Del

[Decision made!] Breitling or Panerai - which would you buy?

Del

DECISION:-

UPDATE:-
I tried on the Breitling today in an AD and while I thought it was a superb watch I didn’t feel the “wow factor”. However, I also tried on this TAG Heuer Monaco 1969 re-issue “Steve McQueen” and, I have to say, I liked it a lot, more than I expected...! :Thinking:

ACD2-A4-A7-2713-4-CA5-91-F1-0-D2-BAC706-

Which one would you buy and why?

Genuine, same price, no other options to be considered. ;)

Both have in-house movements. Panerai is hand wound, Breitling is automatic.

110_1.png

1690266.png.transform.global_square_imag

Foxindebox

Personally, I’d go for the Breitling. I love a Milanese :thumbsup:

• Like 1

simey83

Of those two, it would be the Panerai for me :) Not fussed on that Breitling model. But I’m sure you’d be very happy with either!!

Simey

• Like 1

tribefan

Panerai in a heartbeat. Just got a 609 rep and love that watch. Fits perfect looks fantastic.

• Like 1

Jibuti

PAM, od course....

• Like 1

n18lld

I’m taking it your about to splash out again? Pam all day long

• Like 2

GingerApple

Surely it's nothing more than personal taste (Breitling out of those two for me)?

• Like 1

Del
11 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

Personally, I’d go for the Breitling. I love a Milanese :thumbsup:

I do like the mesh bracelet on this model.  Had one on my SOH reps years ago and it was amazing.  However, I need to really like the watch too! :lol:  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, simey83 said:

Of those two, it would be the Panerai for me :) Not fussed on that Breitling model. But I’m sure you’d be very happy with either!!

Simey

Thanks!  I like them both.  The SOH has always been a favourite of mine and this new version with a ceramic bezel insert at 44mm really appeals to me.  But then, I really like the Panerai too, and I've always liked Panerai since the first day I saw them - on RWG! :lol: 

5 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Panerai in a heartbeat. Just got a 609 rep and love that watch. Fits perfect looks fantastic.

Thanks!  The 609 is almost identical of course, but with the 8 days P.5000 movement  - the gen is a bit pricier than the PAM 754 above. :thumbsup2:

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, n18lld said:

And your called me rich for having a cleaner! This guy's minted!

Del
4 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

PAM, od course....

:lol: Thanks!

4 minutes ago, n18lld said:

It's my birthday next month! :D   Thanks!

1 minute ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Surely it's nothing more than personal taste (Breitling out of those two for me)?

Indeed, but I was interested in opinions! ;) Thanks!

1 minute ago, TheGingerFerret said:

And your called me rich for having a cleaner! This guy's minted!

I don't have a cleaner! :p 

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

Go for the PAM. Have something different in your collection. I'd have the PAM over the Breitling (assuming that I already had a Gen yellow Sea Wolf of course!)

• Like 1

BM284

I’d go for the Pam in a heartbeat! Just my 10pence worth of opinion :) 

• Like 1

Del
3 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Go for the PAM. Have something different in your collection. I'd have the PAM over the Breitling (assuming that I already had a Gen yellow Sea Wolf of course!)

Thanks!  I'm leaning that way actually, for that exact reason! :thumbsup2: 

Just now, BM284 said:

I’d go for the Pam in a heartbeat! Just my 10pence worth of opinion :) 

:thumbsup2: Thanks!

Mike R

Although both are very nice watches, I would go for the Breitling

Especially if we are talking genuine. Only know this because as I look at my watches I know I have a genuine Superocean.

but also a rep Pam to round out the collection  

I don’t have any statistics but I think in the US more often the  Breitling  would be the choice.

• Like 1

Del
4 minutes ago, Mike R said:

Although both are very nice watches, I would go for the Breitling

Especially if we are talking genuine. Only know this because as I look at my watches I know I have a genuine Superocean.

but also a rep Pam to round out the collection  

I don’t have any statistics but I think in the US more often the  Breitling  would be the choice.

Thanks!  :thumbsup2:

deju

Breitling, the biggest let down was buying my Panerai, the Reps are just too good. It’s not like a Rolex where the gen has that gen feel. The Panerai reps feel the exact same, no magic here at all. 

The breitlings a beast, the bracelets a beast. I just think that’s the solid choice. 

• Like 1

Realism

I'd look at it at a few angles...

