Del

[Decision made!] Breitling or Panerai - which would you buy?

MAJ75

Just to add my view to the excellent thoughts & opinions expressed so far.

I am firmly in the Breitling camp.

The SOH for me has been a serious consideration for the last couple of years (& my wishlist for gens is extremely short!) I think it is a highlight from their current stable along with the Transocean Day-Date.

The question that I always ask myself & urge you to consider is how is your lifestyle defined? & therefore how does the potential piece fit into your rotation?

Because my working life is office based & smart casual with fairly regular suited meetings & even away from work I favour a less casual look the SOH is the only one that fits this profile. Though the Panerai is one of their classier models I couldn't imagine it fitting smarter occasions so well.

If you live a more casual lifestyle then maybe the Panerai fits better.

I remember a few years ago seeing one of those reality series about people selling real estate in NYC & one of the main guys used to wear the original SOH on the milanese band & it looked so great & eye-catching & from that moment I have had it on the list.

Best of luck in making the decision & I look forward to the photo-shoot!

• Like 1

Del
3 minutes ago, deju said:

Which one do you prefer? I mean they are both on the table which would you grab to wear. 

It be ace if the AD had both and just sat them in front of you, you’d automatically pick up the one haha 

Honestly, I was after a PAM and have already tried on the Rad in an AD. I loved it. However, since then I was checking what else might be available and the SOH came up, again. I‘ve had this on a few shortlists! :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Callumz said:

The Breitling for me personally - love the Milanese bracelet!  

Thanks!

Del
7 minutes ago, MAJ75 said:

Just to add my view to the excellent thoughts & opinions expressed so far.

I am firmly in the Breitling camp.

The SOH for me has been a serious consideration for the last couple of years (& my wishlist for gens is extremely short!) I think it is a highlight from their current stable along with the Transocean Day-Date.

The question that I always ask myself & urge you to consider is how is your lifestyle defined? & therefore how does the potential piece fit into your rotation?

Because my working life is office based & smart casual with fairly regular suited meetings & even away from work I favour a less casual look the SOH is the only one that fits this profile. Though the Panerai is one of their classier models I couldn't imagine it fitting smarter occasions so well.

If you live a more casual lifestyle then maybe the Panerai fits better.

I remember a few years ago seeing one of those reality series about people selling real estate in NYC & one of the main guys used to wear the original SOH on the milanese band & it looked so great & eye-catching & from that moment I have had it on the list.

Best of luck in making the decision & I look forward to the photo-shoot!

Thanks for this. :thumbsup2:

Lifestyle is a good point. I very rarely dress formally now and so a pure dress watch would not be ideal. I think both watches could fit a more casual lifestyle but, to be honest, when I tried on the PAM I though it was actually quite dressy! :lol: 

If I bought the PAM then I’d be tempted to buy an Asso strap for it. In a way, it’s a pity it doesn’t come on brown leather, like the Base Logo version. 

NCRich

Can't lose either way.  Personally I like the SOH, but the PAM balances out your collection. 

So, in conclusion, I'd buy a Grand Seiko snowflake :lol:

You really can't lose.

• Like 1

Del
Just now, NCRich said:

Can't lose either way.  Personally I like the SOH, but the PAM balances out your collection. 

So, in conclusion, I'd buy a Grand Seiko snowflake :lol:

You really can't lose.

:rofl: Love it!

Chiquita Fanjita

PAM for me mate. 

You’ve already been there with a gen Breitling and it’s not every day you see a gen PAM, it’s a rarer beast. 

As you know I have a Franken SOH, and I’m a fan of it, but I’d still say go for the PAM.

• Like 1

n18lld

Fuck it. If it’s your birthday get one of each!

• Like 1

Del
2 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

PAM for me mate. 

You’ve already been there with a gen Breitling and it’s not every day you see a gen PAM, it’s a rarer beast. 

As you know I have a Franken SOH, and I’m a fan of it, but I’d still say go for the PAM.

Thanks mate! Yeah, I think the PAM gives me something new and different from a collection point of view. :thumbsup2:

Just now, n18lld said:

Fuck it. If it’s your birthday get one of each!

There’s the answer!! :lol: 

GingerApple

Honestly, why are you buying so many Gens. That one Pam could buy, I don't know, 20 awesome reps. You're the boss of a Rep  forum FFS, buy the 20 reps!!!!! :rofl:

#GB4NewBoss

Del
4 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Honestly, why are you buying so many Gens. That one Pam could buy, I don't know, 20 awesome reps. You're the boss of a Rep  forum FFS, buy the 20 reps!!!!! :rofl:

#GB4NewBoss

I’m only here for the banter. :finger:

• Like 1

Genius

Don't buy a gen panerai. 

