Sign in to follow this  
PeterWorcester

Mary's "New" Submariner in my hands

PeterWorcester

This is the Submariner that I was told by Mary was a new model for her. (I'm not saying it's anything other than what she has told me in the last post I made of this "new" model, new for her at least)

I can say now that I've had it for 2 days that I LOVE it. It will probably replace my DSSD and Tag Aquaracer day/date as daily wear. It is BEAUTIFUL. The semi glide lock type clasp mechanism is identical to the gen I played with this am.

The bracelet is so tight and the fit so nice I'm really happy with it. It was actually hard to remove links everything was so precise.

The following pictures don't really do it justice, I'm sorry. There is some dust on the watch and some finger prints etc. I also didn't line up the bezel at exactly 12 O'clock but it does line up exactly, mea culpa on that one.

The movement feels like nothing I've felt before, very tight and solid, NO play or slop in the hands with the winder. I have noticed that this is really the first rep I've owned that I can't see the hands step, this has a beautiful sweep to it. Even my AD commented on the sweep of the second hand.

The bracelet is as comfortable as I've ever felt one. The center links are NOT polished. A friend of mine took one of the spare links and has confirmed that the steel is 316F not 316L although he tells me that the difference is really minimal between these two low grade steels, grade "f" is just a tad harder to scratch and polishes a little smoother.

The cyclops looks excellent as far as magnification.

My Rolex AD said it was one of the better rep's he's ever seen. The bezel lume dot at 12 is very slightly off center and the lume at 6 O'clock is a little shaky on one side. Frankly I can live with all that cause in two days it hasn't lost a beat and I love the feel of it. I'm used to the heft of a DSSD but this little beauty feels pretty good.

So here are the pics, of the real watch.

Clasp_3.jpg

Clasp_2.jpg

Clasp_1.jpg

Bracelet_Back.jpg

Back_1.jpg

Face_1.jpg

Face_2.jpg

FaceUp_1.jpg

Wrist_1.jpg

Wrist_2.jpg

Cheers all,

Peter

phanto

how is the datewheel font

seclark007

Good Score Peter, you sound very happy with it and that's the main thing!

Thanks as well, for being my 500th post!

Sean

Nisv

Allright, congrats :dunno:

Actually, the more I look at Subs & DSSD:s, the more I get drawn to the dark side.....

I even tend to pay extra notice on the details, like perfect 10, CG, fonts etc.

I couldn't help but to notice that it's a clean caseback, the sign of gen :wacko: ....... :band:

SeanusMaximus

Nice one, the generic submariner is the only one im drawn to really, that and the original explorer, got a green one on way! congratulations though. :P

PeterWorcester
how is the datewheel font

Phanto,

To be honest, I'm not enough of an expert to really be able to tell.

I did show it to a good friend of mine who is a Rolex AD and he said, he saw only a couple of tells, the bezel lume dot is just a hair "off", the lume at 6 O'clock is just a tad shaky on one side.

He commented on the metal of the bracelet but said honestly he couldn't tell if it wasn't 916 steel unless he had it analyzed. He did say the bracelet was a very good rep, it had the feel of a gen, the fits were all very tight. The movement's sweep was very good, no telltale stepping.

He thought the mag on the "cyclops" was spot on. And he did wind the dates through all 31 days and didn't say anything other than very good 6's & 9's. So I could only assume that the datewheel font was at least pretty close. He also said the laser etching of the rolex symbol at 6 O'clock on the sapphire was very well done.

Personally I'm really pleased with it and I've been a huge "ultimate" DSSD fan since I started playing with reps again many months ago. I've always fallen back on wearing my DSSD but this Sub has had a LOT of wrist time since I got it, in fact I don't think I've worn another watch since. I'm really happy with it and it has a very nice feel to it for a lighter (than the DSSD) watch. It's time keeping is phenomenally accurate, it's still within 1 second since I set it 4 days ago. All in all , this one is a real keeper for me. I'm sure there are better one's out there, I know BK's is supposed to be incredible, but for a "stock" watch I'm satisfied.

