Nexus9

Genuine Swiss ETA?

Nexus9

Hi guys;

I hope this is the correct place to post this, I'm open to corrections if I have erred.

I'd like to sell a watch here on the forum that I have owned for more than 20 years - it was actually one of the first reps I ever purchased, long before I was aware of forums or trusted dealers.  As I recall (somewhere back there in that murky mess I call a memory...) this watch was advertised as having a genuine Swiss ETA movement and was around $500 in the 1990s.  But like I said, with my lack of experience, and no TDs, I could've received anything and not known the difference.

So my concern is that I want to make an honest sale, but I'm not sure about the movement:

nJRDk.jpg

nJvKs.jpg

nJEsD.jpg

nJ79Y.jpg

Can someone here with more experience than me tell me if this is indeed a genuine Swiss ETA?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Del
Not eligible to sell so don’t post tagged pics!

RussP

Lovely watch.

You should list this in the M2M section if you are eligible to sell.

I'm no movement expert, so will leave it for the more experienced to comment upon.

Nexus9

Thank you, and yes, I want to be sure that whoever buys this is getting what they expect, PLUS, I would think a genuine Swiss ETA would have a lot more value than a clone these days, when Swiss ETAs are hard to come by. 

FunnyStar, thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for.

• Like 1

tribefan
5 minutes ago, Nexus9 said:

Thank you, and yes, I want to be sure that whoever buys this is getting what they expect, PLUS, I would think a genuine Swiss ETA would have a lot more value than a clone these days, when Swiss ETAs are hard to come by. 

FunnyStar, thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm going with gen, but I'm no expert, and the value increase is like $100. More value from servicing a movement than clone or swiss, imho.

Nexus9

Oh, crap... based on the info in the link , this is a genuine Swiss ETA.  Non-reflective gears, deep furrows, clear stampings.  Maybe that's why it's still running and keeping time 25 years later.  (!)

fatarms

This looks gen to me.  The DMOON is a little weird though...

FunnyStarSystem

I would trust these other guys over myself, so congratulations, you got yourself an ETA! :D

Plus it's probably easier to see the stampings in person.

BadApple

Shame you are not eligible to sell on here. For a small fee you could become a VIP member by contacting @trailboss99 

Nexus9

Ha ha...  I can fix that...

So what watch is in the VIP signup lottery these days...?    :dingleberry-nemesis:

Or are we still doing that?

BadApple
4 hours ago, Nexus9 said:

Ha ha...  I can fix that...

So what watch is in the VIP signup lottery these days...?    :dingleberry-nemesis:

Or are we still doing that?

It's a 25 year old Datejust with genuine Swiss ETA movement !!!

HorFan

Definitely gen Swiss.

paccbet

That looks pretty good for a rep from the 90s

GenTLe

Gen, but considering the status of the dial, its value is given basically from the movement only.

deju
16 hours ago, fatarms said:

This looks gen to me.  The DMOON is a little weird though...

The DM00/1 is rather weird, 

Seagull 2146 have DM on their clones. 

might be a mix of some swiss but main plate looks clone 

6zVpk.jpg

Look how much cleaner the engravings are on mine. 

FudgyDocker

Looks gen to me, but you aren't eligible to sell yet, unfortunately.

FunnyStarSystem
12 minutes ago, deju said:

6zVpk.jpg

The ETA stamp really has me wondering about the plate as well, but that could just be the photo.

fatarms
2 hours ago, deju said:

6zVpk.jpg

That's why I pointed that out.  It almost looks like it was done with a small dremel tool or something like that, looks sloppy.  You may be right, especially in the time frame this watch was supposedly from.  Could be a bunch of salvaged swiss parts cobbled together on a replacement plate.  The rest of it looks pretty legit though, especially if it is from 20-25 years ago.

deju
24 minutes ago, fatarms said:

That's why I pointed that out.  It almost looks like it was done with a small dremel tool or something like that, looks sloppy.  You may be right, especially in the time frame this watch was supposedly from.  Could be a bunch of salvaged swiss parts cobbled together on a replacement plate.  The rest of it looks pretty legit though, especially if it is from 20-25 years ago.

Yeah the code to the left of the 2836-2 should be the ETA batch number, etched at the same time as the rest. 

There are a few clones with eta model and logo stamps but no batch numbers. 

which would be the likely reasoning to someone doing it by hand as DM00/1. 

It does look to have swiss parts though, so I would assume a cheeky clone/Swiss hybrid 

Nexus9
10 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Gen, but considering the status of the dial, its value is given basically from the movement only.

Yeah, the bezel and case have some marks as well, so I need to be realistic about its value.  I do have another (silver) dial that will be included. 

Well, let's put it out there and see what the market will bear!  Thank you to all that contributed to my continuing horological education.  :christmas1:

• Like 1

Del
4 hours ago, Nexus9 said:

Yeah, the bezel and case have some marks as well, so I need to be realistic about its value.  I do have another (silver) dial that will be included. 

Well, let's put it out there and see what the market will bear!  Thank you to all that contributed to my continuing horological education.  :christmas1:

You are not eligible to sell here so do not list this for sale.

Nexus9
6 hours ago, Del said:

You are not eligible to sell here so do not list this for sale.

Thank you, Del - as I already said, I can fix that.  Made my VIP payment for another year today. 

Del
1 hour ago, Nexus9 said:

Thank you, Del - as I already said, I can fix that.  Made my VIP payment for another year today. 

Top man. :thumbsup2:

Nexus9

Nah...  I just want to win the watch. (!)  :Applause:

NFleischer

The jewel holder has 3 cut outs, sign of Gen. Finish and stamping look good also. ETA stamp looks a bit iffy.

Back then not hard to get Gen ETA's in reps, oldest I have is about 13-14 years however.