bagandtag

Is my breitling rep damaged? :(

bagandtag

Hi guys,

I just got a beautiful breitling navitimer classic from a TD here and love the watch. Its a 7750 movement and from BP I believe. 

I was able to wind the watch a bunch of times maybe total 30x. Now I notice If I try to wind again there's a ton of resistence.

Also no matter how hard I push the crown back in and then screw, it doesn't screw into place (ie. Crown in so that it's water resistant). I can still screw the crown counterclockwise easily. Is the watch damaged?

Otherwise the other functions all work.

Flinnt

I don’t have experience with 7750 so take a bag of salt with this one. 

Sounds like you’ve fully wound the mainspring as tight as possible. Some watches keep on winding the mainspring as you’re screwing in the crown. So if there’s no winding left to be done and the spring is as tight as possible then you won’t be able to screw it down. 

You shouldn’t take it to the point that there’s a ton of resistance. If you feel a little increasing resistance stop straight away. 

Wait for it to run a while, several hours at least, then try screwing down the crown. If that works then yes your mainspring was at its limit. Don’t go fighting against a ton of force, you will snap the spring. 

But...no experience with 7750...I may well be wrong too. 

COMPLICATIONS

it's scrap, i'll give you a fiver for it including postage

bagandtag

Thank you for the reply flinnt. That may be the case. I waited overnight and I still can't wind the crown because there's a lot of resistance. Guess I wound it too much but everything else seems to work. 

Doing some research it seems like this watch's crown isnt a screw down so that may be it... but not sure. Would be great if someone can confirm. A member on rwi also thinks so.

BadApple

Leave it for a day or so and then see.

A7750 is perfectly OK at 20 or so winds and then let the rotor do the rest. 

GenTLe
23 minutes ago, bagandtag said:

Thank you for the reply flinnt. That may be the case. I waited overnight and I still can't wind the crown because there's a lot of resistance. Guess I wound it too much but everything else seems to work. 

Doing some research it seems like this watch's crown isnt a screw down so that may be it... but not sure. Would be great if someone can confirm. A member on rwi also thinks so.

No that's not. Automatic watches don't have a "stop point" on the mainspring like manual ones.

Never wind the 7750 more than 10 turns, let the automatic do its job.

The fact you can't screw the crown: well the navitimer should not have a screw-down crown at all, if for some funny reason it has, either the stem is too long or you make the crown to overlap the thread...

Redemskis

^^ this

Mainly divers watches have screw down crowns to help aid water resistance

I wouldn't even recommend you take a real navitimer out in the rain

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

bagandtag

Thanks for confirming the non screw down crown guys.

Considering the watch is running still... I left it sitting for 17 hours and it has kept time.. I guess I didn't damage the movement or anything by my previous attempts to screw the crown in although the resistance was quite high?

I'm embarrased that I even tried.

Jibuti
On 10/08/2019 at 00:59, COMPLICATIONS said:

it's scrap, i'll give you a fiver for it including postage

GLWS. dibs! :)

modriouch

Just leave it and it will sort itself out. I know from experience that playing with 7750 movements is a b***h. 

black263
39 minutes ago, modriouch said:

Just leave it and it will sort itself out. I know from experience that playing with 7750 movements is a b***h. 

You can say bitch here.  Asterisks and other symbols just confuse our simple minds.