Nacho1991

[ASIA 3186] Watch stops at 23.00

Nacho1991

Hello, folks.

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this, sorry if it's not the case.

I've recently bought a GMT Master II PEPSI with an ASIAN 3186 CHS from BP Factory. This watch was for a friend so I only checked once received and everything looked fine, smooth movement, nice adjustment, independent GMT working...

After one week my friend has told me that the watch stops EVERY NIGHT at 23.00. I adjusted the GMT hand to be "in line" with the other hands, thus meaning that, i.e., at 6.00 PM, GMT hand will be at 18 mark.

I don't know if this may be a huge failure or, maybe, it's been caused by hands misallignement. At 23:00, more or less, the four hands tend to overlap, so a bad hands allignement may cause the seconds hand to stop if they are in contact (I'm just guessing)

My friend is living in another country, so I cannot check the watch again.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I've placed the same question to the TD I've acquired it from, but it's a hard time to get any response from Chinese Sellers.

GingerApple

Hmmmm, a tricky one. There's literally nothing I can usefully add.

But I'm not going to let that stop me!!!!

If the watch runs well the rest of the time, perhaps you can just suggest to your friend that he goes to bed at 11pm each night, thus not needing to know the time thereafter, until he sets it again each morning?

Hope this helps.

I do wish you genuine luck in getting it sorted :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

splke
40 minutes ago, Nacho1991 said:

Hello, folks.

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this, sorry if it's not the case.

I've recently bought a GMT Master II PEPSI with an ASIAN 3186 CHS from BP Factory. This watch was for a friend so I only checked once received and everything looked fine, smooth movement, nice adjustment, independent GMT working...

After one week my friend has told me that the watch stops EVERY NIGHT at 23.00. I adjusted the GMT hand to be "in line" with the other hands, thus meaning that, i.e., at 6.00 PM, GMT hand will be at 18 mark.

I don't know if this may be a huge failure or, maybe, it's been caused by hands misallignement. At 23:00, more or less, the four hands tend to overlap, so a bad hands allignement may cause the seconds hand to stop if they are in contact (I'm just guessing)

My friend is living in another country, so I cannot check the watch again.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I've placed the same question to the TD I've acquired it from, but it's a hard time to get any response from Chinese Sellers.

if you advance the hands manually does the date start setting at 11 ? 

Nacho1991
3 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Hmmmm, a tricky one. There's literally nothing I can usefully add.

But I'm not going to let that stop me!!!!

If the watch runs well the rest of the time, perhaps you can just suggest to your friend that he goes to bed at 11pm each night, thus not needing to know the time thereafter, until he sets it again each morning?

Hope this helps.

I do wish you genuine luck in getting it sorted :thumbsup2:

I don't think he will accept that :D

If we talked about a cheap 21J or similar, maybe, but not with this kind of watch actually.

It's tricky AF, I almost prefer the watch being DOA so I don't need to figure anything else:frusty:

2 hours ago, splke said:

if you advance the hands manually does the date start setting at 11 ? 

I don't remember it now, I think it started later. What would happen if it starts at 11?

splke

if it is always the same time and it coincides with the date change it sort of adds up to the usual problems with this movement. it is a unstable bloody thing and it seems not to like quick date changes ... mine always ran but used to skip hour changes regularly, but it started with a date change irregularity

Rx4Time

my initial guess would be the hands are touching at the 2300 time.  If you're feeling a little adventuresome you can try decasing the movement and see if it runs fine out of the case.  If so then problem solved, also you can line it up at the point where it stops and see if it looks like any of the hands are touching

Rx4Time

Although I personally think that Ginger's idea is a much easier fix.   as long as your friend goes to bed before 11:00 p.m. then everything is fine.    :rofl:

Dr Fun Socks

If its the modified 2836 movement, i spent a while working on one of these with kj2020. The long and short of it is its the intermediate date wheel gets pushed up and out by the force of the date wheel changing. There isnt an easy fix, either sack the movement of, stick an ichs 2813 gmt with new hands (old ones wont fit) or buy a whole new watch. Sorry its not better news. 

Nacho1991
15 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

my initial guess would be the hands are touching at the 2300 time.  If you're feeling a little adventuresome you can try decasing the movement and see if it runs fine out of the case.  If so then problem solved, also you can line it up at the point where it stops and see if it looks like any of the hands are touching

If adjusting the GMT to another position changes something, then the problema might be there. I really hope that is the problema.

12 hours ago, Dr Fun Socks said:

If its the modified 2836 movement, i spent a while working on one of these with kj2020. The long and short of it is its the intermediate date wheel gets pushed up and out by the force of the date wheel changing. There isnt an easy fix, either sack the movement of, stick an ichs 2813 gmt with new hands (old ones wont fit) or buy a whole new watch. Sorry its not better news. 

That souns like a pain in the a$$, as well as kinda expensive for a new watch.

I cannot specify which was original movement prior to being modded, but the best solution seems looks like replacing everything with an ASIAN 2836 and hands (if this is the actual problem).

Thanks for the insight!

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Nacho1991 said:

I cannot specify which was original movement prior to being modded, but the best solution seems looks like replacing everything with an ASIAN 2836 and hands (if this is the actual problem).

Uhm, not with an A2836: the A2836 is a day/date movement:

61ZfKZRn8IL._UX342_.jpg

You may need a Hangzhou 6460 (which is based on the 2836 but it has few modified parts to make it a GMT movement):

s-l300.jpg

Which is this one:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/163974038118

But you may need to check if the height of the 2 movements are the same: I don't know which kind of mods they have done to the 2836 in your watch to make the CHS: if they added a spacer to allow the extra gears to fit under the dial then you have a problem.

By the way, all these issues could have easily been avoided with just a few researches about those CHS movements :(  I just hope that the new 3186 clone works better (to me both the SA3186 and SH3186, respectively in VRF and ARF) look exactly the same...

Nacho1991
On 28/01/2020 at 10:28, GenTLe said:

Uhm, not with an A2836: the A2836 is a day/date movement:

61ZfKZRn8IL._UX342_.jpg

You may need a Hangzhou 6460 (which is based on the 2836 but it has few modified parts to make it a GMT movement):

s-l300.jpg

Which is this one:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/163974038118

But you may need to check if the height of the 2 movements are the same: I don't know which kind of mods they have done to the 2836 in your watch to make the CHS: if they added a spacer to allow the extra gears to fit under the dial then you have a problem.

By the way, all these issues could have easily been avoided with just a few researches about those CHS movements :(  I just hope that the new 3186 clone works better (to me both the SA3186 and SH3186, respectively in VRF and ARF) look exactly the same...

My bad:choke:

BTW, I asked my friend to change the GMT position aaaaaaaand….nothing happens.

I've asked him for a video so I will send it to the seller in order to get an answer.

Dr Fun Socks
On 29/01/2020 at 16:28, Nacho1991 said:

My bad:choke:

BTW, I asked my friend to change the GMT position aaaaaaaand….nothing happens.

I've asked him for a video so I will send it to the seller in order to get an answer.

The gmt spring has snapped. Not a lot you can do. Ive tried. A lot. If you can send it back, might be the best option but returning things to china is pretty risky. 

Heres a thread about it if your interested 

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/304335-why-the-chs-gmt-movements-are-failing