Sign in to follow this  
LeandroBR

Noob Question about watch movements

LeandroBR

Hello guys! So far I have two replica watches in my collection (the hobby started two months ago). Both A7750 mov.

After some initial watch winding, and wearing they run fine. But if I stop using a watch for a couple of days, it stops,

as they are not supposed to have much power reserve. It's ok. My question is, for the sake of the watch movement, is it better to keep your watch stopped if you are not going to use it or, as I've been doing so far, keep them running by doing some gentle shaking or re-winding it (so you keep the overall movement lubricated) ?

You guys keep all your watches running all the time ?

thanks !

powderfreak

Difficult question, there is no "right" or "wrong".

Even worse, there are two groups of people: The ones that belive in keeping their movements wound constantly (those guys use watchwinders) and the others who think a stationary movement is better.

I don't want to use a watchwinder (energy, cost, space, noise) and generally don't think it's necessary to keep the watch moving all the time. So I just give it a good swirl to start it, set the time and start wearing it (even without real winding).

LeandroBR

Thank you powderfreak! Your answer is really appreciated.

Member X

One thing I would advise against is handwinding a 7750 - the reversing gears on the autowinder mechanism are very delicate (if I remember correctly) and handwinding can ruin the cogs involved.

I would let 7750s run down, and just change the time, swirl them (face down) anti-clockwise in the upturned palm of your hand to start them up, and then just strap them on when you want to wear them next!! :notworthy:

Make sure you read the 7750 User Guide stickied thread on here! :popcorn: (I'm not sure where it is so give the forums a search! lol)

LeandroBR
One thing I would advise against is handwinding a 7750 - the reversing gears on the autowinder mechanism are very delicate (if I remember correctly) and handwinding can ruin the cogs involved.

I would let 7750s run down, and just change the time, swirl them (face down) anti-clockwise in the upturned palm of your hand to start them up, and then just strap them on when you want to wear them next!! :thumbsup2:

Make sure you read the 7750 User Guide stickied thread on here! :) (I'm not sure where it is so give the forums a search! lol)

Thanks for your tips mate!