot from a vintage sub.  Its just ugly.  I prefer two line vintage.

I prefer the 16610 style.  Don't mind the date window on those.

I don't like the new ceramic subs at all.

16613 is probably my favorite of all the subs.  To me its the most beautiful watch as I love two tone and I love blue watches.  My jeweler has one in excellent condition that he is offering me for $6k.  I will probably buy it.

Mr_B
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

My preferred one doesn't exist (yet): I'd like to have an official "shark" sub, possibily a 16610  with the Al insert which is more shiny than the ceramic one.

Just like this:

IMG_1842_zpsvl8xcajh.jpg

Actully I spent some time this morning searching for something like that, and it seems the only one is this Tag, but the Rep comes only with a strap, and I want a bracelet:

WAY211B-FC6363.png

You can get a Calibre 5 43mm with bracelet, seen one on kuvarsit site

Enthusiast88

I’m gonna have to say the new ceramic subs, they just ‘work’ for me. 

Kernow

16610LV. I should have bought one when they were affordable. 

GenTLe
Thanks, let me check :)

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Mr_B said:

Nope, there's only the full blue with bracelet. And since they're from different factories, I'll not risk to get head from one and like 80$ bracelet from the other.

hanski

I’d have to say I’m split - too many favorites. 

I love having the date functionality and tall plexi is where it’s at. So a 1680 is probably my daily wearer favorite. 

V9EH4U.jpg

But aesthetically the 5517 mil sub is fantastic!   

V9EiGp.jpg

(Both web images, not mine, a guy can only dream) 

PS. Is the history posted by @RussP VIP only? It’s showing up as content I cannot see. 

Waspy
1 hour ago, Kernow said:

16610LV. I should have bought one when they were affordable. 

Indeed, today's prices: (a small selection from Chrono24)

V9EjUD.jpg

Glaude
5 hours ago, mzinski said:

PS. Is the history posted by @RussP VIP only? It’s showing up as content I cannot see. 

Yup, send a PM to Trailboss to correct that ;)