submarinerblue

Help! Can’t Remove Screws on Omega Bracelet

submarinerblue

I just received my Seamaster 300 2018.  Watch looks great.  But, I cannot loosen the screws on the bracelet. Each link has a tiny screw on each side with a pin between them. You have to remove both of the tiny screws to extract the pin and remove the link. I succeeded in removing links from one side, but all the screws on the links  on the other side are immovable.  I finally got one screw off, but the others just won’t budge. I’m afraid of stripping to screws if I keep trying. Then I’d really be screwed. Already partially stripped a couple. 

Any suggestions other than taking it to a jeweler? I could drill out the screws , but I’d have no way to replace them.967-F9-F5-A-2180-46-E2-A22-C-AE8109582-E

John45

Heat the link in question to expand it a bit.  Use a good, correctly sized jewelers screwdriver, you're mangling the heads.

Good luck.

Edited by John45

submarinerblue

I am using a jewelers screwdriver. How should I heat the link? I tried holding it under hot water. Didn’t work.

FunnyStarSystem

I had this same problem on a SD4000 and practically lost my mind trying to get it solved. I eventually found that using WD40 and another, higher grade lubricant/penetrating oil available at any hardware store did the trick - along with a good jewelers screwdriver and loads of force.

The key is to not strip the heads, so don't get back at it until you pick up the necessary supplies or you may never get it out!

https://www.liveabout.com/pb-blaster-vs-all-the-other-penetrants-281826

submarinerblue

I’ll hit Home Depot tomorrow and get some of that stuff. Many thanks. 

Just checked. I have both WD-40 and a couple of different silicone lubricants in the garage. 
Is it better to let it soak in for a couple of hours or not necessary?

Edited by submarinerblue

Rx4Time

You need properly sized screwdriver otherwise you'll strip the heads which has already begun.   Soak it in WD 40 then try again. If no success try heating it to expand the metal.   You also might be able to wiggle the bracelet links and let gravity pull it out. 

FunnyStarSystem

Penetrating oil does just that, so the more time you give it, the more it will find those little cavities. It won't hurt the steel even a bit to just leave it soaking over night.

submarinerblue

What  do I heat it with? I can try a hair dryer? But, if the link expands won’t the screw also expand?

Bimmers

Remove bracelet from case, put in a oil for a night and try whit right screwdiver! You will have the screw out easily ;-)

fatarms

Im going to second the use of PB Blaster.  It's actually made in my hometown.   I've used it for various corroded bolts and nuts and it works every time, my father had been using it for years when I was a kid and told me about it as I got older.   They have some humorous billboards around town that have the quote "don't bust your knuckles, bust your nuts." Not sure how they got that one to fly for public consumption along the highways, but made me laugh. 

• Like 1

submarinerblue

I just sprayed it with wd-40. Will let it soak in overnight.  If that doesn’t do it I’ll try the PB Blaster.

Edited by submarinerblue

BadApple

If I remember right you only need to take one side out and the link pins are plain unthreaded and tapping gets them out. If one side won’t budge does the other side come out??

narikaa

The two things most overlook in these scenarios

Is as mentioned, a correctly fitting screwdriver tip (width, slot size & angles of walls) if it actually fits you shouldn't be able to gnarl screw slots

And a body cylinder size allowing a bit more manual grip/torque than 'garden variety' jewellers screwdrivers

BravoDelta
3 hours ago, fatarms said:

It's actually made in my hometown.

A fellow Clevelander eh? :Thinking:

GingerApple
3 hours ago, BadApple said:

If I remember right you only need to take one side out and the link pins are plain unthreaded and tapping gets them out. If one side won’t budge does the other side come out??

They are unthreaded, but I couldn't get mine out just by tapping and wiggling- I tried for ages, the little buggers just wouldn't come out. Maybe a strong magnet would help 'suck' them out?

BravoDelta

This isn't a good design imo. I had to remove both sides on mine and poke the little rod out. Then, fumbling with those tiny screws (¬_¬) Swap it out for one of the nice rubber straps with a deployant clasp :thumbsup2:

NCRich
6 hours ago, submarinerblue said:

What  do I heat it with? I can try a hair dryer? But, if the link expands won’t the screw also expand?

I use a lighter or the gas flame on my stove.  One of those long candle lighting lighters works easiest. 

Heat works.  I also have very good screwdrivers and PB blaster.

fatarms
9 hours ago, BravoDelta said:

A fellow Clevelander eh? :Thinking:

Yep, bout ten miles due south of the lake. 

BravoDelta
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

Yep, bout ten miles due south of the lake. 

Hmmmm :Thinking:. Me too. 

• Like 1

GingerApple
2 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

Hmmmm :Thinking:. Me too. 

You're neighbours! Sweet! Beer o'clock! Watch themed BBQs!!!! Best buds forever!!!!!!!!!!

fatarms
Just now, TheGingerFerret said:

You're neighbours! Sweet! Beer o'clock! Watch themed BBQs!!!! Best buds forever!!!!!!!!!!

I BBQ plenty in the summer.  I have to.  I married a girl from Texas and that's the only food group down there :lol:

• Like 2

BravoDelta
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I know!...what are the odds! :bbq:

tribefan
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

I BBQ plenty in the summer.  I have to.  I married a girl from Texas and that's the only food group down there :lol:

I married one of those too. I'm sure there is a pretty interesting story that convinced her to move here. :)

thomaspek

I had to take them to a professional. Too hard