Sign in to follow this  
kolchak

Basic Rad repair?

kolchak

Hey Now,

I pick up this 292 from robert a few months ago but haven't been able to wear it because one lugs won't get tight.

Immediately after it arrived I noticed one lugs wiggled slightly. I tried to tighten it but being my first rad the tiny screw ended up vanishing in thin air, never to be seen again. I ordered new screws from panatime (non PVD) but still have the same problem.

For the love of all things holy, please tell me how to get this lug tight so I can wear this watch.

thanks

IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

wat44

loctite or glue it in place

Luthier

That's why I don't have any Radiomirs - too much troubles with lugs.

kolchak

thanks - If I use loctite or glue is it just a matter of breaking seal & re-gluing to change straps?

Even if rad lugs were perfect this is probably my last (maybe a 288) because they are thiner & more "formal" then I like.

Balad1

thanks - If I use loctite or glue is it just a matter of breaking seal & re-gluing to change straps?

Even if rad lugs were perfect this is probably my last (maybe a 288) because they are thiner & more "formal" then I like.

Loctite and other products only work after the screws are properly seated and tightened, they keep them from loosening.

If the screws are wiggling around or loose it means they are the wrong size or stripped.

Sorry for the bad news :lol:

edit: PS; you can loosen a screw that has loctite on it to change the strap.

Edited by Balad1

MikeMcNair

Or ya could retap the holes, get proper screws, and have the problem solved for good..... OR, you can solder them.

Either way it will take ya 2 hrs to get everything PERFECT, and you will be all set.

kolchak

Thanks guys - the new screw is the same size as the one that came in the watch. Since the lug wasn't tight when watch arrived do you think hole was drilled wrong at factory & needs a retap?

Balad1
Thanks guys - the new screw is the same size as the one that came in the watch. Since the lug wasn't tight when watch arrived do you think hole was drilled wrong at factory & needs a retap?

More likely it was overtightened and stripped, hence the problem.

prestigewatchco

In 99% of cases the problem is not the screw but the actual wire is not in right position .

They have to be in the perfect position to tighten up if they are loose you need to move the wire as you are gently tightening the screw .

Just trying to tighten the screw will not work and only end up stripping the threads.

There is a tapered cut out on the wire you can only tighten the wire when that cut out is correctly placed in relation to screw

There is no need to remove all the wires to fit bands one from either side will do the job

Now the threads are stripped the best way is to put wire in and get some epoxy resin use one of your new screws put a little oil on the screw thread and push it in when the resin is dry it will be possible to unscrew the screw and it will have cut new threads for you

If the screw is stainless steel steel prior to fixing just colour the head with a perma marker

kolchak
In 99% of cases the problem is not the screw but the actual wire is not in right position .

They have to be in the perfect position to tighten up if they are loose you need to move the wire as you are gently tightening the screw .

Just trying to tighten the screw will not work and only end up stripping the threads.

There is a tapered cut out on the wire you can only tighten the wire when that cut out is correctly placed in relation to screw

There is no need to remove all the wires to fit bands one from either side will do the job

Now the threads are stripped the best way is to put wire in and get some epoxy resin use one of your new screws put a little oil on the screw thread and push it in when the resin is dry it will be possible to unscrew the screw and it will have cut new threads for you

If the screw is stainless steel steel prior to fixing just colour the head with a perma marker

Great advice - didn't want to bother you with a minor issue but glad to know the best solution.

prestigewatchco

These are not an easy watch to change the band on to be honest I try to get the bands on without removing the wires most times. If I were keeping one and wanted to change bands regularly I would shorten the bars a little to avoid needing to remove them. It is a stupid design at best by Panerai but they seem to be not getting the message the latest quick release buttons are going to be the next problem

kolchak
These are not an easy watch to change the band on to be honest I try to get the bands on without removing the wires most times. If I were keeping one and wanted to change bands regularly I would shorten the bars a little to avoid needing to remove them. It is a stupid design at best by Panerai but they seem to be not getting the message the latest quick release buttons are going to be the next problem

Are the rad lugs & quick release buttons an issue on the gens too?

prestigewatchco

Quick release for sure and radiomir Panerai change the screws at service so yes must be a problem

dingle

I had this problem. Blue loctite is all you need.

181690.JPG