Del

[Decision made!] Breitling or Panerai - which would you buy?

Del
11 minutes ago, k4jun said:

This^^^ For my personal taste - radomir lugs are unbelivable, it is hard to believe someone designed them on purpose. Had to be a failure of some junior designer I guess.

Del, as this is about gens - aren't you concern about PAM being soft in case of re-sale?

Yes, I guess the lugs could be a pain but I doubt I’d change the strap very often anyway. 

I’m not concerned about re-sale. I’d be buying for my own use and enjoyment. Plus, I’ll not be paying full price. ;) 

6 minutes ago, splke said:

Both fantastic pieces Del I do think the pam would fit and suit you more. Personally I love the pam it has so much class 

Thanks mate. :thumbsup2:

rusky27

Thinking Between the two the pam for you del it would be a good addition to your collection. Although personally I’d agree with others as the reps are good enough for my tastes. 
Whatever the outcome I’m sure you’ll be thrilled with what you get, just get a good discount off them, as traditionally they won’t be getting many sales during January. 
best time!

Edited by rusky27
  • Like 1

Realism
1 hour ago, Del said:

Thanks for this! Yes, I was aware of the B20 movement details and that is a big plus point for the SOH. :thumbsup2:

Both watches have very solid movements... Despite being "non ETAs"... I have no doubt they can take a beating...

My only experience is with a P2002 movement... Advertised as 8 days, but in my personal experience, lasted closer to 9 days...

The watch itself is currently closer to 7-8 years old, with no servicing required as of yet ( touch wood)...

Reading between the lines here... it seems like your heart is set on the PAM, rather than the Breitling... I'd say ignore us all... and go with your heart!

Just Make sure to get the best deal you could... and wear it well!

• Like 1

Del
1 hour ago, rusky27 said:

Thinking Between the two the pam for you del it would be a good addition to your collection. Although personally I’d agree with others as the reps are good enough for my tastes. 
Whatever the outcome I’m sure you’ll be thrilled with what you get, just get a good discount off them, as traditionally they won’t be getting many sales during January. 
best time!

Thanks mate! :thumbsup2:

50 minutes ago, Realism said:

Both watches have very solid movements... Despite being "non ETAs"... I have no doubt they can take a beating...

My only experience is with a P2002 movement... Advertised as 8 days, but in my personal experience, lasted closer to 9 days...

The watch itself is currently closer to 7-8 years old, with no servicing required as of yet ( touch wood)...

Reading between the lines here... it seems like your heart is set on the PAM, rather than the Breitling... I'd say ignore us all... and go with your heart!

Just Make sure to get the best deal you could... and wear it well!

Thanks for this! :)   Would I ignore you guys?!! :lol: 

Waspy

Well I certainly wouldn't base my choice on the Breitling bracelet.

Decent Milanese can be bought for 50-60 bucks on Strapcode.

Also, I do love a hand-wind watch

Genius
1 hour ago, Realism said:

You ever take it out of your safe though?

Realism
20 minutes ago, Genius said:

You ever take it out of your safe though?

That PAM? Yeah, now it gets worn in rotation with the Speedy, GP chrono, Orient M-Force... Only on days where i will be in a room with AC though... Else strap changing is PITA...

Not a daily wear for sure

Addition: The "composite" case promised as being hard as ceramics and malleable as Steel was total BS though :giggle: ... it was PVDed Aluminum

Edited by Realism

Piccolo

The Pam. You’ve already got a Breitling. 

Really no other options though? There’s always other options...! :D

• Like 1

BadApple

I would be having the same dilemma here. 

The standard of replicas are so high, especially on the Breitling and many of the Pams I would be tempted to go for a Gen that isn't repped.

Was it a straight "must" it would be the PAM and enjoy the Breitling reps. 

• Like 1

Del
29 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Really no other options though? There’s always other options...! :D

Yes indeed! :lol: 

deju

So we’re all agreed next week Del buys the Franck Müller watch :lol:

• Like 2

Del

:lol:  (Might not buy anything! :Whistle:)

zulu44gmt

LUME!!!! Pam... Rad case is so comfy... Straps. Black leather, gold calf , asso, red/brown gator, gold croc...black stich, white stich... If you want a mesh,,, CERTINA DS 1 60YR LMTD ED (Actually I'm surprised you don't already have that one, lol)c14b28353d76c5f0938505fff1a11832.jpge4795ea4751d7a7651bb8a8d826664c1.jpgf2d08cc378253ef02216d66f5360dc20.jpg0145df5b72de28084e1acfa5363b71f4.jpg3dfeae5075825ac438d676c7bc125dbc.jpg6009f0bca8177643383fa6a72d3ab0ef.jpg8f63804c6aecad870e6a2f097236d7bd.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

GingerApple
1 hour ago, BadApple said:

The standard of replicas are so high, especially on the Breitling and many of the Pams I would be tempted to go for a Gen that isn't repped.

