ninjadogg

Rolex Deepsea D-Blue IR 904L First Impressions

ninjadogg

I’ve had my eye on a rep of a Rolex Sea-Dweller or Deepsea for a while and finally pulled the trigger when after showing my wife pics of Rolex dive watches, she picked the James Cameron because of the blue to black fade on the dial.

I purchased it through Mary and it was an excellent experience as usual (feedback posted on her page).

Even though it has the crown between the “Swiss” and  “made” on the dial, it seems to be a rep of the earlier Deepsea version (116660). The big difference is that the bracelet is more tapered and the bracket and clasp are not as wide. I’m not aware of any reps of the updated 2018 version (126660), but if anyone knows of one please leave a comment. Here’s a good article if anyone is interested in the differences: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-deepsea-sea-dweller-126660-watch/

Some thoughts on owning it for a few weeks now: The fit and finish of the rep is very high-quality, on par with ARF in my opinion (I have an ARF 116610 LN Sub that I also got from Mary). As mentioned in many reviews for the gen, it is not a watch for the meek. It is big, 44mm diameter and 18mm height. It is also a little top-heavy and takes a while to get used to. I’m still relatively new to the rep game but I can’t find many faults compared to online and magazine pics of the gen, but I’d like to hear opinions from more experienced members.

I was worried it would be too heavy and thick, but it feels very similar to my 43.5 mm VSF Omega Planet Ocean rep. But that watch has a wider bracelet and clasp and I feel that it’s more balanced on wrist. I can see how a wider bracelet and clasp would benefit this model too, hence the update by Rolex a couple years ago.

Would it discourage me from recommending this watch? No, it’s still has an awesome and unique dial and I prefer the larger size compared to the standard 40mm Sub. Also being able to use the Glidelock system while you’re wearing the watch, as opposed to having to take it off to adjust the fit is also a very cool feature.

E36cF.jpg
E3tP2.jpg
E3BSE.jpg
E3rmt.jpg
E3len.jpg
E3pt3.jpg
E3CEs.jpg
E3THY.jpg

• Like 3

BravoDelta

Very nice, and great pictures. I love wearing my "budget" versions of this watch. It's actually really comfortable to wear despite it's girth. I'd like to get a better quality version. :thumbsup2:

ninjadogg

Thanks! I’ve gotten used to it and have luckily avoided banging it against any door jambs. :D

I think since it’s so big, you don’t forget your wearing it and subconsciously are more careful.

What are your “budget” versions, out of curiosity?

BravoDelta

EpmXi.jpg

ninjadogg

Nice! I just recently discovered sky-dwellers and I might need to get one!

Nickpicker

Great photos, great watch! Thanks for showing. Which version did you order? Noob V10? You ordered model 126660, but the bracelet is still from the previous model?  The 116660 has a narrower strap. In my opinion, the new bracelet has 22/20 mm in the original? Thanks for further information about the bracelet...

Gumbo

Great watch and great write up! Thanks!

myth selasi

Lovely timepiece