Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Not quite so probable next purchase

greg_r

I know I said I wanted a Glashutte Senator Sixties next, but having thought about it some more I have this nasty feeling that I'd rarely wear it. There is, however, another watch I am seriously eager to pick up - a Rolex/Panerai 6154. I've been wanting another 47mm PAM for a while to wear as a change from my Fiddy, I don't yet have a Radiomir and I just love the vintage look of this one:

Rep:

6154jpc.jpg

Gen:

6154.jpg

There are, apparently, only 6 gens in existence and the last one sold for a cool quarter million dollars.

I much prefer Josh's price: $98 + shipping :lol:

It runs the standard Asian 6497 and has a closed caseback. I remember Clive posted about buying one of these a year or so back and was very happy with it, so I think I'll be taking the plunge sometime in the next couple of weeks.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I see that DSN also does a version of this watch. Much higher quality and much more accurate to the gen - but also much more expensive...

DSCF3398.jpg

The question is whether I like this model enough to buy a high-end rep of it... Gonna hafta give it some thought.

KinCaidk

It's a nice watch.

To me there's is just to many obvious flaws.

Wrong font

wrong crown

very wrong hands :lol:

and the dial looks more grainy on the gen.

Maybe I am no anal, and with only 6 gens around. Then I doubt that anyone would know the difference as you don't see it every day.

just my 5 cents.

greg_r
It's a nice watch.

To me there's is just to many obvious flaws.

Wrong font

wrong crown

very wrong hands :lol:

and the dial looks more grainy on the gen.

Maybe I am no anal, and with only 6 gens around. Then I doubt that anyone would know the difference as you don't see it every day.

just my 5 cents.

The gen dial does look grainy, but another photo I've seen elsewhere looked much smoother, so who knows. There may have been considerable sample variation (not uncommon for Panerais of that vintage) or there may have been some corrosion and re-finishing involved. FWIW the stick markers are a little too large, too :Jumpy:

Frankly, I'm not that anal. :popcorn: If it was a current model, I would care more, but my feeling is that it captures the general 'look' of the original reasonably well - certainly nobody but a WIS would even know what it is anyhow. I still rather like the look of the rep - even with its flaws :lol:

oscarmadfish

not for me thanx

greg_r
not for me thanx

No, not for you. It's for me. You can't have any!!!!! B)

:thumbsup:

KinCaidk
not for me thanx

Surprise surprise :thumbsup:

mtt.tr

i would rather a nice pan.

KinCaidk

The DSN looks much better. I would never buy it though, as I know I will get called out on it :thumbsup:

How much is the DSN?

greg_r
The DSN looks much better. I would never buy it though, as I know I will get called out on it :thumbsup:

How much is the DSN?

Don't know current price as I've not asked him - going to be $350 or more for sure. Rats. That's the one I want....

Mebbe I'd better think again - wasn't planning to spend that kinda dough - except maybe on an 'Ultimate' Fiddy at some point...

not for me thanx

Surprise surprise B)

He's just pouting because there isn't a decent rep of his favourite Hublot Nancy Boys watch B)

greg_r
i would rather a nice pan.

I assume you mean a 'nice Panerai'? This IS a nice Panerai. :thumbsup:

mtt.tr

i mean i plane panerai with out rolex on it as all the panerais i have seen all look like good copys

trailboss99

I don't mind the cheapie at the price point. If I were specificly after a rep of the gen I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole tho :thumbsup:

As a fantasy piece tho it's oke. The strap would have to go tho. OMG what a nasty piece of work. A decent strap would lift the piece quite a bit.

If you are realy hankering after the gen tho I'd go the DVN as the cheapie doesn't capture the spirit of the gen at all with those wire lugs.

Interesting gen. Very sparse dial for any brand let alone Rolex. First tiome I'v seen it and it's totaly different to any Rolex I'v ever seen. I asume it's 50s or earlyier?

Col.

