mr3radley

A Pleasant Surprise

mr3radley

Hi all, 

A short little story. Got chatting about watches with a friend at work as he'd just purchased a new smart watch. Not quite sure how it moved onto it but he mentioned he owned a rolex his dad gave him, guessed at it being an Oyster Cosmograph and showed me a rather blury image. Told me it had been sat buried in the bottom of his bedside draw, unworn for years! 

I don't think he expected or believed me when I told him that thing was worth probably £100k (slight over estimate), so spent the rest of the night trying to find another for sale to prove it. As I'm sure most of you know it's a 1972 6263 Oyster Cosmograph Daytona. The original box, papers and bracelet are long gone. 

A few dealers valued it between £50-60k. It's safe to say he's now trying to get it insured and is looking to purchase a safe to keep it in. 

IMG-20200427-122444.jpg

• Like 1

sharkman07

Wow! There was one in the US recently. A lot of people forget that these were unloved in the late 60's/70s. Not sure why really, maybe because they were manual wind. Has to be one of the prettiest watches ever made in my view.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GingerApple

Cool! I hope he threw a few beers your way! And let you try it on for a few wristies.... Which you're about to share with the forum.....