Pesman

Which cheaper gen watches punch well above their price...and which don't?

Pesman

So having received my League of Microbrands Hemel ST19 chronograph this week, it got me thinking as to which 'cheaper' gen watches punch well above their weight?

Whilst we merrily hanker after our beloved over-priced wristwear there are some cheaper gen watches out there that are absolute stunning value and some horrific ones...

I'm thinking build quality, feel, bracelet or strap quality, dial?

I have tried numerous microbrands and 'homages' and ended up with some poorly made, wobbly bezelled, tinny shockers...but in the Hemel I have found a gem...

My preference is obviously automatics which makes the challenge all the harder albeit the ubiquitous Seiko NA35 or Miyota movement are pretty cheap

So what cheap purchases have you made that you feel genuinely proud to wear on your wrist

I offer up the Hemel...$299

b51104ce7bb02c4e20a8f78b513c2f95.jpg

978a13e7d1d171e39420be2294c2e319.jpg

And my favourite tool brand...Deep Blue .. my go to holiday watch and a dive watch you would actually dive with...worn every night for its Tritium t100 lume - glows the pants of a Bell!

My choice about $300 as I recall and you could Hammer nails in with it

e1bcc38b5de94530e17b6c15ea297663.jpg

Spinnaker jumps to mind as well...just sold all mine though...

3ec4cdf2278c50a291b0568ccfd36434.jpg

And the bronze Ingersoll Scovill take some beating for £250...Still some left..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Bobbylah

I would say my 16610. Its genuinely performed way above what I expected, and kept its value superbly. It’s perceived as a classic, so will not go out of style. What more could you ask.

Edited by Bobbylah

deju
2 minutes ago, Bobbylah said:

I would say my 16610. Its genuinely performed way above what I expected, and kept its value superbly. It’s perceived as a classic, so will not go out of style. What more could you ask.

Think this misses the point :lol:

No Rolex punches above their price. Nothing to do with retaining / increasing in value. 

It’s things like a Steinhart watch that is £300 but has great build and quality to match a £1000 watch 

BadPickle
25 minutes ago, deju said:

It’s things like a Steinhart watch that is £300 but has great build and quality to match a £1000 watch 

:lol:  to match which £1000 watch exactly?microbrands or kickstarters?  

Pesman
Think this misses the point
No Rolex punches above their price. Nothing to do with retaining / increasing in value. 
Spot on@deju not talking about investment watches! I'm talking about cheap but undoubtedly cheerful...Steinhart may be pushing the budget a bit though...

tribefan

If you like big watches, for $150 I don't know how you beat this one. Bracelet is fantastic, secure clasp that flips open and closed like a breeze, stellar lume, beautiful dial with unique characters, silky smooth wind, plenty of PR. Monster case and this is "only" the 45MM. Even comes in a really nice box faux leather box with free shipping. The only criticism I have is the case and rehaut could be slimmer which would further accentuate a really nicely done dial.

Z8UNRk.jpg Z8UEQD.jpg

• Like 1

Pesman
  to match which £1000 watch exactly?microbrands or kickstarters?  

Both I'd suggest as many microbrands launch and fund through kickstarter. When does a microbrand become a not-so-microbrand? CW get mentioned as a microbrand by some but they clearly want to be regarded as far more than niche and RRP prices have rocketed as a result.

Anyway this is more about discoveries and unexpected brands we may not have thought to try

If you like big watches, for $150 I don't know how you beat this one. Bracelet is fantastic, secure clasp that flips open and closed like a breeze, stellar lume, beautiful dial with unique characters, silky smooth wind, plenty of PR. Monster case and this is "only" the 45MM. Even comes in a really nice box faux leather box with free shipping. The only criticism I have is the case and rehaut could be slimmer which would further accentuate a really nicely done dial.
Z8UNRk.jpg Z8UEQD.jpg

Agree Aragon seem solid..dial designs are a little garish for my tastes but have tried and passed on a couple and couldn't knock the build...

deju

Aragon is bloody brilliant!  

Casioak!  In fact Casio watches full stop are great watches for the money, build and durability is Epic

• Like 1

Abe Fromen

I had a Magrette Moana Pacific Professional diver. At the time it was about US$500 (IIRC) and had lume for days with a Miyota that was buttah smooth. Rated to 500m with sapphire and an HE valve it was solid good money. 

Bill_C

Dan Henry fit the bill for build quality and value. They punch well above their weight.

You also can't beat the Seiko Prospex line for build quality and value. My Save the Oceans model is a stunner.

I'd also throw Victorinox INOX in there as a value contender.

And lastly, not sure if this still meets the criteria but Hamilton are great watches for not a lot of money IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GingerApple
7 minutes ago, deju said:

Casioak!  In fact Casio watches full stop are great watches for the money, build and durability is Epic

I can't agree. I love my Casioak, but part of the criteria was having a quality strap and sadly Casio 'rubber' straps are utter filth; seemingly made out of those recycled yellow plastic eggs inside a Kinder Egg.