Cheers,

Peter

David543

Nice one Peter. If you like a watch, post about it, this is supposed to be a watch forum so the more you tell ua about the watch and dealer the better :)

Agree with the AD on both counts but he would have had to look so closely.... If you want to pay more I would guess BK is the ultimate, but the price is high... Very nice looking watch and you should be real pleased. As the only faults seem to be the lume, if you are bothered contact Ska as he is in the UK and can work wonders with lume! ;)

PeterWorcester
Nice one Peter. If you like a watch, post about it, this is supposed to be a watch forum so the more you tell ua about the watch and dealer the better :Thinking:

Agree with the AD on both counts but he would have had to look so closely.... If you want to pay more I would guess BK is the ultimate, but the price is high... Very nice looking watch and you should be real pleased. As the only faults seem to be the lume, if you are bothered contact Ska as he is in the UK and can work wonders with lume! :lol:

Thanks David,

I really do like this watch and I have another Sub that is great but just doesn't even come close to this one. I usually find myself with my DSSD or my TAg Aquaracer on but this Sub hasn't left my wrist.

I've been thinking about getting it re-lumed but frankly I don't want to be without it for too long. I should contact Ska and see what turn around time to the US is from the UK. It would be very sweet to have this Sub "Skalumed". I'd also love to pressure test this too. I've showered with it and swam with it, so far no signs at all of moisture. I'd love to find out how to really waterproof it. My case back opener doesn't quite fit any of my subs exactly so I'm hesitant to play too much with it cause I'll just scratch the case back and the teeth. I need to find a better case back opener. I have a pretty nice Burgeon set but the 29.5mm block just doesn't fit as exactly as I was assured it would.

Would love to find someone in the US that can waterproof and re-lume this watch.

Cheers,

Peter

David543

Sorry mate, saw your name and thought it was Worcester in the Uk, hence recommending Ska :lol:

Good luck finding someone closer!

Slowlow

Looks lovely, very tempted. How much was it?

pamelo

Looks good, but the test is what it looks like in six months. In my experience, the cheap ones don't hold up.

After a month or two, they start to fall apart. The dots on the face fall out, the bezel becomes unglued. Stuff like that.

But these are pretty expensive reps, and they should hold up if you are getting your moneys worth.

I'd like to hear from some of the other rep owners here about what their watches are like after a year or two.

Do they hold up?

NFleischer

Looks nice- congrats. The bracelet does look all brushed BTW.

That's the ceramic version, right?

Luthier

My Sub from Mary alive and in perfect condition, and I wear it often. Bought 3 years ago. TT wrapped gold, no any signs of wearing.

Peters, seems your AD knows watches, it's rare thing.

:)

phanto

thanks pete and luth for your input, looks like i'll be ordering one of these from mary soon.

nighty

@Luthier: TT Wrapped gold ? Is that still available in wrapped vs plated ?

PeterWorcester
My Sub from Mary alive and in perfect condition, and I wear it often. Bought 3 years ago. TT wrapped gold, no any signs of wearing.

Peters, seems your AD knows watches, it's rare thing.

:)

Thanks Luth,

He's a guy I grew up with and he manages one of the better AD rolex dealers here in the US and he's pretty cool about letting me compare the gens he carries with a rep when I get one. I bought my gen Sea Dweller and Breitling Blackbird from him over the years. But he tells me he is losing business to reps more and more the last couple of years.

As far as durability I agree with you though, I've found that the more expensive reps I have get a LOT of wear from me and they are holding up pretty well. That's pretty damn good 3 years and still looking good, I think the oldest rep I have is only about 18 months old and it still looks great. It was a higher end rep and I've beat on it pretty good.

I rock climb with my watch on, sail with it on, swim, shower. Most watches I wear literally never come off my wrist and the reps I've owned for 12-18 months are holding up just fine. Just as well as any of my gen watches. Sure the bracelet is going to get scratched and stuff but I've found I can polish or buff out the small stuff periodically and the cases and sapphire crystals are as good as the day I bought them. I just think if you buy the slightly higher end reps they are pretty sturdy now days. All mine are holding up pretty well. From what I can tell even the non ETA movements that use the same case & bracelet as their more expensive siblings are just as sturdy.