KinCaidk

Didn't even notice those wire lugs... that's a no go Greg :thumbsup:

greg_r
I don't mind the cheapie at the price point. If I were specificly after a rep of the gen I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole tho :thumbsup:

As a fantasy piece tho it's oke. The strap would have to go tho. OMG what a nasty piece of work. A decent strap would lift the piece quite a bit.

If you are realy hankering after the gen tho I'd go the DVN as the cheapie doesn't capture the spirit of the gen at all with those wire lugs.

Interesting gen. Very sparse dial for any brand let alone Rolex. First tiome I'v seen it and it's totaly different to any Rolex I'v ever seen. I asume it's 50s or earlyier?

Col.

Well, it's not really a Rolex per se. It's a Panerai 6154 with Rolex dial. As I understand it there are several versions of this watch around - most with Panerai dials. Apparently, the Rolex dial version came about when the partnership between Panerai and Rolex ended and Rolex was left with a surplus of 6154 cases (Rolex originally supplied the cases and movements for the early Panerai watches, Panerai just made the dials). They installed their own dials and cleared them out under the Rolex brand.

The wire lugs were standard on several Panerai watches of the period (as well as later Radiomirs) - bummer that it wasn't on this particular version, though. TBH, I'm so used to seeing those wire lugs on other vintage PAMs, I didn't notice the error at first - at least not until I looked at the gen again. Bummer...

I'm not too bothered about most of the inaccuracies per se and wouldn't quite call it a 'fantasy' piece, but a couple of the flaws are certainly giving me pause for thought. I might still go for it, but the DSN version looks soooo much nicer. I really don't want to spend $300+ on a rep right at the moment, though, so maybe this is yet another plan I'm gonna shelve for now B)

Thanks for the thoughts, guys...

trailboss99

Ya, the next purchase is allways a bing question isn't it?

For me the next couple are gunna be this sorta Patak (I know it's not quite right).

PP10014PerpetualCalenderRGWhite.jpg

Tho prob not from that dealer or, more likely a Discovery. Problem here is I can't decide wether to go for the white or black dial. What do you guys reckon?

ebel_discovery.jpg

8-1.jpg

Col.

greg_r

Love the Ebel - sheer class. For me it'd be the white dial, but then I'm a sucker for white dials... :thumbsup:

greg_r

The other possibility that occurs to me is to sell some of the watches I never wear any more - that might well let me afford the DSN.... hmmm.....

*psst* anybody wanna buy a watch?

:thumbsup:

trailboss99

Ya, I love the white (actualy ivory) dial but the black has begun calling. This is one of the rare times I think I'd like both versions.

Col.

Luthier

Buy better one. Cheapie is cheapie.

And... who is DSN? Link?

KinCaidk

DSN is Davidsen. he is on both RG and RWI under trusted dealers.

He is quite expensive, but his reps is supposed to be some of the most accurate ones.

TB> I LIKE THAT WHITE EBEL!

sconehead

@Col, I've got the white 'Panda' dial Ebel, it's the best out of the box rep I now own (better than a BCE, SFSO, UPO etc.)

You won't go wrong with this watch, I've had several comments about it when I've worn it. If there's one thing about the white versus black dial to consider, it is that the light coloured hands aren't as clear to see on the white dial, it's fine for me but maybe something others might need to consider, the Discovery is a true 'superep', everyone should own one IMO. Trust me on this, you too Greg, you have too many Pams, try a change for once... :thumbsup:

greg_r

Too many PAMS? No such thing! :thumbsup:

sconehead

We recently voted upon whether you have too many Pams, in your absence, it was unanimous and under rule 26. paragraph 32.b it was ruled that 'Gregs next rep should be an Ebel' ...so there...it's official...

KinCaidk

I voted that Greg's next watch should be my lovely GOER :thumbsup: special price for you my friend.

greg_r
I voted that Greg's next watch should be my lovely GOER :thumbsup: special price for you my friend.

Haha - only just got it and selling already? B)