Just don't

Also the Breitling bracelet is epic

So, buy both, gen Breitling and get the rep Pam when ale says it's good enough 

• Like 1

hasel5

b920a5555a9a831c58798d9526625af1.jpg

Love a gen Breitling does me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Del
16 minutes ago, Genius said:

Don't buy a gen panerai. 

Just don't

Also the Breitling bracelet is epic

So, buy both, gen Breitling and get the rep Pam when ale says it's good enough 

:lol:  The SOH v2 is just as good a rep as the PAMs! ;) 

11 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

Love a gen Breitling does me

Indeed! Nice. 

Intresting

Both lovely.  The PAM is more instantly recognizable at a distance with its distinctive cushion case and wire lugs.   I think SOH while nice is more generic in look and at a distance could be SINN, or ORIS, or Blancpain or even a Seiko Prospex.   But the rep PAMs are really really good.

Yeah, buy the Seiko Snowflake.   That dial is amazing.

• Like 1

Abe Fromen

Neither... get a Jaeger 

Del
11 minutes ago, Intresting said:

Both lovely.  The PAM is more instantly recognizable at a distance with its distinctive cushion case and wire lugs.   I think SOH while nice is more generic in look and at a distance could be SINN, or ORIS, or Blancpain or even a Seiko Prospex.   But the rep PAMs are really really good.

Yeah, buy the Seiko Snowflake.   That dial is amazing.

Thanks! I think you’re right about the SOH being more generic in appearance, although the mesh helps it stand out. 

Glaude

I prefer the Breitling over that particular model of PAM, but you already have a Breitling in your collection, and I'm a man of diversity, so for that sole reason, I would go for the PAM.

However, everybody else made solid points which I agree with, in regards to Panerai quality, brand etc... so in the end, I would go for the Breitling

Did you had a hard time narrowed it down to those two choices, where they other competitor ?

• Like 1

brang1

i like the Pam actually, strangely the only thing that puts me off the Breitling is the Mesh

• Like 1

Rx4Time

I fear in house movements and long term repairability, so neither one is high on my list.   Also, while I love panerai, that particular model /case style is not one I'd recommend.  The lugs and difficulty in changing straps is a major drawback for someone who likes to mix it up frequently.  Between these  two specific models, I'm forced to say the Breitling.  If you add a luminor case into the mix then Panerai hands down.

16 minutes ago, brang1 said:

i like the Pam actually, strangely the only thing that puts me off the Breitling is the Mesh

I had a breitling superocean heritage chronograph.  I ended up putting it on rubber as I didn't like the mesh. 

• Like 2

brang1

Shit, I forgot about the Pam lugs,They are a nightmare...Breitling for sure

• Like 1

Realism
23 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

I fear in house movements and long term repairability, so neither one is high on my list. 

Here's the fun part about the Breitling B20 movement.... it is actually the same movement as the Tudor MT 5612... Made by the Kenissi Group...

Chanel is also now a shareholder with Tudor for the Kenissi movement producer group...

It is a very solid movement...

Here's a fun quick read:

https://calibercorner.com/tudor-caliber-mt5612/

• Like 1

Piloten

Generally not a fan of the ocean series but between these two, the Breitling looks classier. The whole "radiomir" thing kind of grates, feels like buying an expensive rep.

If that makes sense.

• Like 1

Del
4 hours ago, Glaude said:

Did you had a hard time narrowed it down to those two choices, where they other competitor ?

Well, kind of,  but owning a Panerai is something I’ve fancied for a while, although I’m not prepared to pay for an expensive one. And I’ve always had a soft spot for the SOH! I did briefly look at the TAG Monaco 1969 “Steve McQueen” re-issue from 2015 but it falls into a slightly higher price bracket, and I’m not 100% sure of the square case! (Could grow on me though....)

2 hours ago, Realism said:

Here's the fun part about the Breitling B20 movement.... it is actually the same movement as the Tudor MT 5612... Made by the Kenissi Group...

Chanel is also now a shareholder with Tudor for the Kenissi movement producer group...

It is a very solid movement...

Here's a fun quick read:

https://calibercorner.com/tudor-caliber-mt5612/

Thanks for this! Yes, I was aware of the B20 movement details and that is a big plus point for the SOH. :thumbsup2:

k4jun
4 hours ago, brang1 said:

Shit, I forgot about the Pam lugs,They are a nightmare...Breitling for sure

This^^^ For my personal taste - radomir lugs are unbelivable, it is hard to believe someone designed them on purpose. Had to be a failure of some junior designer I guess.

Del, as this is about gens - aren't you concern about PAM being soft in case of re-sale?

• Like 2

splke

Both fantastic pieces Del I do think the pam would fit and suit you more. Personally I love the pam it has so much class 

• Like 1