I can remember 15-20 years ago, going to Hong Kong on business and buying a "rep" Rolex, I still have one or two and if it rained on them they would fill with water, or the 2nd time you' set the date the movement would break. Now days the reps are pretty darn well made for the most part. I can see why the gen watch companies are pressuring "Customs" and other agencies to clamp don on them.

Cheers,

Peter

PeterWorcester
Looks lovely, very tempted. How much was it?

It was $298US + shipping

PeterWorcester
Looks nice- congrats. The bracelet does look all brushed BTW.

That's the ceramic version, right?

Yes it is the ceramic version and the bracelet is all brushed, just like the same gen model. I believe there is a slightly different model number with the middle links polished, I saw it at my AD buddies shop, it was a blue face & bezel model with the polished mid links.

Cheers,

Peter

cobn

punch me if iam wrong, but the hour-markers on the dial are STILL not the same as the gen.

there is no rep, either DSSD or Sub.

take a look at the gen:

DSC_6934resized.jpg

KeNnY
punch me if iam wrong, but the hour-markers on the dial are STILL not the same as the gen.

take a look at the gen:

Where can I punch you ? :kenny: that is not ceramic edition of rolex....

GEN ceramic Rolex Sub

39ew%20Ro1.jpg

what is wrong is only the hour hand, but that is possible fix, and not all models have this flaw. And again the neverending story of deephness of ceramic bezel fonts.

PeterWorcester
Looks good, but the test is what it looks like in six months. In my experience, the cheap ones don't hold up.

After a month or two, they start to fall apart. The dots on the face fall out, the bezel becomes unglued. Stuff like that.

But these are pretty expensive reps, and they should hold up if you are getting your moneys worth.

I'd like to hear from some of the other rep owners here about what their watches are like after a year or two.

Do they hold up?

Pamelo,

Like Lutheir's 3yo Gold wrapped watch, my oldest rep (excepting the real cheeps I bought 5-20 years ago) is only 18+ moths but it's as good as the day it arrived and it's a ASIAN ETA clone movement that still keeps fantastic time and the crystal hasn't a scratch on it, the bracelet with a little polishing once in a while is as new as the day it arrived. I think you can get a darn nice watch for almost nothing that will stand up pretty well. I'm amazed at the $88 DSSD I bought from Robert many months ago, it keeps awesome time and has help up like nothing like new. It was inexpensive cause it is a 21J Asian movement but the case, bracelet, crystal are, I believe, the same as the more expensive ETA model. Amazing !

Cheers,

Peter

cobn

nooooooo kenny!

i mean the "dots" on the dial. where the lume is. the hour-dots :kenny:

on the gen they are smooth and flattened! but on the rep they look different.

no matter if its dssd, sub, caramic,sub gmt whatever..

KeNnY
nooooooo kenny!

i mean the "dots" on the dial. where the lume is. the hour-dots :D

on the gen they are smooth and flattened! but on the rep they look different.

no matter if its dssd, sub, caramic,sub gmt whatever..

ahh no problem, sorry mate :kenny: yeah well I like it more bit bigger, because more lume means more lume = longer, stronger.

cobn

of course. bigger is bigger :kenny:

PeterWorcester

take a look at the gen:

Where can I punch you ? :kenny: that is not ceramic edition of rolex....

GEN ceramic Rolex Sub

what is wrong is only the hour hand, but that is possible fix, and not all models have this flaw. And again the neverending story of deephness of ceramic bezel fonts.

KenNy,

Good catch, I was looking at the pic thinking there is something different about that watch, you got it, the version isn't the ceramic version.

I'm going to go by my buddy's shop today and look at the hands. He must not be as sharp as I thought he was he didn't pick up on the hour. What is the difference from the gen, cause I don't have the experience to see it ? I do notice the bezel font depth, but strangely the gen watch we were looking at didn't appear to have the same depth font as the picture you posted. I have to go back and look.

(editted after reading reply) Ok, got it, the hour marker's lume dots, It's hard for me to tell cause I'm looking at the watch under a loupe now and the dots aren't quite as flat perhaps but, that's a pretty hard thing to spot. Funny but the gen we looked at appeared to have slightly raised hour lume dots too, not as flat as the picture. I need to go look at the gen again)

Cheers,

Peter