Sign in to follow this  
Caliper

Question about Gen repair

Caliper

Hey there, I own a gen Tag-Heuer Carrera Automatic Choronograph Calibre 16 (what a mouthful), been gracefully on my wrist for about 5+ years. Problem is that about 2 years ago the chronograph hour subdial at 6 o'clock started to move on it's own while the chronograph is unused and I have to constantly reset it whenever I want to use it, while in use, it works properly.

On my recent knowledge quest about how watches work and their movements, I believe this watch has an ETA 7750 mechanism and this happens sometimes because the subdial lock gets out of place and won't stop it from continuing.

Is this a normal occurrence for gen chronograph, I have to admit, I like to use the chronograph a lot for trivial things, but the watch has had a few rather strong bumps that scared the shit out of me, and at once, one of the chronograph start/stop button came off and got it fix at my AD. Am I on the right track for the culprit of this small nuisance?, can this be a simple fix for the AD horologist or does it require a complete mechanism fix since it's part of the chronograph?

Here's a pic for you guys, as you can see, the hour subdial is not on its reset position

calibre16.jpg

excuse the crappy picture

greg_r

Even the gen Valjoux 7750 is a rather fragile beast (better than the Asian copy, but even so..).

Sounds like its in need of a full service...

offshore
Even the gen Valjoux 7750 is a rather fragile beast (better than the Asian copy, but even so..).

Sounds like its in need of a full service...

Been on the wrist for 5+ years!

Certainly time for a birthday!

O/S

kan3

Time to sell it to me. :)

David543

All watches, but especially gens given their value, should be serviced every 3-5yrs. Yours sounds like it needs some TLC! I would get it properly serviced and checked over. Movements can be like cars, that trivial to fix oil and lube job can become a major repair if left. TBH your watch doesn't sound very 'well'.

Caliper

Ok then, I've been wanting to service it but always put it away cause the AD will probably send it to Switzerland for the full service. It takes about 2 months and I just can't be away from my watch that long.

*sigh* I just got my formula 1 back from them and now to give them another watch to send...

edit: grammar

Edited by Caliper

houndoggie
Ok then, I've been wanting to service it but always put it away cause the AD would probably send it to Switzerland for the full service and it takes about 2 months and I just can't be away from my watch that long.

*sigh* I just got my formula 1 back from them and now to give them another watch to send...

you don't need to send it to an AD. It's a standard 7750, any qualified watch maker will be able to service/fix it.

Caliper

I got lifetime warranty and they know pretty well at the AD. :)

Thanks guys!

Edited by Caliper

offshore

You may have a lifetime warranty, but it would be smart to get a quote from the agents, and another one from an indepedent watchmaker.

You will find that Tag agents won't look at a service under $700 -$1000, and once they have the watch will find another $500 in parts required.

A 1/2 decent watchmaker will be no more that $2-300 for the same service. And will have your watch back in a week.

O/S

Caliper

Woa!! I'll certainly do that then

:)

pollux1

OS is right, any competent watchmaker can service that for a hell of a lot less, where in the world are you from and perhaps we can suggest someone for you?

houndoggie

It cost me $1200 to have my gen Omega Speedmaster with 7750 service and restored by an Omega Authorized Thief. $600 for the movement service and $600 for parts (new dial, hands, crystal, bezel, crown, and pushers). The watch looked brand new when I got it back, but the chrono wouldn't work. It took 2 trips back to get it fixed right.

I also spent $175 with the local watch maker and completely serviced and refinished my 1970's Seamaster. It looks brand new. And it keeps COSC time.

Bottom line, you will get raped at the AD.