1.) Brand Equity: Breitling had been on a downhill ride until Georges Kern's takeover as CEO with the CVC capital buyout. While the recovery has been slow, Kern is the guy that made IWC what it is today. Panerai has been on a rough downhill patch ever since their unlimited limited editions tire even their most ardent supporters... Richemont's group solution.... Make Roger Dubuis ex CEO into the new PAM CEO. I'm afraid the brand is in the gutters for a forseable future.

2.) Future collectibility. I will put a little more weight on the SOH II heritage being a little bit more "unique" than the Radiomir... As an owner of a PAM 3xx (you can PM me to know which one I have), the constant lego blocks mixing and matching that goes on at PAM drives every Ristis mad... At the end of the day... Most PAM models look alike... Most just arent special... Even the Bronzo is suffering from the same sickness.

3.) Last but not least, PAM reps are so good that you could try it out by getting a rep to try it out first...I didnt get to try it out that way then as my PAM model was not perfectly repped then.

Hope it helps. Just  few cents after taking a dunking in the old world of PAM and Ristis

• Like 1

Del
15 minutes ago, deju said:

Breitling, the biggest let down was buying my Panerai, the Reps are just too good. It’s not like a Rolex where the gen has that gen feel. The Panerai reps feel the exact same, no magic here at all. 

The breitlings a beast, the bracelets a beast. I just think that’s the solid choice. 

Thanks!  Yes, you make good points, some of which I've been deliberating already.

10 minutes ago, Realism said:

I'd look at it at a few angles...

1.) Brand Equity: Breitling had been on a downhill ride until Georges Kern's takeover as CEO with the CVC capital buyout. While the recovery has been slow, Kern is the guy that made IWC what it is today. Panerai has been on a rough downhill patch ever since their unlimited limited editions tire even their most ardent supporters... Richemont's group solution.... Make Roger Dubuis ex CEO into the new PAM CEO. I'm afraid the brand is in the gutters for a forseable future.

2.) Future collectibility. I will put a little more weight on the SOH II heritage being a little bit more "unique" than the Radiomir... As an owner of a PAM 3xx (you can PM me to know which one I have), the constant lego blocks mixing and matching that goes on at PAM drives every Ristis mad... At the end of the day... Most PAM models look alike... Most just arent special... Even the Bronzo is suffering from the same sickness.

3.) Last but not least, PAM reps are so good that you could try it out by getting a rep to try it out first...I didnt get to try it out that way then as my PAM model was not perfectly repped then.

Hope it helps. Just  few cents after taking a dunking in the old world of PAM and Ristis

Thanks for this comprehensive response!  This is all great food for thought, absolutely, but sometimes it's nice just to buy a watch you like rather than look into things too much.  I don't think either model is going to be a particularly great investment with strong resale values, and both companies are not flying high as you mentioned. So, perhaps, as long as I can get my chosen watch at a good price and expect to enjoy wearing it then that might be the most important consideration... ;) 

• Like 1

deju

For background have you had either watches in replica form? 

BravoDelta

✔ One vote for the black Breitling Superocean on the mesh bracelet for me. Love that look. 

• Like 1

Del
14 minutes ago, deju said:

For background have you had either watches in replica form? 

I've had both black and blue SOHv2 reps, on OR rubber and gen mesh.  I've also had reps PAM 380 and PAM 292 Radiomirs too! :lol: 

Breitling was probably my first big thing but Panerai soon took over.  Both watches have nostalgic attributes for me!

Del
7 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

✔ One vote for the black Breitling Superocean on the mesh bracelet for me. Love that look. 

Thanks!  It does look great! :) 

FoxWilde

Both superb watches. Panerai for me, personally. Not yet attached to the SuperOcean dial. A personal preference, but no wrong choices here.

happy shopping!

• Like 1

deju
19 minutes ago, Del said:

I've had both black and blue SOHv2 reps, on OR rubber and gen mesh.  I've also had reps PAM 380 and PAM 292 Radiomirs too! :lol: 

Breitling was probably my first big thing but Panerai soon took over.  Both watches have nostalgic attributes for me!

Which one do you prefer? I mean they are both on the table which would you grab to wear. 

It be ace if the AD had both and just sat them in front of you, you’d automatically pick up the one haha 

• Like 1

Callumz

The Breitling for me personally - love the Milanese bracelet!  

• Like 1