Sign in to follow this  
SevenSevenFifty

Which Bergeon tools are worth it?

SevenSevenFifty

After some researching and reading off multiple forums, there is a lot of debate whether bergeon tools are good bang-for-the-buck. If I have to get a tool and not cheap out, which tool(s) should I get?

Edited by SevenSevenFifty

wat44

Offshore is your man here

offshore

Quite a few "Bergeon" tools, are now made in China!

So don't think that price (or brand) is necessarily a guide to quality.

There are some things that the Swiss do very well however, so its best to mix & match various items.

You will need to look at each item individually, to actually judge its quality.

Most of the tools stocked in the RWG shop here are of a quality that is more than acceptable by hobbyists, in fact they regularly are sold to, and used by, qualified watch makers.

O/S

Wiz

Bergeon have some great stuffs, but they also have some average stuffs that are fairly overpriced. Here are the very good Bergeon tools I own:

- Brass tweezers (1064-AA),

- Caseback tool (5700),

- Hands removing levers (30011),

- Casing cushion (5394),

- Spring bar tools (6767).

- Crystal press (5500) is also good but fairly overpriced.

But if you want the really good stuffs, go for Horotec, their stuffs can be expensive but they are excellent quality.

MikeMcNair

not gonna lie, i have had great luck with ebay tools. also, the store i work part time at is stocking watch making tools soon, so hopefully i will have some good hook ups on tools too :lol:

pollux1

Take OS's and Wiz's advice, you won't go wrong.

mspangl

I bought Bergeon Hands remover and Rodico..

For the case opener.. A cheap one isn't bad BUT especially for the Rolex sport models you'll need a Bergeon die.

offshore
I bought Bergeon Hands remover and Rodico..

For the case opener.. A cheap one isn't bad BUT especially for the Rolex sport models you'll need a Bergeon die.

In a lot of the non Bergeon Rolex sets, the 29.5 die is VERY poor. The flutes don't line up with the flutes on the Rolex case back. However thats not common to ALL of the sets out of China.

The one sold in the shop here is a very good match, in fact spare dies were sourced as replacements for the 29.5 in all those other sets which had ill fitting dies.

Again, it is very much a matter of knowing the good tools from the bad ones.

There are hundreds of tools purchased and used..."Bench Tested" before they are sold in the RWG shop!

The screwdriver set sold here , whilst it looks just like a lot of other sets, has different blades fitted...not the best blades available, but certainly much better than the bits of rubber normally supplied. And we hope to have some better news on driver tips in a month or two.

We have an advantage over a lot of other tool shops, in that we are watchmakers, and therefore bench test tools before we release them. So we have a much lower incidence of lack of quality...and when this does occur its normally because a product has been swapped by the supplier, and we don't notice until someone complains.

O/S

SevenSevenFifty

What are your opinons on teh squisheee ballz?

wat44

as long as not squeezed too hard, its pleasant

SevenSevenFifty

Rephrase:

Which is better: Squishy ball vs case back opener (price should be included in this argument too). Would it be beneficial to spend lots of $$ on multiple case back openerz, or stick with a squishy ball?

offshore
What are your opinons on teh squisheee ballz?

An absolute waste of time.

They work to open case backs which were never properly closed in the first place, and will never close a case back so that you were sure it was waterproof.

All the shops have 'em cos the punters want 'em.

Doesn't make 'em work!

Same as duct tape.

I will guarantee duct tape will not open a properly nipped up case back. Nor close one properly.

When you can buy a Jaxa (clone) for only a few $$, tape and sticky balls is a short cut that will cost you money!

Offshore

SevenSevenFifty

Thanks for the advice offshore! I never knew that

offshore

I hadn't seen your next question.

The RWG shop has a multi point opener, selling for under $20.00. It does need to be used in conjunction with a desk mounted case clamp as it is two handed operation.

That opener will open anything that is not damaged or has been sealed whilst under pressure.

Once a case back beats that opener, you need to turn to something like an LG Openall to get it open, and sometimes a watch comes along that even beats one of those, or the Bergeon equivalent.

If heat and an LG won't shift a case back, sometimes an oxy torch may be needed, to cut your way in! :)

I use a crab claw or case knife, which opens 80% of watches. Once I am beaten on a screw back, I go to the multi point, if that doesn't work, up to the LG, and finally.........Cut the bastard open!

Offshore.

wat44

OS - I chased a girl like that once.

Not worth the effort!