Alan32

Brushing a case

Alan32

Hi guys 

I need one of you finishing Gurus to advise me on the best way to change this shiny attempt at a bellytanker  into the brushed finish it should have !

From this 

xrrUS.jpg

xrBfL.jpg

to this

xrtQQ.jpg

Jibuti

If case is only plated job will be impossible. 

• Like 1

BadApple

Have a word with @Simonix. He took a PAM i have that should be polished but was brushed and sent it back to me polished. 

• Like 2

k4jun

Get those brushing pads, a grain on gen is pretty strong so black or green pad should do the job.

Be gentle, given this is a rep with unknown plating.. you can f'up the watch lugs.

xte6R.jpg

• Like 1

Simonix

As @k4jun has said above, Scotchbrite pads will do the job. 

I also use sanding foam pads. I tend to set up a little jig to keep the strokes straight in order to get a uniform brushed finish. 

Thanks for the mention @BadApple. You loved my work so much, you sold the watch a week later... haha!

• Like 1

Simonix

Here is a couple of before/after photos of a Pam that I rebrushed for a friend....

xBx9Y.jpg xBbKs.jpg xBSR3.jpg xBGBn.jpg

• Like 1

Simonix

And here is a polished Pam buckle that I brushed last week. All using sanding foam pads....

xQDTJ.jpg xBgqo.jpg

• Like 1

Alan32

Thanks guys as soon as Wish send me my money back for the "outrageous " fake watch they sent me (again!) then I can order another (my forth for the same money!):giggle:

and can get stuck into f@3king up another part of my watch skills:D ( I have just broken the secondhand pinions on TWO DG 2813, and all because I didn't like the stutter on a Miyota 8215):blowup:P.S.  I profusely apologise for the crap on the tray in the photos and have taken measures to sanitise it:blink:

• Like 2

ClassicWhite

Ive been using scotch pad. But found out this exists just the other day from watching a youtube watch restorer. Looks better for watch heads

xvD5i.jpg

ClassicWhite

found the video - 9m05s 

J!m

Yeah, “brushed” finish has nothing to do with a brush. Correct grit size paper with a jig to keep strokes perfectly straight and square is how it’s done. 

I also use red scotchbrite on bracelets but that is a very fine finish. Lugs and cases need paper. 

Don’t try it on a plated rep. All the sharp corners will blow through and it’ll look like garbage. 

You could try spraying a matt clear to tone down the glare, but I wouldn’t block it.