letti001

Omega PO with stripped crown

letti001

Greetings,

I have an Omega Planet Ocean which works just great and looks just as good. I have been very happy with it.

The crown will not screw down. It works just fine but the threads are stripped.

I took it to a local watch repair shop today and was told that it would need a new crown stem and tube. The tube seemed to be threaded on the inside rather than the outside.

He could find parts but the crown would be a generic crown.

Ant thoughts? It is likely not worth repairing as I could buy a new one for the cost of repair. Although it seems a shame since other than the stripped crown it works just fine. 

I am inclined just to live with it the way that it is and not worry about it.

Thank you in advance.

NCRich

Sucks but it happens a lot, even on gens.  There is a trick that works sometimes.  Take a needle nose plier and squeeze the tube gently but firmly, then rotate 90 degrees and do it again.  Might just squeeze in enough to grab on the threads again.  I've got one that has held out for a couple years with that trick.

• Like 3

Bill_C

That's some ninja level stuff right there Rich. Never thought of that. Will need to remember that for the future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

letti001
4 hours ago, NCRich said:

Sucks but it happens a lot, even on gens.  There is a trick that works sometimes.  Take a needle nose plier and squeeze the tube gently but firmly, then rotate 90 degrees and do it again.  Might just squeeze in enough to grab on the threads again.  I've got one that has held out for a couple years with that trick.

I am glad I posted this as the recommendation is very nice. I have some surgical instruments (from my neighbor) that I use for computer work so I have a nice needle driver that I can use for the "pinch".  I do not think there is much to lose.

As I said, otherwise the watch is great. 

Thank you so much!

Jibuti
6 hours ago, NCRich said:

NCMcGyver... 

SteveA

I had this with my PO Rolie sorted it for me with new tube etc.

letti001
3 hours ago, SteveA said:

I had this with my PO Rolie sorted it for me with new tube etc.

Sounds like a good idea. I may be a bit too far from a shipping standpoint.

Edited by letti001
changed my answer

letti001

I trying the crimping. No luck. Just living with the crown sticking out a bit. The watch itself looks great and works very well.