Dr Fun Socks

A. Lange & sohne dual time split retrograde seconds repair

Dr Fun Socks

The dual time split retrograde seconds thread! So i have the only rep with all of the above functions working that ive ever seen. Im not saying there arent more out there but i havent seen them! About a year ago however, boom the stem came out. I wasnt really confident i wouldnt just completely ruin the watch by opening it so it sat untouched (well i shook the rotor every now any then just because it very satisfying watching retrograde seconds...) until today! A watch unused is a watch wasted and im a bit more confident now, probably more than i should be but you’ve got to be in it to win it! 

Its pretty hard to explain with pictures so heres a gif! 

RVrK.gif

As you can imagine the same happens at the other end when the smaller retrograde second hand hits 60. As i said, VERY satisfying!

So it turns out you literally pop the back off, fake screws! 

Rc7v.jpg

Inside is a small movement and a whole lot of space...

fD31.jpg

I knew it was a keyless issue yet still i whipped off the rotor and the autowind to find... its not a lovely eta with all the wheels attached to the auto wind bridge.

fZyj.jpg

Completely unnecessary but hey ho! Now onto the interesting bit, under the dial. I had always wondered how the split second worked, its actually pretty simple. The clever chinese people who designed it used whatever base movement this is (no idea, id love to know if anyone has an idea) and bolted an extra plate on the front. I guess you could call it a module or complication. Its fed from the seconds wheel and feeds a center wheel with about 1/3 - 1/2 the normal amount of teeth. Its the gold one in the middle. 

fjw4.jpg

fKCX.jpg

That then turns the spring loaded wheels either side of it, which have the retrograde seconds hands attached. Told you it was simple! The module is quite a bit larger than the movement but obviously in a watch this size that doesnt really matter. 

fHic.jpg

Any how i whipped that plate off and theres a whole mess of extra gears for the second time zone located at 12 on the dial. They are independently adjustable, turn the crown anti clock wise and both advance, backward and only the top hands move. 

fALb.jpg

fhSi.jpg

So I rebuilt the keyless and put it back together again. As is normally the case with new things i messed up and put one tint gear in upside down and i couldn’t adjust the time, of course i only found this out after i put most of it back together. So i rebuilt it again and now it works again! 

A few glamour shots once it was all sorted. 

feE5.jpg

fU3F.jpg

fLrp.jpg

Definitely one for the movement nerds but i hope you enjoyed it!

@semperfi55 i know you like the lange, thought you might be interested to see inside it!

Glaude

Loved the post, rare watch and even rarer to see the inside working of it ! 

Thanks for taking the time to show it ! 

Dr Fun Socks
8 hours ago, Glaude said:

Loved the post, rare watch and even rarer to see the inside working of it ! 

Thanks for taking the time to show it ! 

Thanks man, the engineer in me loves to just open stuff up and see whats going on inside! I knew there would be some other people who would like to see so had to make a little post :) just glad i got it running again!

GenTLe

Brave person!!

semperfi55
13 hours ago, Drfunsocks said:

So I rebuilt the keyless

Understatement of the year right there.

Damn. And here I was thinking I’m George Daniels for rebuilding my A2836 keyless....

Glad to see you got it sorted out! Thanks for the tag, otherwise I would’ve missed this thread! Always nice to see how these work under the dial :) 

Dr Fun Socks
2 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Understatement of the year right there.

Damn. And here I was thinking I’m George Daniels for rebuilding my A2836 keyless....

Glad to see you got it sorted out! Thanks for the tag, otherwise I would’ve missed this thread! Always nice to see how these work under the dial :) 

Its actually surprisingly simple the keyless on this. Just 3 parts, the two geared bits and a spring. Ive done the keyless on a chs movement and 2824 quite a lot recently so it was a nice change haha. Got to love the Chinese ingenuity though!  

GingerApple

Cool! Well done for getting stuck in (even though you were a bit of a pussy for a year before you did lol)!

Dr Fun Socks
6 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Cool! Well done for getting stuck in (even though you were a bit of a pussy for a year before you did lol)!

Hahaha your not wrong! I felt like columbo for figuring out the screws were fake on the back a year ago! Looked inside and thought nope! But ive been tearing more movements apart and doing keyless rebuilds recently and i saw this in the box and thought try it out man!

BC1221

That’s pretty crazy. That would be one hell of a puzzle to try to figure that out for me.
Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk