The_beat

"Why would you even bother buying a gen?

The_beat

I just wanted to see how many members on here have  the above comment directed at them when they see your new rep.? 

Since starting to receive a few quality reps, my missus, friends etc can understand why you would spend gen money on something that looks identical.!!!

Interested in hearing fellow members experiences in similar situations?

FoxWilde

Got a lot of questions don’t you.. :)

a rep is a rep, a gen is a gen 

There are reasons to buy both types, in my book. 

Will I ever pass down a rep to another generation or have the same connection of sharing experiences with a gen as a rep? Absolutely not. 

Will I spend over $10K on a steel watch? Much less $20K? Absolutely not. 

One is a hobby to quench a bottomless fascination of timepieces. 

The other is a material reflection of your struggles, dreams and character. To become a relic of your life and heritage. 

StarsSuck

So my rule is to buy reps of watches that I would never save the money to buy as gen.  My reps get banged up and worn as if I was a gazillionaire and could replace them at will.  The gens have a special place and are better cared for generally...and maybe represent some milestone or whatever.  So that's my metric.  Not so much on appearance but on emotion.

blueoysterboy

I don’t have expensive gen watches, but for the money, I think they are a better value than most reps as the rep factories often are rather lax in their QC relative to genuine manufacturers who have a reputation to protect.

semperfi55
22 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

‘Nuff said

I buy many reps because I can collect these designs without selling the house.

But I would buy gen for stuff that is not repped. You can find amazing/interesting gens for cheaper than you think.

E.g.

Jean d’Eve Sectora with retrograde hands

VTZS2A.jpg

Dubey & Schaldenbrand Poor Man’s Rattrapante(Split Second Chronograph)

VgFLCs.jpg

Oris Jump Hour Regulator

7U2NL.jpg

Cuervo y Sobrinos Triple Date (prior to Cuban Revolution)

eYZf8.jpg

Seiko Age of Discovery (Quartz Perpetual Calendar)

VTz1UQ.jpg

No reps for these mechanisms. And these are all cheaper than a gen Datejust :) 

zulu44gmt
Got a lot of questions don’t you..
Will I ever pass down a rep to another generation or have the same connection of sharing experiences with a gen as a rep? Absolutely not. 
The other is a material reflection of your struggles, dreams and character. To become a relic of your life and heritage. 
This✓✓✓✓

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

zulu44gmt

@semperfi55 What size is the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Poor Man’s Rattrapante(Split Second Chronograph) ? Heck of a watch!!!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

semperfi55
57 minutes ago, zulu44gmt said:

@semperfi55 What size is the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Poor Man’s Rattrapante(Split Second Chronograph) ? Heck of a watch!!!

It is 37mm diameter :)

Case height 13.5mm

Works fine too!

Thommo82
8 hours ago, FoxWilde said:

Well said, bravo 

GenTLe

I treat most of my reps as if they were gens, and many of them have nothing to envy to gens in terms of construction quality or movement used (especially after a service).

All that "feeling of gen" to me is crap psychology. Plus, with my wage, I'd personally feel a complete idiot to go into one of those luxurious boutique and leave them 1y salary for a Patek... 

GingerApple
20 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

All that "feeling of gen" to me is crap psychology. Plus, with my wage, I'd personally feel a complete idiot to go into one of those luxurious boutique and leave them 1y salary for a Patek... 

Your assuming they'd sully themselves by taking your money - which they almost certainly wouldn't unless it was for an  undesirable watch that no one else wants.  So fuck Patek and fuck Rolex.

The only Gen I'll buy is one that isn't repped (or well repped).

BenjaminButton
Your assuming they'd sully themselves by taking your money - which they almost certainly wouldn't unless it was for an  undesirable watch that no one else wants.  So fuck Patek and fuck Rolex.

b5801ee78b1697f8b059579d985cc46d.jpg

GingerApple

Nah, Mary already got me a good rep of this one, the ZF V3.

Twat.

TDFBluWaffle
10 hours ago, FoxWilde said:

This! 

I am still amazed at our community. More often than not, I see more watch lovers here as on normal watch forums. 

Reps enable me to drool over watches I "look up to". Same as having pics of it on my phone. And if a rep is nice, I might even try it on to see if a gen would actually suit me. From time to time, I actually wear my reps to work, hidden under a cuff. 

But if I attend an event or a dinner, where a "watch glance" might happen, I rather put on my Polerouter than a rep OP39. Not because of fear of getting caught (let's be honest, you can pass off a Noob Sub), but because I am more proud of my gen watches - because there is a strong reason why I bought them in the first place. 

Chiquita Fanjita
11 minutes ago, TDFBluWaffle said:

I actually wear my reps to work, hidden under a collar. 