Bobbylah
1 hour ago, deju said:

Think this misses the point :lol:

I was really just responding to the titled question. ‘Cheap’ is in the eye of the beholder somewhat. In comparison to a lot of watches, even within the Rolex lineup, a Sub can be perceived as ‘cheap’.  However I get the gist of where the OP is going with the intent. And for my Money Seiko is a winner, from something like my basic 5 and Sports 150 Flight Computer chrono SEH005P5, to a PADI SRPB99K1.

• Like 1

Eta7750

Just got hold of a 40mm oceanfarer by Richard Legrand - highly recommend!

https://www.rlgwatches.com

Amazing spec for the money with a hi-beat 9039 movement and unbelievably just gaining one second per day!
Very comfortable as it has female end links with a small 46mm lug to lug.

Alan32

Orient seem to have taken over the quality in the £100-£200 price range with dress, calendar and real divers

like the Kano @ £130  (just add a sapphire for £20)

Z8WhII.jpg

Or for a bombproof quartz with more style than a G-shock the Victorinox INOX

Z8W2Xc.jpg

• Like 3

Thommo82

Z8W5Qb.jpg

Formex Essence.

Can be had for $1000USD if you shop around. Purchased mine through Chrono24.

Certified chronometer SW200.

Finishing and feel as good as anything I’ve handled at 5 x’s the price (or more in some cases).

GulfGT40

The Ingersoll's are a good thing but not at their retail prices IMO. You can jag them cheap though, picked this one up for around  $180aud

50183293798_9f43bb83df_b.jpg

The one that has really impressed me is my Maranez brasso. It winds as smooth as silk, the screw down crown glides shut and the bezel action and sound is amazing.

50538766936_f17f7c0ccc_b.jpg

Piccolo
13 minutes ago, Bobbylah said:

I was really just responding to the titled question. ‘Cheap’ is in the eye of the beholder somewhat. In comparison to a lot of watches, even within the Rolex lineup, a Sub can be perceived as ‘cheap’.  However I get the gist of where the OP is going with the intent. And for my Money Seiko is a winner, from something like my basic 5 and Sports 150 Flight Computer chrono SEH005P5, to a PADI SRPB99K1.

Got to agree with definitions of cheap... pick up a Daytona for 10k it’s cheap and punching above it’s price. Pay retail price for a PP Aquanaut and it’s a bargain..! 

Microbrands in my experience promise a lot and always deliver slightly less than I hoped for. Kickstarter (in most cases) is a none starter, if you don’t believe in your own project enough to find the finance for it... then why should I? 

Value for money again is so subjective, 10k to some is peanuts.  If it makes you feel good and you enjoy it then it’s defo value for money. 

My picks for ‘value’

Moser

Grand Seiko 

Habring2

Sartory Billard

Lundis Bleu 

deju
3 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Got to agree with definitions of cheap... pick up a Daytona for 10k it’s cheap and punching above it’s price. Pay retail price for a PP Aquanaut and it’s a bargain..! 

Microbrands in my experience promise a lot and always deliver slightly less than I hoped for. Kickstarter (in most cases) is a none starter, if you don’t believe in your own project enough to find the finance for it... then why should I? 

Value for money again is so subjective, 10k to some is peanuts.  If it makes you feel good and you enjoy it then it’s defo value for money. 

My picks for ‘value’

Moser

Grand Seiko 

Habring2

Sartory Billard

Lundis Bleu 

I do love that bloody Moser! 

With the history of the company, I’d say it’s a definite for a watch punching above it’s price. 

• Like 1

Pesman
Orient seem to have taken over the quality in the £100-£200 price range with dress, calendar and real divers
like the Kano @ £130  (just add a sapphire for £20)
Z8WhII.jpg
Or for a bombproof quartz with more style than a G-shock the Victorinox INOX
Z8W2Xc.jpg

Agree on Inox and in the US Victorinox and Alpina are virtually budget brands ....just wish it was the same in UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Piccolo
28 minutes ago, deju said:

I do love that bloody Moser! 

With the history of the company, I’d say it’s a definite for a watch punching above it’s price. 

Needs a service after even holding it near work tools :facepalm: only 900chf for a service... :rofl:

Intresting

Magrette, NZ microbrand.  Moana Pacific. Solid as a rock. Swiss movement. 500m rated.

Z8autD.jpg

• Like 1

Mystery Shopper
9 hours ago, tribefan said:

Z8UNRk.jpg Z8UEQD.jpg

Did you realise that if you run an Aramaic translation on the dial symbols it says..........

you still paid too much.

:D

• Like 1

fatarms
1 hour ago, BadApple said:

I really like that Vulcan Coniston model... looks like free shipping to the US?  Hmmm...

BadApple
4 minutes ago, fatarms said:

I really like that Vulcan Coniston model... looks like free shipping to the US?  Hmmm...

A tad small for me at 40mm but for the bucks these look awesome. I believe the black one has sold out?