Sign in to follow this  
Caliper

So far, the A7750 is...

Caliper

Ok, so far after a lot of searching and reading on the forum (great forum guys), here are my conclusion on the A7750. But got few question I haven't found so far.

1. It's mechanically the same as the ETA 7750 but with shoddy assembly.

2. It's no longer as fragile as before.

3. The running second @ 6 has been improved a lot but still fragile.

--- 3.a The extra gears used for this may make the watch case width bigger.

4. Most parts are interchangeable with the ETA.

5. It's recommended to not use the chronograph repeatedly.

6. According to certain models and gear position, the date wheel will look deeper than the gen.

7. More careful attention on DW adjustment and chrono' reset most be taken similar to the ETA recommendations.

8. Failures occurs by loose small metal pieces clogging the gears, little or excess oil used and the failure will occur in the first week. If not it will last about 1-2 years before servicing.

9. Servicing is a must when the watch is received because you never know.

10. If serviced properly will function exactly as an ETA and the sweeping motion will be almost identical to the ETA and this will only be noticed by a very keen eyed horologist or watch enthusiast.

Correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this and if I missed something.

Ok, here are my question:

A lot of this info are from threads posted in 2008-2009. Have the assembly standards improved now in 2011? Where is the Ziggmaister I keep reading about? Why are reps not water resistant?

Where could I get an ETA 7750 Valjoux (movement only, not watch) and how much does it cost? Is it difficult to acquire all the tools needed to perhaps learn and do my own watch service? Are there books on watch assembly/repair/DIY?

I'm a very curious being and I like to learn a lot of how things work and I love fixing things, so the nature of all this questions.

I'm also very stoke cause I've order myself two watches and can't wait to get them.

Luthier

This is half on my collection. Count, how many with A7750. Not even one failed, and ALL of them has constantly running big seconds hands.

Most of them are 2-3 years old. Not even one has a problem. Where to buy Swiss Valjoux 7750? Plenty on ebay, prices vary - $360-$450.

Ziggymeister is a watchsmith from another forum. Actually it's Ziggy Zumba. And he works exclusively for old members, if at all.

CopyofP1010102.jpg

CopyofP1010100.jpg

seclark007

Come on George, with that picture show, you're just braggin'! Nice collection, Brother!

surfer2278

"Where could I get an ETA 7750 Valjoux (movement only, not watch) and how much does it cost?"

Eta movements can be acquired through Ofrei.com, CousinsUK.com or on ebay As Luthier stated, they are priced at aprox $360.00 and go up from there, depending on the finish and retailer. As far as I know there are three different finishes: Elaboré, Top and Chronomètre.

"Is it difficult to acquire all the tools needed to perhaps learn and do my own watch service?"

There is an excellent assortment of watch tools available right here at the RWG shop.

Someone more informed will point out any inaccuracies and will be able to help you on training books and videos.

NFleischer

I see you did your homework- A+

I don't want to be a naysayer,but unless you devote alot of time and energy into watchmaking,

I don't see how you're going to become an expert on a mechanical chrono mov't. I think they're pretty complicated.

Luthier has been very lucky, many rep chronos will fail after 2 years of constant running of the chrono mechanism

KBH

Ziggy has officially changed his name to Zeigmeister now. He's found mostly on RWGjr and as Luthier said he's pretty well booked up by his established older customers.

Many reps are water resistant. It's always a good idea to have them checked first, though.

If you're planning on learning to service movements, don't start on chrono movements. Many professionals aren't capable of repairing them. Start on a hand wind and then move up to an ETA/clone automatic. Nobody services the basic 21j movements since they are so cheap.

Sunken date wheels have to do with modules that are installed on the top over 7750 movements. Generally to change the placement of the small chrono functions, such as changing a 7750 to an equivalent 7753. Asian 7753's have not been available until just lately and they are still more expensive than A7750 movements.

Eta 7750 movements are not a direct swap for the new hi-beat Asian 7750s because the hand sizes are different. But,they are interchangeable with the lo-beat. The early lo-beat were the most trouble prone a few years ago.

Caliper

alright! thanks a lot.

Luthier, you're just showing off now! haha, great collection.

I doubt I'll become an expert on watch fixing, but at least I would like to be able to do my own service. After all the fixer upper in the "Watch, Repair & Upgrade forum" section you can't help but feel inspired.

I'll check the RWG shop; always forget this is more than just a forum to look at boobies...urrr...watches :thumbsup:

David543

I think there is a mistaken assumption about watch vph, 'ticks'. The Swiss 7750 and Valjoul have the same number of ticks per second so will be identical to the gen. Watches pretty much all beat at 21,600 or 28,800 vph (6 or 8 ticks per second). Movements all do this if they are working. No difference between movements. For example the proprietary Rolex movement in a sub is 28,800vph. Eta or clone of it 28,800. Not 28,989 or anything else. 21j is 6 ticks, 21,600vph. No one, from the sweep alone could tell one 28,800 tick from another as they are identical.

My Valjoul 7550 has wooed flawlessly for 5yrs and keeps perfect time. And I hand wind it. I'm just careful not to overwind it.

