Sign in to follow this  
flottiglia

Better do this before i hit 100 posts...

flottiglia

Ok,better late than never..

So i'm in the UK and 40 plus yrs old,into watches,cars,bikes etc etc

I've been a vintage watch dealer for about 15 years,low to mid range stuff mainly.

I do my own repairs and servicing,taught myself by taking old movements to bits and putting them back together again,eventually i fixed more than i broke!

So why is a vintage watch man into rep and homage?

Well they are the only watches i can keep hold of,i have to sell the vintage to make a living,plus the bang for buck with rep and homage is great.I know a few vintage dealers that wear reps.

The big difficulty is justifying an ever growing collection to my better half,the conversation goes something like this:

Wife: Whats that watch your'e wearing ?

Me: its a Panerai rep that came in that job lot of stuff i bought the other day,do you like it ?

Wife: Yes its nice but your'e not keeping it,put it up for sale.

Me: Can't Darling its illegal i'll have to just hang on to it !

Works for me !

Balad1

If I haven't welcomed you before, I do now.

We all have the same issues with women, lol.

flottiglia

Cheers Balad,appreciated !

Yeah its funny that.I find she really doesn't appreciate it when i wake her up at 3am to show her the luminosity on a dial i've just finished,can't imagine why !

powderfreak

Cheers Balad,appreciated !

Yeah its funny that.I find she really doesn't appreciate it when i wake her up at 3am to show her the luminosity on a dial i've just finished,can't imagine why !

Hahaha, I bet she loves that, I can imagine how my gf reacts :boobies2:

Welcome :beer2:

Fiddo

Hello! :beer2:

Welcome!

flottiglia

Thanks guys,no relume tonight so i'll see if a couple of 6497's ticking on the bedside table will wake her up !

robznet

Welcome mate! BTW - we all have problems with the other half when trying to justify a rep purchase!

No set way to go about it I'm afraid - just use your own initiative! :rolleyes:

Caliper

Welcome dude!

You should fine a way give her a Louie Vuitton purse, let her wear it for a day and then tell her you're going to sell it cause she doesn't really need it. See what she thinks about that. :rolleyes:

SB56667

:) :)

My wife and I are going away on vacation for two weeks, and I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to divert her attention when we get back from the teetering pile of EMS packages... :)

At any rate, welcome, flottiglia!

greg_r

So i'm in the UK and 40 plus yrs old,into watches,cars,bikes etc etc

I've been a vintage watch dealer for about 15 years,low to mid range stuff mainly.

I do my own repairs and servicing,taught myself by taking old movements to bits and putting them back together again,eventually i fixed more than i broke!

So why is a vintage watch man into rep and homage?

Well they are the only watches i can keep hold of,i have to sell the vintage to make a living,plus the bang for buck with rep and homage is great.I know a few vintage dealers that wear reps.

The big difficulty is justifying an ever growing collection to my better half,the conversation goes something like this:

Wife: Whats that watch your'e wearing ?

Me: its a Panerai rep that came in that job lot of stuff i bought the other day,do you like it ?

Wife: Yes its nice but your'e not keeping it,put it up for sale.

Me: Can't Darling its illegal i'll have to just hang on to it !

Works for me !

:rolleyes: Now that's a good one! :D

Welcome to RWG - great to have someone with your sort of expertise here. :thumbsup:

onionbag

Welcome flottiglia, so cars and watches are your areas of expertise.....nice one. :rolleyes:

Nisv

Hi Flottiglia, welcome:)

Don't be surprized if you get a few "can you help me with my......" PM:s :rolleyes:

chum_2000_uk

into watches,cars,bikes etc etc

I think you'll fit right in here mate!

KeNnY

Great !! Welcome abroad mate !!

We would like to see some tutorials of restoring vintage watches ! As your expertise will help a lot here ! :rolleyes: I would personally be interested, as I have in mind restoring and modding the molnija movement to bigpilot watch :thumbsup:

Silverspeed

Welcome to RWG....you fit right in

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

It's always good to have another excuse for the wife - I'll add that one to my collection! :)

sjb

Hi mate & welcome.

At least your wife notices your watches,mine has zero interest in them!

Mystery Shopper

Hello and welcome

flottiglia

Cheers the for big welcome gents,much appreciated !

This is a learning curve for me.I've spent years making old watches look presentable again,always with some sympathy to keep the patina.I avoid redials and too much case buffing on an old watch,you lose all the character.

Now i want to try and turn a new watch into a vintage one with careful ageing so it will be interesting for me to do the opposite of what i normally do and start scratching cases and crystals !

I have some parts coming from Jackson to experiment on and a low budget Radiomir will be my first project i think.

I have 4 pam homages and a few reps at the moment including a DSSD which i picked up at a flea fair for less than $20,great bargain.It was running and stopping but just had a hair stuck on the escape wheel and a bit of fluff on the pallet,easy fix.

I don't know if any of the UK guys go to the big vintage watch fairs in London and Birmingham,theres often a few good reps to be found at these as well as the gen stuff.

I'm pleased theres some vintage love on here,next time i have something old and interesting to work on i'll post up before and after pics etc.

I'm pretty good on vintage movement ID too,so if you have old movements/watches you can't identify i might be able to help out.

Cheers !

nunu78

Welcome my friend.

Takken

Great to have more people with some good old knowledge to pass on. Welcome aboard.

fe22ari
Great to have more people with some good old knowledge to pass on. Welcome aboard.

Hey Takken, what is that clip of the brunette from?!! :bounce::drool::band: