Sign in to follow this  
mmksquared

Movement Question

mmksquared

Just got my Rolex Sub (OK, nOObMariner) from the sale TS is having and very happy with it (will be posting shots later this week--kiddos baseball playoffs are all-consuming right now).

This rep has the asian 2836 movement so the sweep is exactly what I was expecting, even comparing to videos on the Rolex site. I know the 21j movement is cheaper and slower on bpms (from perusing this site!), but are there any videos that might show an approximation of the differences and how it affects the "sweep"? I am an engineer by trade so I completely understand that different implementations and quality can account for different sweeps even in the same movement.

I am just curious since I have just discovered this addiction, and there are several sweet watches with the 21j movement that are right up my alley. However, I also know that a jumpy or ticking sweep is one of the easiest ways to spot a rep--at least from what I have read and can tell from the knowledge graciously imparted from forum members. I have no problem paying a few extra bucks for a better movement, just want to be educated on being penny wise and pound foolish as they say.

Cheers

David543

Gen Rolex and most eta and copies beat 8 times a second, 28,800 per hour. So the rep is identical to the original. The 21j has 6 jumps per second 21,600 per hour!

Just check what the gen has and make sure the rep you buy is the same :lol:

amuthon

Some of the 21j movements have a jerky second hand,

especially with large/unbalanced hands.

The timekeeping is not affected.

Read about the indirect driven seconds in that kind of movement.

powderfreak

You should also consider that the 21j movements are really the cheapest movements, so don't expect miracles concerning the durability...

Luthier

The answer is - CLONES!!!

They're identical in BPHs, cost much cheaper, than Swiss ETAs, and very reliable.

mmksquared

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies! I figure I will lay off the 21j movements from what I have read and the feedback here.

KBH

8 BPS

DSCN2604.jpg

6 BPS

DSCN2600.jpg