Diluted

Repairing my Omega Aqua Terra ‘231’ stripped crown threads

Diluted

I have a VSF Aqua Terra 15,000 Gauss, which I love, however, the crown stopped screwing down, and after some inspection I found that the threads inside the crown had stripped. After looking around a bit, I see that this is something that happens occasionally with these particular watches. Some people have fixed it by smooshing the crown tube a tad to get some bite for what is left of the threads but that’s not really my style, so, after some looking, I found this: https://www.topwatchparts.com/products/waterproof-crown-for-omg-omega-seamaster-231-automatic-watch and ordered it. It arrived after some time, and upon arrival, I discovered that the screw down threads on this crown are a match for the VSF crown tube, but the crown itself is Tap 10 (.9mm), and the stem that comes in the VSF AT is an A7750 stem with Tap 7 (1.2mm), so I would need either a stem extender/adapter, or a new A7750 stem, with the proper size threads to accept the crown. I found one here: https://www.watchmaterial.com/valjoux-7750-winding-stem-tap-10-tap7-9mm-1-20mm/ and ordered it. They ship quickly, and I had it within 4 days. I clipped (took a few small clips to get the right length!) and filed it, screwed the crown on, and it fits and works perfectly.

• Like 2

tribefan

Camera broke?

Diluted

Will take some pics. Wanted to get it all out of my head before I forgot to post about it :)

Diluted

Here are some pictures!

Original Crown and stem (I trimmed this stem real short in an attempt to use an adapter from 1.2mm to .9mm, also I accidentally crushed the place where the stem screws in when I was messing with this.)

ZncDs1.jpg

New crown and crown tube from Top Watch Parts (URL in first post)

Has a nice springy stem mount, the VSF one was not springy.
ZnVg9v.jpg

Old A7750 Stem on left with Tap 7 (1.2mm) threads, new one with Tap 10 (.9mm)
ZnVJR8.jpg

Clipped new stem and mounted it in the new crown
ZnVchK.jpg

Stem inserted, in time set position
ZncjZj.jpg

Stem screwed down (there is a little gap that I could probably trim a tiny bit more from the new stem to correct, but I already went through two stems (one that I cut too short!) so I am paranoid.
Znczq4.jpg

• Like 2

processengr

Nice write up, thank you!

NCRich

It will be interesting to see if that holds long term.  Threads in the tube are usually suspect as well.  But that is as good as anything you can do.  Replacing that tube is awful.