Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

PAM 177 Repair, service and relume for simonc

Wiz

A few weeks back simonc sent me his PAM177 for repair.

After opening it I notice the watch was in pretty bad condition. The caseback gasket too thin and too small, allowing dirt and damp to come in. The movement was of course quite dirty, but the dial was also peeling off.

Notice the weird cannon pinion :)

P1040798.jpg

P1040799.jpg

Center wheel axis broken into the cannon pinion.

P1040801.jpg

Started disassembling the movement. I didn't take pics of all the steps, this thread would have ended up being way too pics heavy :(

P1040803.jpg

P1040804.jpg

P1040805.jpg

P1040809.jpg

P1040810.jpg

Broken center wheel axis.

P1040816.jpg

Watch fully disassembled.

P1040817.jpg

After cleaning of the parts, putting the watch back together. Here as well I skipped some steps while taking the pics.

P1050010.jpg

P1050011.jpg

P1050013.jpg

P1050014.jpg

Movement reassembled. While I was at it I flattened and polished the new high cannon pinion, and installed a matching high hour wheel.

P1050016.jpg

Stem was too short, causing troubles to put the stem back in normal position, so I had to install a longer one.

P1050026.jpg

I source a brand new 111J dial and hands set to replace the tired ones. Simon didn't asked for a relume, but I wanted to test something, so I relumed the brand new 111J dial and hands. One thick base layer of Tritec C3 and a top layer of w@tchlume WG.

Here is a comparision between the old and new relumed dial.

P1050017.jpg

After a few minutes, rep lume fadded almost completly, new lume is still glowing strong.

P1050021.jpg

The watch was quite difficult to regulate, mostly because I'm a timegrapher noob, but also because those low beat 18000 bph tends to be very innacurate.

P1050039.jpg

Watch is now done, with a brand new greased caseback gasket and a slightly tightened CG lever.

P1050027.jpg

P1050029.jpg

P1050034.jpg

P1050037.jpg

Thanks for looking!

nunu78

wow Wiz,thts look awesome mate.

KeNnY

very nice wiz !

WebWind

Awesome job! :)

KeNnY

I was so naive, that back is engraved, and those are only glued decals :)

kolchak

That is one righteous 177.....You are Batman (or minimally been blessed with some unique watch smith super powers)

Any chance you can share the approximate tally for this type of job?

Wiz
That is one righteous 177.....You are Batman (or minimally been blessed with some unique watch smith super powers)

Any chance you can share the approximate tally for this type of job?

Sorry, me English no good :)

tally?

Wiz

The the record, I'm not reponsible for the damage on the screws :)

The watch went to a "watchmaker" in the middle east before ending here.

Dendo

Wonderful work WIZ. Very skillful.

I think Kolchak meant 'what did you charge Simon' by 'what is the tally'.

Wiz

At the begining Simon sent me the watch for an Asian 6497 movement swap, but after opening it I realized the movement was Swiss, so I told Simon maybe it would be better to repair. I also noticed the dial was in very bad condition so I asked if he wanted me to get him a new one.

But I was only supposed to repair the movement and swap the dial and hands, so I only charged him for these and the stem replacement.

The other stuffs I did at my own innitiative, as I remembered he told me he really loves this watch. But as I didn't asked him first, I off course couldn't charge him, therefore the price doesn't reflect at all the work that has been done.

Dendo
At the begining Simon sent me the watch for an Asian 6497 movement swap, but after opening it I realized the movement was Swiss, so I told Simon maybe it would be better to repair. I also noticed the dial was in very bad condition so I asked if he wanted me to get him a new one.

But I was only supposed to repair the movement and swap the dial and hands, so I only charged him for these and the stem replacement.

The other stuffs I did at my own innitiative, as I remembered he told me he really loves this watch. But as I didn't asked him first, I off course couldn't charge him, therefore the price doesn't reflect at all the work that has been done.

You are a good person Wiz!! And very talented.

Wiz

You are a good person Wiz!! And very talented.

Thanks a lot mate, but this movement is really easy to work on. Everything is large and solid, you can't really mess up.

The next step for me would be automatic movements, but that's a very different story.

Del

Excellent work wiz! :)

Very impressive.

Fed949

Thanks a lot mate, but this movement is really easy to work on. Everything is large and solid, you can't really mess up.

The next step for me would be automatic movements, but that's a very different story.

I am very happy that you are a very responsible person. I have a few Panerai replicas but need to do a work over, like re-lume or cleaning and timing and so forth. If you are interested, I can send them to you for a major overhaul.

Regards,

FED949

Edited by Fed949

Wiz

Sure, shoot me a pm mate.

Wiz

Fed949

lol... you are very excited. Will send the pm.

Fed949

Wiz

lol... you are very excited. Will send the pm.

Fed949

lol, don't know what happend! :picard2: