Sign in to follow this  
opus9

Who uses the chrono function?

opus9

Hi guys,

As a mater of interest,how many chrono owners ever use the chrono function..unless your a formula1 driver etc, is there any use (boiling your eggs,I suppose) or is it all about 'the look'?

regards

opus9

Edited by opus 9

peleon

I've only got one chrono, a gen yema flygraf with valjoux 7750 and you're right, only for boiling eggs...

chum_2000_uk

Love chronos but yeah, I only really use them for trivial things, e.g. Used to snipe a lot of ebay auctions by synchronizing the chrono with the auction time. But now they've put timers on the auctions so I don't even have to use it for that anymore! Plus I don't buy half as much crap there as I used to.

KBH

My stove has a timer. That gets used all the time.

I've had two A7750 that have gone in for service after using the chrono. Every time I feel like a dumb ass since I usually preach about not using them.

powderfreak

It's about the look of it... but when I get to use it, I make sure that I only reset the chrono when it is placed directly above 12. That works fine and I feel safe :)

prestigewatchco

if you need to use the chrono buy a quartz version. The 7750 are too temperamental to use regularly as chrono's.

solkryssare
:)

Dendo

When I am in a meeting and bored I time people talking, but usually forget to look at the timing later on... ...I know I am asking for trouble but I like chronos and like to see them working.

powderfreak

Sorry, double post

KBH
It's about the look of it... but when I get to use it, I make sure that I only reset the chrono when it is placed directly above 12. That works fine and I feel safe :)

Me too. It's always been the small minute hand that won't reset properly for me. Not the second hand.

kolchak
When I am in a meeting and bored I time people talking, but usually forget to look at the timing later on... ...I know I am asking for trouble but I like chronos and like to see them working.

I used to time useless things trying to make chronos fun - dog walk, taking a dump, holding for customer service, how long it takes food to arrive at a restaurant, but ALWAYS forgot to check afterwards.

Only times I remembered were speed trials in a car or boat but these were just for shits & giggles.

I'd like to hear someone has an actual purpose....

mad dawg

Parking meter timing is my usual purpose, although a dive watch has enough resolution. I have yet to find some application where "every second counts".

pfcdre

I love chrono watches,i have 3 7750s, a pan 288, a marina militaire, a omega smp, and lemania speedmaster, all work great dont use them often to be honest just like the look but i do sometimes leave the chrono running for a couple days, then reset with sec hand between 5 to and 5 past as suggested, so far all good, i also have a gen tissot prc516 [quartz verion]but not worn it since getting my first panarai lol.

Rav747

Yes, I use my chronos. Back during flight training and sometimes now I would get stuck to fly a old ass plane where the timer wouldn't work to do instrument approaches, so that's when my chronos were used. Unfortunately, I don't use my rep watches for that purpose due to what everyone said. I use either gens or my Seiko qrtz chrono to time my turns.

Scavolas

A7750 (and as I hear even the original Valjoux 7750) chrono parts are too prone to break and that overshadows any urge to use them when needed -- every seldom occasion, actually. Worst thing in my experience though, that these infrequent needs do come when nothing else is at hand, not even a mobile phone that usually has got very decent stopwatch functionality.

Even after reading user manuals and to-dos and not-to-dos, I am still a little bit uncertain what exactly to observe when pushing the chrono reset pusher: the watch small seconds hand should be between 10 and 2 o'clock position or the chronograph seconds hand? A definitive answer from an authorative source would come handy, if does not sound like an insult asking from a noob, please.

It's about the look of it... but when I get to use it, I make sure that I only reset the chrono when it is placed directly above 12. That works fine and I feel safe :lol:
Edited by Scavolas

nighty

so "working chrono" means "it works but you might break it if you use it" ? what's the point in having "working" chrono function that you actually "pay" then ?

Personally I use chronos a little like pfcdre, sometimes, running a couple of days, then stopped. For now only on gens, but now ive read this, I might reconsidere the interest in having a "working chrono A7750" :lol:

KBH
so "working chrono" means "it works but you might break it if you use it" ? what's the point in having "working" chrono function that you actually "pay" then ?

Personally I use chronos a little like pfcdre, sometimes, running a couple of days, then stopped. For now only on gens, but now ive read this, I might reconsidere the interest in having a "working chrono A7750" :lol:

I just think they are great looking watches. And you either accept that the movement is fine when used as a non chrono or, if you like to play with them, you should plan on getting them serviced sooner or later.

Felipe

I use my chrono quite frequently on my tag carrera because of that 1/10th of a second measurement I like to show everyone lol. You guys are saying that I might mess up my watch from using it? It has a a7750 movement in it.

pfcdre
I use my chrono quite frequently on my tag carrera because of that 1/10th of a second measurement I like to show everyone lol. You guys are saying that I might mess up my watch from using it? It has a a7750 movement in it.

I think a chrono watch would require servicing more often, i think it stands to reason i just had a chrono landeron movement serviced cost 130 pounds,against 65 pounds for a non-chrono movement, obviously more parts to a chrono, i read a post on here by some one about a hammer that strikes the movement causing the reset of the chrono, so i have just followed the advice.Always stop before reseting and reset as near to twelve as possible[chrono seconds hand] i will do more research i think as its better to know.

JohnG

where's the fuckin poll, it says poll in the title, what a fucking let down, I was all ready to vote.

Love chronos but don't use the function much.

myaz

Hey Opus9, could you add a poll?

As JohnG says it would be interesting to see what % of people that do use the chrono function have problems.

TIA

chum_2000_uk
where's the fuckin poll, it says poll in the title, what a fucking let down, I was all ready to vote.

That's your job John, to add everyone's comments up and then totalise the results. Pressure is on you now, will you fold under it?

Huds

I`m just about to order a tag carrera A7750 like this pic, not because I will use the chrono just because I like it but if I do which hands should be where when I reset it ? The running seconds are at 9 so is it just a case of stopping the big seconds hand as close to 12 (before it) then resetting it and not worry about any other hand position ?

Tag%20Carrera%20AAAA%20sport_enl.jpg

pfcdre
I`m just about to order a tag carrera A7750 like this pic, not because I will use the chrono just because I like it but if I do which hands should be where when I reset it ? The running seconds are at 9 so is it just a case of stopping the big seconds hand as close to 12 (before it) then resetting it and not worry about any other hand position ?

Tag%20Carrera%20AAAA%20sport_enl.jpg

As far as i can find out, thats it mate yes, i have looked on net but as far as gen 7750 concerned they seem very reliable,just need servicing regular, but asian version probably dont use as good a quality material, so wear and mechanical failure would be more common, but i say the latter without research just logical deduction.

KBH

Actually, a couple of the more professional watch smiths have done some research on the A7750 and say that it's a fine movement overall. It just comes from the factory with too much dirt and lack of oil. There's a couple of write ups from Ziggy and Franscisco that can be found on other forums. The only real problem is the winding gears, and they are also a problem on the ETA movements, although not as bad.