FudgyDocker

New pickup of old/obscure rep?

FudgyDocker

HYSEK ABYSS EXPLORER

I was visiting the rep shops here in Turkey, actually looking to try and find a Speedmaster Pro for @Junior88. After a good old one hour chat with the guy that I bought my 2006 Omega 2210.50.00  from (back in 2009), I decided to have a look in the 'special briefcases' that are kept locked under the counters with the good stuff in. In the second one was this beauty that caught my eye. Had never heard of it before, so made my excuses and came back and did a chunk of research as to how this would end up with all the good stuff. 

There isn't anything on this forum after 2012/2013, I have absolutely no idea which factory it is from, when it was made, or what material it is actually made from, I went through all the TD websites, but could only find it on Perfect Clones. Even then, their version listed it with an A7750 with date set on the crown. I looked at what prices were paid in the past, from here & RWI, and also what Perfect Clones have as their current price. I decided to go back and try to strike a deal. After a bit of haggling, I got to a price that was a fair bit lower than the TD quoted price, so I bought it. I must admit that it is a bit of a monster, but I tried it on and could only just pull it off, so got the rubber cut to size and left with it in my sweaty palm :) 

Bit of History on the Brand

HYSEK is a comparatively new, independent brand, established in 1997. 
The elements in the Hysek concept are refined and elaborate watch profiles, multi-layered dials displaying the numbers 1-5-7-11, personalised hand-engraved movement decorations, and perfect integration of the bracelet into the watch case for incomparable wearing comfort, as well as the fold-over buckles, a design exclusive to Hysek to show the perception of perfect continuity to the case.

The brand has expanded very quickly since 1997, and in the purpose of establishing its watch-making legitimacy, HYSEK created its own manufacture in Switzerland in 2007, which placed the company as a major player in the Swiss watch industry. Today, the brand creates and manufactures watches (boasting 11 exclusive calibres), jewellery, writing instruments and accessories.

The ABYSS EXPLORER was launched in 2005, with a patented bezel locking system.

You can look at more information, by going to http://hysek.store/en/our-house

SPECS

Case size: 47mm
Case size, crown to bezel lock: 58mm
Lug to Lug: 70mm
Case material: It says titanium on it, but there's no guarantee on that, so I am going to err on the side of 316L SS
Movement: A7750? (more on this in a bit) Central hour & minutes, small seconds at 9. Fully working chronograph, with minutes @ 3 and hours @6.  Date @ 12 set by pusher @ 10
Crystal: Double AR Sapphire
Case Back: Sapphire display case back
Strap: Rubber with double butterly clasp
Bezel lock at 9

I am doubting the movement specified as A7750 here. Now I am not the best judge in the world on movements, but given that the sub-dials are at 3,6 & 9. Small seconds at 9, working chronograph dials at 3 & 6 and quick set date pusher at 10, I would guess that this is an A7753, no? Why anyone would go to all the effort of altering an A7750 to make it exactly the same as an A7753 is beyond me. But any other experts out there will no doubt tell me if I'm right or wrong, and why! The date window at 12 must have taken some funky gearing to make work, as well!

Well here's the pics. Let me know what you think, please?

20190817-230110.jpg

Looking at the indices on the dial, in close up, you can see that they are filthy. While I'm here, I'll see if his watch smith can do anything about that. You really can't see it unless you blow up the pics!

20190817-230129.jpg

20190817-230140.jpg

20190817-230220.jpg

I've just noticed that one (or 3) or the screws in the H part of the strap/lugs has been replaced. Will have to see what I can do to rectify that!

20190817-230249.jpg

20190817-233050.jpg

Junior88

Never seen one of those before and yes, it is a monster. Nice grab, if for no other reason than you don't see em!

Mrluwin

Very unique watch mate nice find!

FudgyDocker

Not entirely happy with the problems I've spotted, but unless it's been worn by a giant (it would've fit a 10" wrist when I tried it on initially), it must've had the strap replaced if it isn't new. Surely, they wouldn't come out of a factory with the dial/lug screws looking like that? 

FudgyDocker

Took it back to the shop, expressed concerns on the dial, strap screws etc. The watch smith will clean the dial numerals and 'H' logo (that looks black on closeup), replace all 4 screws in the strap that are mismatched, and give the case a polish.

Keeps good time though, although I haven't got it down to the second. Will get him to lob it on the Weishi, and let me know.

Hopefully, pick it up Tuesday :)

NCRich

Very strange watch.  I still don't know what it is after reading all this.  If it stops running you can use it for a boat anchor.

Enjoy it.  And to think people worry about PAMs being too large.

FudgyDocker
4 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Very strange watch.  I still don't know what it is after reading all this.  If it stops running you can use it for a boat anchor.

Enjoy it.  And to think people worry about PAMs being too large.

It says right at the top - Hysek Abyss Explorer

NCRich
10 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

It says right at the top - Hysek Abyss Explorer

And that helps?  :lol:

Enjoy the watch.

FudgyDocker

27 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Utter monstrosity. As is the Gen to be fair. At least you saved yourself a few quid.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/jorghysek/abyss-explorer-chronograph-ab07-steel--id11286781.htm

If it looked like the one in that link, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. The dial on mine is 100 times better looking

I do like a big watch, though. ;) 
Itch scratched on that front!

FudgyDocker
10 hours ago, NCRich said:

And that helps?  :lol:

I added a bit in the review (if you can call it that) about the brand, if you don't know them. Apart from that there's not a lot else to say apart from that it's a fooking big watch, but I think you sussed that bit out already! :lol:

FudgyDocker

One cleaned (and massively improved) dial/hands etc later....

They've also put a new clasp on the strap, as the one that was on it was a bit of a bitch to open, and the case has had a polish, front and back.

20190820-232809.jpg

GingerApple

Still ugly, but a nice clean up job, congrats.

FudgyDocker
21 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Still ugly, but a nice clean up job, congrats.

Appreciate that it's an acquired taste. If we all liked the same shit, life would be boring. It's pretty unique, with the movement etc, and not many of them out there at all, so it adds to its appeal for me.

A bit like you, GB. Unique, off the wall, and unappreciated by most ;)

SCShrek

That thing must weigh a ton...but I'm good with monstrosities...I like it!