Mr_B

Black Bay Bezel Repair

Mr_B

Looking to fix my BB bezel

Mr_B

If anyone knows of where I can source any parts that are compatible :clouseaul:

GenTLe
2 hours ago, Mr_B said:

Looking for a replacement spring/wire for a black bay bezel. 

Which BB, the normal 41mm? I don't remember how it work that one, is it like this? Are you searching for the flat ring, for the 3 springs below it (not visible in the picture), or for the spring and the "click" top visible in at 2 in the picture?

VZSYh2.jpg

Mr_B

Xqywv.jpg

Not 100% but I think it is the flat one @GenTLe

GenTLe

Ok, now I remember

So, that small hole between 4 and 5 on the ring is where there should be a bit with a protruding "tooth", in the picture below it's the biggest one, only the tooth sticks out from the rectancular hole of the ring, the rest is below, and works to made the bezel to rotate in one way only. Then there should be other 3 springs (with no end balls, this belowis a picture of the submariner parts) again hidden below the ring.

9ooOrpg.jpg

It seems your ring is rotated few mm counterclockwise.

Take the ring out carefully: 1st because there should be other 3 springs below it and 2nd because that ring may have 2 parts that fits in the case to avoid it to rotate, like this seiko here below at 3 and 9 (this picture is like if the watch was face-down):

8133_2049__53602.1558561958.JPG?c=2

Check that you have the 3 springs below the ring and the 4th spring + "toothed cilinder". If you have them all, then you're not missing anything and it's just a matter of correct installation.

• Like 1

Mr_B

Il get onto it now, thanks mate

Mr_B

Looks like I'm.missing two springs and I have the toothed part @GenTLe

XOLWP.jpg

Also I I'm unsure of the bezel itself should have a retaining wire inside but it hasn't and the bezel won't stay on

Mr_B

XOlk5.jpg

Think I'm going to take a punt on an Omega 300 spring from Cousins, can't find the mini springs on their website though

GenTLe

YOu don't need the omega wire spring, it has nothing to do with this bezel, you just need 2 springs :) The bezel is press-fit.

The springs are here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4GSZE/ or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap-0-3mmx2mmx15mm-Stainless-Compression-Springs/dp/B076LZ7XHR/ or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-Diameter-Stainless-Extended-Compressed/dp/B07MDVV3C5 (you need to check the diameter of yours, and eventually cut the new ones at the right length).

Then the flat ring should be installed in the proper way (with the open slot at 2 and the tooth protruding from it) and finally on top you simply press fit the bezel. Check that the nylon wire gasket inside the bezel is not mangled or it will become very hard to turn.

Mr_B
5 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

YOu don't need the omega wire spring, it has nothing to do with this bezel, you just need 2 springs :) The bezel is press-fit.

The springs are here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4GSZE/ or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap-0-3mmx2mmx15mm-Stainless-Compression-Springs/dp/B076LZ7XHR/ or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-Diameter-Stainless-Extended-Compressed/dp/B07MDVV3C5 (you need to check the diameter of yours, and eventually cut the new ones at the right length).

Then the flat ring should be installed in the proper way (with the open slot at 2 and the tooth protruding from it) and finally on top you simply press fit the bezel. Check that the nylon wire gasket inside the bezel is not mangled or it will become very hard to turn.

@GenTLe There is nothing in the bezel apart from the insert, no wire gasket so the bezel doesn't click on the case, there's normally a wire inside the bezel right? 

Mr_B

Xy0I8.jpg

Is it worth trying to make a new gasket using that?

GenTLe
Mr_B

Cheers @GenTLe

Mr_B

Forgive my blindness, I have discovered said gasket in the bezel, I've ordered the springs so should have all the parts. I'm struggling to see how the springs are going to make the bezel stay put mind you. It doesn't click onto the case in the slightest right now but will see when the springs get here. Looking at 14th July :sad:

GenTLe

The only thing that makes the bezel to stay put is that plastic ring. It presses on the bezel and on the crystal ring. Normally it's replaced at any service of the watch because it can be stretched and not be really functional later. But my 2 tudor all works well after a couple of disassembly, so should yours. Eventually ask Rolie to put back the bezel, he surely has an appropriate press for that kind of task.

• Like 1

Mr_B

So I removed the gasket and re-seated it, then put everything where it's supposed to go and applied pressure at four corners of the bezel and it seems to have stuck down nicely. I'm not going to use the bezel until I have the other springs but it seems solid. 

XrvW8.jpg

P.s could admin move this to the relevant section? 

BadPickle

@Mr_B

is it the same case as the rose dial?  

I can whip the bezel off mine and see what’s underneath if it helps

splke
24 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

@Mr_B

Aww see you can be nice :cheerleader:

BadPickle
1 minute ago, splke said:

Aww see you can be nice :cheerleader:

:shutup:

splke
27 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

:shutup:

:finger:

Mr_B
4 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

@Mr_B

I believe so, I had a Tudor red before a V2 I believe with a dodgy bezel that I had to reattach, it had a wire retaining spring but I don't think that's how they are normally, maybe previous owner did that? I think mines ok now tbf, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put a retaining spring as the nylon gasket is there instead, this maybe a new more gen like construction but I don't know lol. but cheers all the same mate. 

BadPickle

Just whipped it off and mine is the one with a wire,  revealing a flat washer with a ratchet mechanism cut into it.  The hole is in the case is to stop the ratchet washer slipping round  and definitely no springs 

23 hours ago, Mr_B said:

I believe so, I had a Tudor red before a V2 I believe with a dodgy bezel that I had to reattach, it had a wire retaining spring but I don't think that's how they are normally, maybe previous owner did that? I think mines ok now tbf, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put a retaining spring as the nylon gasket is there instead, this maybe a new more gen like construction but I don't know lol. but cheers all the same mate. 

• Like 1

GenTLe

Ok, so there are 2 types of them. Mine is the one with the plastic ring (on both the 41 burgundy and also on the 2 bronze I had), they are/were all ZF.

• Like 1

Mr_B

Cheers for looking @pickledbeetroot

And I agree with you @GenTLe there is more than one bezel assembly, the latest more to gen specification (and probably worse)