Dubs123

Watchsmith in Switzerland? Problem with IWC Portugese Chrono

Dubs123

Hi all,

I just received my first rep watch yesterday. And unfortunately I already ran into some major problems.

I bought a IWC Portugese Chrono (This One). It has the very finicky 7750 movement, and I suspect this is what causes me most of the trouble I am having.

The 2 main issues are:

1.) Winding the watch does not work as I expected it. I know you have to be very careful when handwinding a 7750, however for my watch it is not working at all.

With the crown in the "pushed in" position, i can hear the watch winding when I turn counterclockwise (opposite of Gen). The crown does not at all turn clockwise (I didn't force it because there is resistance).

Winding the watch by hand does not deliver any power to the reserve, only swirling the watch itself around does. The crown also has an intermediate position, between pushed in (and winding the reserve which doesn't work) and setting the time. In this intermediate position I seemingly can freely rotate the crown but nothing happens. I don't know if this is a feature for date setting etc. that is not used in this watch?

2.) The Chrono is another known issue of the 7750. I started it once when I received the watch, just to confirm it was working. It wasn't. The button to engage is relatively hard to press. Once pressed in the chrono starts running but I cannot stop it. The only way was to let it run until the watch ran out of power, then rewind it. I finally could stop and reset the chrono. 

Unfortunately I know very little about rep watches and I feel that taking this watch to a watchsmith in my country (Switzerland) would not go so well.

I tried a forum search but "Switzerland" obviously brings up a ton of results in a watch forum.
If anybody has an idea what the issue with my watch might be or a pointer as to where here (or maybe even in Germany) I could find  a watchsmith who would not mind dealing with a rep, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mario

Member X

Welcome to the forum :)

If it winds automatically on the wrist, don't handwind it - it's just asking for additional trouble!

I don't think you'll be able to find any Watchsmith in Swizerland who'll work on a rep, unfortunately.