Totally in agreement with BA (well, I still stand by my 20 high end reps suggestion, but on the basis that this is a Gen only scenario, BA's suggestion is a close second). Why bother with watches that are 90+% of the real deal? Get something that will never be repped (well) like a GS or something:

a5BUS.jpg a5rxW.jpg

Or push the boat out a bit price wise and go for this. Always the coolest watch in the room.....

a5lfL.jpg

• Like 1

Del
3 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Totally in agreement with BA (well, I still stand by my 20 high end reps suggestion, but on the basis that this is a Gen only scenario, BA's suggestion is a close second). Why bother with watches that are 90+% of the real deal? Get something that will never be repped (well) like a GS or something:

This isn’t a thread to debate gen v rep. :rolleyes:

I also didn’t want alternatives since there are, literally, hundreds... :facepalm:

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, Del said:

I also didn’t want alternatives since there are, literally, hundreds... :facepalm:

Good point.

That idiot BadApple, can't believe he brought it up.....:Whistle:

NFleischer

DSCN0085.jpg

I have the regular Pam 380 Logo which is a lovely piece (I also bought Asso strap). That said; I've had terrible luck with the movement. The keyless works have broken at least 3 different times.

Panerai was pretty good in that 2 times out of 4 they didn't charge. The other times I paid a total of $800 for repairs. It's hard to judge because I bought at a gray site like Jomashop.

Maybe the watch was just a lemon, it happens. I'm not crazy about the wire lugs and I would probably get one of the 1940 case series with thick lugs if I were to buy again.

I like the SOH case but I'm not a fan of the mesh bracelet in general. Knowing you I would think that a Pam would bring more variety to the collection.

Del
6 minutes ago, NFleischer said:

I have the regular Pam 380 Logo which is a lovely piece (I also bought Asso strap). That said; I've had terrible luck with the movement. The keyless works have broken at least 3 different times.

Panerai was pretty good in that 2 times out of 4 they didn't charge. The other times I paid a total of $800 for repairs. It's hard to judge because I bought at a gray site like Jomashop.

Maybe the watch was just a lemon, it happens. I'm not crazy about the wire lugs and I would probably get one of the 1940 case series with thick lugs if I were to buy again.

I like the SOH case but I'm not a fan of the mesh bracelet in general. Knowing you I would think that a Pam would bring more variety to the collection.

Thanks mate. Sorry to hear that you’ve had such bad luck with the 380 - that’s got the ETA movement, hasn’t it? They are normally bullet proof!

Huxflux1337

My personal choise would be the Breitling.

I love the strap of the Breitling. Super clean.

Both watches are awesome though, you can't go wrong with either one of them.

• Like 1

Dendo

For you - The Panerai, I understand the dilemma - I am a fan of both.

Enjoy it - beautiful watches - reps are amazing but the gens are somehow sophisticated.

• Like 1

Del
33 minutes ago, Dendo said:

For you - The Panerai, I understand the dilemma - I am a fan of both.

Enjoy it - beautiful watches - reps are amazing but the gens are somehow sophisticated.

Thanks mate - I knew you’d understand! ;) 

black263

If its a straight choice between the two, for me  it would be the Breitling.    Two reasons.  First, no matter which watch or make, I can't wear a watch without a date.  So easy choice.

Second, is that I bought the gen Breitling, so I'd  be a twat to say I got it wrong.  Fortunately, I don't think I did. It looks great, and that bracelet knocks any other milanese out of the ring.

• Like 1

deju
10 hours ago, Del said:

What a ginger prick.... I’d put him in the gulag if it was me. :Whistle:

• Like 1

NFleischer
17 hours ago, Del said:

Thanks mate. Sorry to hear that you’ve had such bad luck with the 380 - that’s got the ETA movement, hasn’t it? They are normally bullet proof!

Actually movement is very good -true chronometer. Always had issues with keyless works. They had issues a few years ago with 318 Brooklyn Bridge,got caught using cheap unfinished ETA 6497. They were forced to replace a bunch of movements.

midasmook

I've said to you in person Del I'd never pay the cash for a gen Pam especially as the gens are so good. The lugs on the radiomir are a pain. Having said that I'm not keen on the Breitling. Have you ever had a look at Bremont ? The alt-c is a beauty. Best of Luck to you.