Hope this helps Caliper :thumbsup:

Caliper

Indeed it does. Thanks!

myaz
I think there is a mistaken assumption about watch vph, 'ticks'. The Swiss 7750 and Valjoul have the same number of ticks per second so will be identical to the gen. Watches pretty much all beat at 21,600 or 28,800 vph (6 or 8 ticks per second). Movements all do this if they are working. No difference between movements. For example the proprietary Rolex movement in a sub is 28,800vph. Eta or clone of it 28,800. Not 28,989 or anything else. 21j is 6 ticks, 21,600vph. No one, from the sweep alone could tell one 28,800 tick from another as they are identical.

My Valjoul 7550 has wooed flawlessly for 5yrs and keeps perfect time. And I hand wind it. I'm just careful not to overwind it.

Hope this helps Caliper ;)

I should know this but please clarify,

A 7550 is a chrono but doesn't necessarily have all the subdials, right?

Has yours worked well for 5 years because it is unencumbered by subdials which add strain to the movement?

Luthier

Subdials on the dial, not on mov't.

KeNnY
Count, how many with A7750. Not even one failed, and ALL of them has constantly running big second hand

WHY ??? :)

David543

Hope this helps Caliper :)

I should know this but please clarify,

A 7550 is a chrono but doesn't necessarily have all the subdials, right?

Has yours worked well for 5 years because it is unencumbered by subdials which add strain to the movement?

Hi there Myaz

The Valjoul 7750 I have is in a Hublot Big Bang. The watch is a Chrono and the movement is a Chrono so the watch works exactly like the gen in every way. The Chrono on mine works perfectly.

The movement was designed to be a Chrono with the seconds sweep at 9. The movement has a reputation for being delicate but it is supposed to operate like this so is not under any unusual strain.

In the Rolex Daytona rep, ANY 7750 will have an asian produced adaptation to move the seconds to 6. This has been done badly and screwed the movement by adding too much strain. Robert believes this has now been mitigated on his new version

Mine has worked for 5yrs probably because I am lucky! I think some others, like poor Kenny, have been less lucky :blink: unless he has been going 'hulk' on them all :sh_h:

KeNnY
Mine has worked for 5yrs probably because I am lucky! I think some others, like poor Kenny, have been less lucky :blink: unless he has been going 'hulk' on them all :sh_h:

?? I didn't have an 7750 yet, Waiting to buy PAM253 ! 7750 and sec@9 :)

mulder

Luth, second photo Ill take the IWC's the Breitlings and the Chopards please. sweet!!

David543

?? I didn't have an 7750 yet, Waiting to buy PAM253 ! 7750 and sec@9 :)

Sorry Kenny! I thought your sad smiley was because yours had gone wrong, not that you didn't have any yet.

:rofl: I'm a dork!

SB56667
This is half on my collection. ...

:Shocked::)

offshore

Gee, there is a lot of love here for the A7750!

Enter one detractor.

Short of some of the Russian junk from the 80's, the A7750 has caused more repair problems than any other movement. These problems relate to the fact that NO spare parts are available for them, and they have a couple of inherit weaknesses..not the least the reversing wheel, which strips as and when it decides.

If we look at the 21J Chinese movements, with a replacement cost at around $25 > means spares aren't an issue. When the distributors start talking +$200 for a replacement (A7750)..there needs to be some parts out there, to fix the broken flock!

It is so bad, that as soon as a customer mentions "Chinese Chrono", a big steel door shoots up to block the question!

O/S

Wirral_guy

Is the 7750 still being made? If so, surely someone out there knows where, and by whom. I would have thought it wouldn't be too difficult to get the factory to release spares to the community, especially as it is a quite expensive movement.

.....or am I missing something??? :)

Dave

offshore

Dave,

The Chinese don't "Do spare parts"

Its part of their make up.

Build it cheap enough, and just replace it!

Sometimes there is an anomaly...like the A7750!

O/S

KBH

Most of the people that do movement repairs on the forums collect up broken movements to scavenge for spare parts.

Luthier
Count, how many with A7750. Not even one failed, and ALL of them has constantly running big second hand

WHY ??? :facepalm:

Because I'm sick and tired to hear "Hey, dude, your watch is dead!"

:P

Caliper

haha! that happens to me from time to time.

I just showed them the seconds subdial closely and explain to them how a chronograph works. they just go... "uhh....nice watch"

KeNnY
Because I'm sick and tired to hear "Hey, dude, your watch is dead!"

:P

now when you mention it, you are right ! When I had Big Black Parnis, everyone was saying, that my watch has stopped, why the second hand doesn't go... noobs :facepalm:

PeterWorcester
This is half on my collection. Count, how many with A7750. Not even one failed, and ALL of them has constantly running big seconds hands.

Most of them are 2-3 years old. Not even one has a problem. Where to buy Swiss Valjoux 7750? Plenty on ebay, prices vary - $360-$450.

Ziggymeister is a watchsmith from another forum. Actually it's Ziggy Zumba. And he works exclusively for old members, if at all.

CopyofP1010102.jpg

CopyofP1010100.jpg

OMG Luthier !!!

Now that's a watch collection I REALLY envy. Can I ask you what model Brietling is that,top box picture, top row 4th watch from the left ?

It looks like a blackbird chrono, at least by the band. I've been looking for that watch for ever and I can't find one with that smaller link bracelet. What model is it and where did you get it ?

Thx,

Peter