J!m

Home-made 16610 crystal retainer die

J!m

Made this up today so I can press on the retainer without any distortion at all...

VTwhj.jpg VTdR1.jpg

• Like 3

NCRich

That is nice!

J!m

Thanks Rich!

the usual flat bottom dies always end up twisting the retainer. Then the bezel won’t turn smoothly. 

I need to make another for four-digit cases next. 

I’m drawing up the 16610 one above, and I’ll get a quote for mass production (like 10 pieces). They will probably sell on eBay and Rolex forum too. 

Getting the angles right, and the clearance was a bit tricky on such a small piece but it fits perfectly. 

Nikosaldente

Nice:D

Well done :clap:

GenTLe

Have a couple of similar ones, in aluminium, made for my by a friend with a lathe. They work perfectly! :) One for the sub and one for the GMT which need different sizes

J!m

Nice! It goes so much smoother with the right tools. 

Dr Fun Socks

I turned mine up from some brass. As gentle says, one for gmt’s and one for subs. Really useful tool to have. I tried boring out the ones that come with presses but the chinese death plastic isnt the most machinable material in the world. 

J!m

The Chinese ones are cast nylon. Very brittle and they don’t hold the threaded insert well either...

I think glass reinforced Delrin is about best to be strong enough but not so hard to scratch. But I don’t have any stock at the moment. 

This is just 6061 but it fits the bill nicely. 

Dr Fun Socks
58 minutes ago, J!m said:

The Chinese ones are cast nylon. Very brittle and they don’t hold the threaded insert well either...

I think glass reinforced Delrin is about best to be strong enough but not so hard to scratch. But I don’t have any stock at the moment. 

This is just 6061 but it fits the bill nicely. 

Nylon should turn well, although i think ive only ever used extruded nylon. Wouldn’t think that the cast vs extruded would make that much difference. Feels like the chinese ones are a thermo set plastic some how. I mean nylon is a dream to turn. Those shitty dies were anything but. Ally or brass definitely seem to be the best compromise between soft enough not to damage parts but still hard wearing. 

J!m

I agree- extruded nylon is fine. Cast, especially over-temp, and it gets brittle, almost like styrene. Crap. Surprised it’s not brown actually...

Plain white delrin is like butter. I made the butt caps of the few cues I made with Delrin and that is nice. You just have to watch temp as it does move a bit. 

Glass reinforced Delrin is also a dream to turn and more stable. Plus it’s a lot stronger. 

PEEK is another I really like but it’s expensive and only needed fur high temp and high dielectric properties- like Teflon but not soft. 

Torlon is the latest I’m playing with. High temp, stable and hard. I have some turntable main bearings made of this stuff and it’s nearly as slick as Teflon but hard and strong enough to make bearing balls. Cool stuff!

BC1221

When are you making bezel ring doc?? I def need one or 10. :)

That looks great btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks
8 hours ago, BC1221 said:

When are you making bezel ring doc?? I def need one or 10. :)

That looks great btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to give up on that one mate. Its just too hard manually turning a little 0.2mm thick ring from teflon. The material is soft and it just turns to mush when you part it off. I heard tickleshoes 3d printed some and it worked. Might be worth asking him?

GenTLe

By the way, speaking about extreme tolerances... Mine 2 were both for the submariner. The one that I enlarged for the GMT has been done putting it onto a cheap vertical drill (that I have) and sanding it down from the inside with sandpaper in around 20 mins. And works perfectly... The level of tolerances for these pieces are like 0.5mm: they are press bits, not water-tight components.

BadPickle

@J!m I’m pretty sure you need permission to group buy/sell your shite on here, ask  @Luthier how that went for him 

@Chiquita Fanjita

and yes that IS thread crapping 

J!m

Is https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/profile/8676-chiquita-fanjita/ a mod that can give permission? I used to deal with Greg...

I can do a tagged photo as well if that’s an issue. Low value so I didn’t think it’d be an issue. 

I expect to sell none here anyway. Just wanted to support the group. Clearly it is not appreciated by some of the membership. 

BadPickle

You’re just some clown who thinks he’s the cods head at watch-buggeringaboutwith, now you’ve come up with a bit of steel and think it’s from almighty god so you try drum up some business to make and sell a few, yeah big words but whether or not it’s appreciated by any of the gullible here... it isn’t allowed. 

BadPickle

Pasted directly from the sales rules

5. LIMITATIONS: M2M is for the resale of used items that are no longer required - not for the selling of new items. We do not permit auctions, competitions, group buys, proxy sales, sales of services rendered (such as watchsmithing) or multiple samples of the same item in this section. In addition, we do not allow pre-orders - if you don't have the actual item in hand and immediately available to ship, don't list it. No exceptions. Note also that all items must have a stated price - even if you're looking for a trade only, the value must be stated

Chiquita Fanjita
57 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

@J!m I’m pretty sure you need permission to group buy/sell your shite on here, ask  @Luthier how that went for him 

@Chiquita Fanjita

and yes that IS thread crapping 

As @pickledbeetroot has pointed out, you will need to get permission for any group buys/sales., as these normally don’t go too well.

Permission will need to be sought from either @Del or @trailboss99 as they will have the final say.

J!m

Fair enough.

Please delete the thread. 

Del

@J!m  Absolutely no group buys allowed on RWG. Any attempt at running them covertly via PM will result in a ban here. Nothing personal, that’s just the rule due to painful experience.

Thread locked.