Sign in to follow this  
ThinkBachs

Tourist dies in Naples after Rolex assault

ThinkBachs

(Reuters) - An American tourist has died in Naples nine days after he was assaulted by thieves trying to steal his Rolex watch, police said on Friday.

Oscar Antonio Mendoza, 66, from Puerto Rico, had just stepped off a cruise ship to tour the southern Italian city with his wife on May 18 when two men approached him on a scooter, grabbed his arm and tried to take his Rolex.

Mendoza struggled with one of the men and was thrown to the ground, hitting his head. He was taken to hospital and operated on but did not regain consciousness.

Police are searching for the thieves, who sped off on their scooter without the watch after knocking Mendoza over. (Reporting by Laura Viggiano, writing by Catherine Hornby)

Hey, at least he still has it right?

boneyjr

that sucks...

Luthier

Rolex is a brand to die for...

Mattwanz1
I let it go to you, peedog, I know I am a fucking stupid SOB but cannot help my heart is great and filled with the emotions of Easter Friday...

Have a great time on this magnificent piece modded to perfection by Chris!

he's not VIP!!!

just kidding, GLWS and lucky buyer SOB!!

I bet it was a rep too.....

nunu78

That's sad, that's one of the reason I luv reps

Dr.Verylong

He'd be dead even if it was a rep.

Lesson 1: Don't take expensive things with you on holidays, especially into third-world-countries like that :irish_dance:

David543

Natural reaction not to let some thieving scum take your things. Sounds like a snatch that went wrong. I'm just sad for the guy. :irish_dance:

bobbuilder621

Wow, really sad. Die on vacation with your family over a watch.

Just another reason for me to go with reps (that and I don't have much money).

Hope they catch the thugs.

powderfreak

Fuck! That really sucks... and btw: A rep wouldn't help in that situation, the guy fell and hit his head, not his watch!

bobbuilder621

Yeah, I know. In this case it wouldn't have mattered.

But in general when I go on a vacation, having to worry about losing a gen expensive watch is something I would rather not have to deal with, not that I own any.

baruch

el hombre di casa!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinct
Lesson 1: Don't take expensive things with you on holidays, especially into third-world-countries like that :)

I fully agree with the first part of your Lesson. Are you being sarcastic about Italy being a 3rd world country?

nickee_2dS

I'm italian and naples is well know for things like this.

I'm very sorry for that event.

If someone want to stole something from me I don't fight. It's to dangerous

Rav747

What is the world comming to?!?!?? :)

fe22ari

Crap. Poor chap. Good that he resisted, bad that he fell on his head and guess where I'm going on holiday this year.

It is an awful story but I don't want to go on holiday to Italy, of all places, with a cheap as chips Casio on my wrist.

torobravo

I think those scooter-thieves should be shot..

Dendo

Poor guy - could have been mugged for anything and the same thing could have happened.

Italy is an awesome country but there are problems. I was in Tuscany last June and last week I got my 4th and 5th traffic fine sent to me for some infraction in Pisa 11 months ago!!!!

Bastards. I have no idea what I did but I paid the first three parking fines and now I will pay the 200 Euros, but I am still none the wiser.

I mean.... ...its not as if Berlusconi obeys the law is it?

cobn
I think those scooter-thieves should be shot..

yeah. but when you shoot one of them, there will be 2 new one soon.

Wiz
Lesson 1: Don't take expensive things with you on holidays, especially into third-world-countries like that :D

I fully agree with the first part of your Lesson. Are you being sarcastic about Italy being a 3rd world country?

I believe he was, but it's true south italy is borderline 3rd world.

When I was a student we used to go there or in south Spain on holidays, because with only a little money we could rent killer houses and get all the booze and food we wanted.

jimmyjones

That sucks but its usually the way it goes as far as picking a victim/target older is safer and less likely to fight back

I unfortunately tend to bite.

pkasquad

3 things....

1) A rep potentially could have helped, if he decided to just part with it and let them have it when they tried to take it off his arm instead of struggle

2) parts of Italy may be considered "3rd world" but I don't believe that is the case with Naples (especially the areas where tourists tend to hang in Naples)

3) This is pretty tragic that someone lost their life over something material and now without meaning or value to the deceased, so we should have enough decency not to make remarks such as "hey at least he still has it" or "a rolex is to die for"

Wiz
3 things....

1) A rep potentially could have helped, if he decided to just part with it and let them have it when they tried to take it off his arm instead of struggle

2) parts of Italy may be considered "3rd world" but I don't believe that is the case with Naples (especially the areas where tourists tend to hang in Naples)

3) This is pretty tragic that someone lost their life over something material and now without meaning or value to the deceased, so we should have enough decency not to make remarks such as "hey at least he still has it" or "a rolex is to die for"

This is humour mate... People die every day, if you want to stop enjoying life because of it, be my guest, but nobody is forced to act the same.

Also, it's not tragic that someone lost his life for something material, it's freaking stupid. Everyone knows never to fight back in this kind of situation. You can still buy a new watch, and even if your dad gave if to you, I'm not sure he would like you to die for it...

NFleischer

Too bad, I usually bring reps on trips also. (Afraid even in a hotel if something is out in

the open). People today are just plain viscious- I heard of a poor couple shot AFTER they were robbed in a car

jacking in Mexico. I think they died also; the guy was seen landing in Mexico City with a Rolex and the thieves followed the car.

pkasquad
3 things....

This is humour mate... People die every day, if you want to stop enjoying life because of it, be my guest, but nobody is forced to act the same.

Also, it's not tragic that someone lost his life for something material, it's stupid. You can still buy a new watch. A new life? Not so much...

I'm sorry wiz, but I don't see the humor behind a man losing his life over a material possession. That being said, I know YOU or anyone else on this forum would find no humor in it if it were a family member. What if that man were your dad? As far as enjoying life, I'm doing that to the fullest, but in my repertoire of happiness, there is no "humor" in the loss of a human life equating to my stopping or starting to "enjoy life"

let me make it clear that this is not my "argument" with you, simply my thought process behind this matter.

Edited by pkasquad

Wiz
3 things....

Also, it's not tragic that someone lost his life for something material, it's stupid. You can still buy a new watch. A new life? Not so much...

I'm sorry wiz, but I don't see the humor behind a man losing his life over a material possession. That being said, I know YOU or anyone else on this forum would find no humor in it if it were a family member. What if that man were your dad? As far as enjoying life, I'm doing that to the fullest, but in my repertoire of happiness, there is no "humor" in the loss of a human life equating to my stopping or starting to "enjoy life"

let me make it clear that this is not my "argument" with you, simply my thought process behind this matter.

Oh, so everytime you hear someone died you feel sorry for him? You must spend your days and nights feeling sorry for others!!

And what about all the people who die and you don't hear about it? Do you feel sorry for them as well? Because any of them could be one of your familly members as well...

This kind of speech is just plain stupid... Go ahead and flagellate yourself with stinging nettle, I'm gonna grab a beer...