Sign in to follow this  
dingle

dingle's first vintage build

ebzen02
Try Athaya for the buckle over at HF!

still waiting on my hands after 3 weeks as he ships from Indonesia methinks.....know anybody faster? :D

How about donerix? He has I think? Any of the vintage strap guys probably can sell you one.

dingle
Try Athaya for the buckle over at HF!

still waiting on my hands after 3 weeks as he ships from Indonesia methinks.....know anybody faster? :D

How about donerix? He has I think?

will check him out...thanks mate ;)

Member X

Indonesia ships slooooowwwwwwwwwwww :rofl: lol

The only other option is NW, but you pay for the convenience! :D

JohnG
Holy shit Dingle.. That looks awesome!!!

Are you looking at the first pics in the thread, because that is a gen....

LOL!!! No wonder!! I need to go smoke me some focus factor!!

The same thing happened to me, I had to wipe a few ounces of cum off the computer screen.

dingle

Hands are here....:woo:

time to boil and egg now :D

............I am concerned about removing the second hand pin from the movement. Will a dremel do the job and not damage the inner workings? I have everything taped off, just a little scared to pull the trigger.

......acharria is also working on my strap

sconehead

............I am concerned about removing the second hand pin from the movement. Will a dremel do the job and not damage the inner workings? I have everything taped off, just a little scared to pull the trigger.

...a decent pair of electrical end cutters will do the job mate...:woo:

dingle

...a decent pair of electrical end cutters will do the job mate...:woo:

those I have!

sconehead
Hands are here....:rofl:

time to boil and egg now :)

...a decent pair of electrical end cutters will do the job mate...:facepalm:

those I have!

well?

...and by the way, after you clip the second hand output pin, steal your missus' ruby nail file to remove any burrs...:rofl:

dingle
Hands are here....;)

time to boil and egg now :facepalm:

...a decent pair of electrical end cutters will do the job mate...:rofl:

those I have!

well?

...and by the way, after you clip the second hand output pin, steal your missus' ruby nail file to remove any burrs...:rofl:

will have to wait until later.....swamped at work.....

thanks for the tip mate :)

rsea

Dingleberry - just email me with any problems mate. Sounds like you're doing everything the hard way!

[email protected]

dingle

The subdial pin is now history and after following rsea's advice, I decided to go with the modified stem from Andy Schuhren. I could not get the stem to epoxy perfectly straight for the silix crown to set on.....oh well

....only bad thing is, he ships from Germany......patience I must have....

while I wait, I will see about soldering the lugs on the case....:)

Member X

Nice work, dingle :)

Mine have progressed nowhere fast recently, but I have purchased some matte clear lacquer and a brown gloss as well, so I will play some more with dials soon! :)

And I really have to sit down and work out what I need to order from cousins and athaya!!

dingle

so when someone states "reshape the case to more gen like" what exactly are they doing? Of course this is referring to the 3646 case. The one I have from silix already looks spot on....what am I missing?

5890856702_93dceb1218_b.jpg

rsea

I've never bothered with a 3646

Some guys like to blunt the points but what is more gen? Make it look how you like it most.

Figure out what you like most by checking out gen pics http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4929

Member X

I don't think I can be arsed to do anything to the case - what are the chances of meeting a vintage PAM WIS? Given you probably see under 10 people a day who will notice your watch, most of whom would probably only be interested if it was a Rolex or other 'big name' brand, you might as well just wear it the way you like it :)

I think I'm going for 'NOS' with mine when they're done :D lol

dingle
I don't think I can be arsed to do anything to the case - what are the chances of meeting a vintage PAM WIS? Given you probably see under 10 people a day who will notice your watch, most of whom would probably only be interested if it was a Rolex or other 'big name' brand, you might as well just wear it the way you like it :(

I think I'm going for 'NOS' with mine when they're done ;) lol

:lol:

.............I just want to knock off the "new" look. It is way too shiny for vintage. Any recommendations?

