neogeo999

Stuck spring bar

neogeo999

I went to swap the strap on my Sarb035 and noticed that I couldn't engage the spring bar flange.
A few minutes later I realized that I must have replaced the regular 20mm spring bars with a "fat" 21mm double flange spring bars.

Long story short I fucked up :Doh:

The body of the spring bar is a perfect fit between the lug,  it doesn't have any sort of play.
The flange are fully retracted inside the spring bar and inaccessible.

The only options that I can think of are:

• Pulling very hard trying to bend the spring bar, risking to scratch the watch or/and damaging the lug holes.
  • Cutting the strap with cutting pliers and trow a nice costly strap in the trash.

Any other ideas?
Has anyone made similar mistakes in the past or am I the first?

GenTLe

If they went in, they can go out. But I'd probably try to bend the bars in the middle, through the strap leather, with something blunt not to ruin the strap.

• Like 1

thatjakea

I mean depending on the value of the strap... I'd personally order a jewellers saw and cut through it, saves the risk of scratching the case and damage to the strap! :D

They're literally like wire so you can just slip it inside the lug and hey presto :D

neogeo999
15 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

If they went in, they can go out. But I'd probably try to bend the bars in the middle, through the strap leather, with something blunt not to ruin the strap.

Putting it in was easy but removing it is a different story.

The flanges are not accessible.

I will try to bend the strap as you suggested but it will be difficult. Is a padded side strap... Not very flexible

neogeo999
Just now, thatjakea said:

I mean depending on the value of the strap... I'd personally order a jewellers saw and cut through it, saves the risk of scratching the case and damage to the strap! :D

They're literally like wire so you can just slip it inside the lug and hey presto :D

Great idea! I will not buy a saw.

I will go to a jeweler to have the spring bar sawn.

thatjakea

Be cheaper to buy the saw! Did a quick google - £6 on amazon :beer2:

SteveA

Done this myself before and was able to slip a flat screwdriver between case and strap.Then firmly lever away from case ,it will feel like nothing is happening and then the bar sort of collapses in the middle.It didn’t cause any damage but if you want to be really sure put some tape around the blade 

GenTLe
3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Done this myself before and was able to slip a flat screwdriver between case and strap.Then firmly lever away from case ,it will feel like nothing is happening and then the bar sort of collapses in the middle.It didn’t cause any damage but if you want to be really sure put some tape around the blade 

Yep, this is exactly what I meant :)

neogeo999
3 hours ago, SteveA said:

thanks for the advice.
I'll write about how it went.