You wear your watch around your neck?  You must have a very small neck or a very large strap/bracelet :D 

BenjaminButton

Because my replica junk would be worth several 100k pounds were they the real deal. I cannot afford that - there is no why would I - It’s not rocket science why we are here enjoying replicas. Would I if I could in my parallel billionaire universe... absolutely. In fact I’m sure I did in that parallel universe but I also fell off my whore and coke filled yacht and drowned at 29 so yer win some and yer loose some.

TDFBluWaffle
24 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

You wear your watch around your neck?  You must have a very small neck or a very large strap/bracelet :D 

Busted! :D

:lolcina:

Thecalvin
5 hours ago, TwoTonesBubba said:

Totally with Bubba on this. Not gonna fork out a year's salary or more just for a watch. Couldn't be arsed if the darned thing could fly. 

If I'm honest, none of my co-workers or friends are bothered about what I'm wearing. The people I know who are into watches can't tell anyway, not without opening the caseback and bringing a loupe (which is frankly ridiculous over dinner). 

And if you carry yourself well, no one will ever know that you're wearing a rep.

hanski

It comes down to two decisions: money and copyright. 

Do you have enough money to buy a gen? Then move on to your value judgement of where you put your money (food, house, kids, watches, cars, clothes, etc). 

The other question gets presented with a lot of fuzziness but I think it's pretty simple, do you feel copyrights should be honored? From the perspective of a consumer wanting good design at an affordable price point, one might say no. From the perspective of a designer who creates original designs, who wants to be paid for their work, one might say yes (or if you're straight-laced, law abiding...). 

Tangential anecdote, the Grand Shrine of Ise in Japan. The site is over 2000 years old but the shrine itself is rebuilt, identically, every 20 years adjacent to the one before it. Because of this the shrine is perpetually new/ancient and original/replicated. This 2000 year effort poses the question, what does it mean to be original or authentic? If the spirit of the original exists in the replica, is it not itself genuine as well? 

BadPickle
36 minutes ago, hanski said:

Do you have enough money to buy a gen? Then move on to your value judgement of where you put your money (food, house, kids, watches, cars, clothes, etc). 

The other question gets presented with a lot of fuzziness but I think it's pretty simple, do you feel copyrights should be honored? From the perspective of a consumer wanting good design at an affordable price point, one might say no. From the perspective of a designer who creates original designs, who wants to be paid for their work, one might say yes (or if you're straight-laced, law abiding...). 

Tangential anecdote, the Grand Shrine of Ise in Japan. The site is over 2000 years old but the shrine itself is rebuilt, identically, every 20 years adjacent to the one before it. Because of this the shrine is perpetually new/ancient and original/replicated. This 2000 year effort poses the question, what does it mean to be original or authentic? If the spirit of the original exists in the replica, is it not itself genuine as well? 

You’re over thinking it pal :rofl: 

MetalMickey
49 minutes ago, hanski said:

89bgm3whyvfz.jpg

myaz

Great answers starting with FoxeWilde. We all have our reasons.

As for me, upon getting my 1st rep after joining, I was amazed, got pretty vocal about swearing off higher priced gens, couldn't help myself filling a couple watch boxes with reps.

Then I saw respected adm such as Del and RichardMiami go gen and my opinion has morphed over the years. Likely, so will yours.

However, I have had a grail gen on my desktop for about 5 years, the bitch is beckoning wildly but I  still can't pull the trigger, got reps to thank me for that.  

hanski
46 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

You’re over thinking it pal :rofl: 

Just getting started 

37 minutes ago, MetalMickey said:

89bgm3whyvfz.jpg

Love it! 

RepGuy

There are affordable gens, and then there are the (currently) unobtainable. I went all in years ago, and amassed a healthy collection of reps, mostly AP's. Since then, I've sold off all my reps, and wear strictly gen now. 

These gens are what I would consider affordable in the grand scheme of watches. Oris, Clerc, Hamilton, and many micro brands make up my collection, none of which even come close to the $50k steel watches you see online. There are two sides to the rep/gen game.

On one hand, I loved the idea of getting the style and look of high horology pieces, usually for around $200-$400.

On the other hand, I disliked having to avoid water with these reps, and the ever present risk of a movement issue. These were small prices to pay for the lower price, and many high end reps are very well made.

I'm at the point where I want to test out a few Omega reps of specific models before taking the plunge on a genuine version. For me, this makes reps excellent tools. Other people (myself included in the past) wear them for what they are, with no intention of ever purchasing the gen. That's entirely fine, and a good way to like what's on your wrist, without selling your house to do so.

I guess what I'm getting at is this... Reps are great for what they are, but don't expect gen quality or reliability. With that said, the high end reps outclass lower end watches in many ways, and are a horological marvel all their own.

ag69

I have a bunch of both reps and gens.  There is no comparison of the gen to a rep.  Just picked up a gen Montblanc Timewalker yesterday.