Member X

I was wondering this also... :( lol :lol:

I am tempted by the scotchbrite pad in my RWG kit from the shop, but it might look too linear if I brush in the direction of the case!!

sconehead
I don't think I can be arsed to do anything to the case - what are the chances of meeting a vintage PAM WIS? Given you probably see under 10 people a day who will notice your watch, most of whom would probably only be interested if it was a Rolex or other 'big name' brand, you might as well just wear it the way you like it :)

I think I'm going for 'NOS' with mine when they're done :P lol

:popcorn:

.............I just want to knock off the "new" look. It is way too shiny for vintage. Any recommendations?

...Loan it to Kink for a week or two...tell him to wear it everyday and take very good care of it...B)

dingle

OK. The case has been aged.....some by choice, other parts by accident :lol:. Lugs are soldered, as well as the crown threads....pics to follow soon. It looks like hell, but who cares.....it's vintage ;)

The boiled egg process to age the hands did not work worth a damn. Maybe I did something wrong. I boiled an egg, removed the shell, placed in a ziploc bag and "mashed" it up. Placed hands inside bag, sealed, and waited for 8 hours...maybe longer. Absolutely nothing happened to the hands. WTF?

Hands are now being stained with left over sweet tea......... The hell with A-1 :rolleyes:

:D

on another note, the dial has been placed on the movement. I placed the hands into position on the CP and there was "low canon pinion" effect. :huh:......plus, the movement would only tick a few minutes and then stop. With the hands removed, the movement ticks normal with no issues...

.....any thoughts?

......damn this is harder than I thought....well worth $4000 if you ask me....:Whistle:

greg_r

Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out - especially as I've considered doing something similar myself.... ;)

Note that for it to be worth $4k, A1 sauce is compulsory. Sorry mate, but them's the rules :lol:

Member X
on another note, the dial has been placed on the movement. I placed the hands into position on the CP and there was "low canon pinion" effect. :huh:......plus, the movement would only tick a few minutes and then stop. With the hands removed, the movement ticks normal with no issues...

.....any thoughts?

Is it an H3 cannon pinion movement?

Are the hands touching the dial?

Are the hands touching each other?

Are the hands massively loaded with lume and 3x the original weight? (like mine? :lol:)

dingle

.....any thoughts?

Is it an H3 cannon pinion movement?

Are the hands touching the dial?

Are the hands touching each other?

Are the hands massively loaded with lume and 3x the original weight? (like mine? :lol:)

1. no effin clue......Sconey. What the hell did you send me? :huh:

2. don't think so

3. don't think so

4. don't think so

Hopefully some pics tomorrow.....forgot to bring the photo card to download....

Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out - especially as I've considered doing something similar myself.... :thud:

Note that for it to be worth $4k, A1 sauce is compulsory. Sorry mate, but them's the rules ;)

:bounce:...hawt damn. I shall sell for $4K......buyer gets steak dinner...with A-1...:D

sconehead

I sent you a Molly 3602 as it's known on the forums, the one with the center wheel jewel, it supposedly has the high CP which is why I sent it to you, no modding required.

I thought you were using the modded long pin hands anyway? If that's the case it shouldn't be a problem, even if it had a low CP.

The simple fact that it runs fine without the hands and doesn't when they are fitted means that something is fouling somewhere, also are you sure you clipped the seconds output so it doesnt touch the reverse of the dial?

Talking of clipping the seconds, how did you do it in the end?

dingle
I sent you a Molly 3602 as it's known on the forums, the one with the center wheel jewel, it supposedly has the high CP which is why I sent it to you, no modding required.

I thought you were using the modded long pin hands anyway? If that's the case it shouldn't be a problem, even if it had a low CP.

The simple fact that it runs fine without the hands and doesn't when they are fitted means that something is fouling somewhere, also are you sure you clipped the seconds output so it doesnt touch the reverse of the dial?

Talking of clipping the seconds, how did you do it in the end?

I think they are the long pin hands.....I guess a pic is in order to see what I am talking about.....no biggie.....

...........no touching the dial, It runs fine with the dial on ( and no hands).......just when I added the hands, it stops......maybe they were not fitted right....I will try again today.....

clipping of the seconds-----now this was an interesting adventure. I took the nail filer from the wifey, starting with a "back and forth" motions and literally within the 3rd motion, it came off....not grinded off, but came off, never to be found......the movement runs fine so I said "what the hell, that was easy" and moved on :giggle:

greg_r

This thread brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'trailer park modding'

I love it! :lol: