Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

SeventySevenFifty's NEW, CUSTOM made pearl "holder"

MikeMcNair

While resuming this lads watch, the pearl "holder went flying into the stratosphere.

I have a guy who swore he could get me one, and by the time my work schedule permitted to see him, I found out that was not the case!

So, now what?

Well make your own!!! This was not easy, but it worked well and I am pleased.

So start with a simple steel rod stock from your local hardware store, and cut it down. 1/8th inch is as close to 2.5-3 mm you can get so you have to mill it down.

Once you have that, cut it to about 6"...

Then, mill out the middle. I did this with 3 different sized bit on my drill. Started small, and progressed up till I was happy with the "hole" where the lume will go.

9e93653a.jpg

Then, once it's bored out, chop off a little 1-3mm tall piece. This gives you room to work.

Then, use the trusty dremmel to shave it down to size (height and diameter)

f9297b45.jpg

In that pic it was almost 4mm tall, so i had to hand sand it down. Notice the metal dust on my hands....

6bd9a0c3.jpg

Then use a dremmel engraving bit (looks like a drill bit but the actual course threaded part looks like a round ball at the end of the axle)

13a8e3f2.jpg

Once you spend the time making the diameter correct and the depth of the pearl "deep" enough, it is mandatory to polish this tiny bit. 1500-2000 grit sand paper and some elbow grease brings it to a nice little polished "cup", which is where the white paint, lume, and epoxy will go. Here it is with the white paint .....

9222872a.jpg

90ab7cde.jpg

Up next (once the paint dries and I get home) the lume goes on, then the epoxy, and set it in the bezel. This will be done tonight so 7750 can get his watch FINALLY!!!

Btw, this man is as patient a person I have ever seen, and I have lost my shirt on selling this watch to him, but I've learned a ton from this project and he's getting a HELL of a watch that's superlumed for the money!!!

SevenSevenFifty

You're right about shitting on my pants. You owe me new pants lol.

But seriously, that looks way fucking amazing!!!!!! LOTS OF RESPECT FOR YOU MIKE!!!!

MikeMcNair

While resuming this lads watch, the pearl "holder went flying into the stratosphere.

I have a guy who swore he could get me one, and by the time my work schedule permitted to see him, I found out that was not the case!

So, now what?

Well make your own!!! This was not easy, but it worked well and I am pleased.

So start with a simple steel rod stock from your local hardware store, and cut it down. 1/8th inch is as close to 2.5-3 mm you can get so you have to mill it down.

Once you have that, cut it to about 6"...

Then, mill out the middle. I did this with 3 different sized bit on my drill. Started small, and progressed up till I was happy with the "hole" where the lume will go.

9e93653a.jpg

Then, once it's bored out, chop off a little 1-3mm tall piece. This gives you room to work.

Then, use the trusty dremmel to shave it down to size (height and diameter)

f9297b45.jpg

In that pic it was almost 4mm tall, so i had to hand sand it down. Notice the metal dust on my hands....

6bd9a0c3.jpg

Then use a dremmel engraving bit (looks like a drill bit but the actual course threaded part looks like a round ball at the end of the axle)

13a8e3f2.jpg

Once you spend the time making the diameter correct and the depth of the pearl "deep" enough, it is mandatory to polish this tiny bit. 1500-2000 grit sand paper and some elbow grease brings it to a nice little polished "cup", which is where the white paint, lume, and epoxy will go. Here it is with the white paint .....

9222872a.jpg

90ab7cde.jpg

Up next (once the paint dries and I get home) the lume goes on, then the epoxy, and set it in the bezel. This will be done tonight so 7750 can get his watch FINALLY!!!

Btw, this man is as patient a person I have ever seen, and I have lost my shirt on selling this watch to him, but I've learned a ton from this project and he's getting a HELL of a watch that's superlumed for the money!!!

Luthier

I'm more patient.

:)

Great job, Mike! I just curious - while the rod on lathe, isn't it easier to cut it right there on needed length after drilling and polishing?

KeNnY

very nice, from what did you cut the small piece for pearl ? It would be great, that you could find some type of glass, like an gen for DSSD has, it would be ULTIMATE pearl for DSSD then !

MikeMcNair
very nice, from what did you cut the small piece for pearl ? It would be great, that you could find some type of glass, like an gen for DSSD has, it would be ULTIMATE pearl for DSSD then !

I will use the same epoxy method we all do for the "glass", but I have a potential source for actual pearl glass that may work (arts and crafts store, in the "scrapbooking" section :popcorn: )

Mods: my iPhone made a double post it appears, please delete/combine.

Thanks!

KeNnY

I will use the same epoxy method we all do for the "glass", but I have a potential source for actual pearl glass that may work (arts and crafts store, in the "scrapbooking" section :popcorn: )

Mods: my iPhone made a double post it appears, please delete/combine.

Thanks!

and that iron ring was cut from what ??

amazing !! Keep me posted !! Me and SKA are searching for this !

gB.

:P

Your new nick is Macgyver Mike... :popcorn:

Hey, do you think you can widdle me a new SSD bezel ring out of a few paperclips and a clicky pen? :P

;)

trailboss99

Good god Mike, buy a lathe! :)

Col.

greg_r

Awesome, Mike. I'm with GBOGH on this one :)

MikeMcNair
:clap:

Your new nick is Macgyver Mike... :lol:

Hey, do you think you can widdle me a new SSD bezel ring out of a few paperclips and a clicky pen? :Thinking:

:popcorn:

Lol, I once was bored at a hotel and made a fishing rod out of the sewing kit in the room, a clicky pen, and a safety clip. Best part was, it actually shot out the "hook" when I pressed the button on the clicky pen.

I'll post pix of it cause I have them somewhere and it worked!!!!

As for the material used, it was a 36" x 3mm steel rod.

a9ce8123.jpg

b4ba20c1.jpg

Also, I have a lathe at the shop, but I wasn't AT the shop so I had to make due :)

jcagara

@kenny

And the perfect lumeholder for the SUB-C also!

If I just had the proper tools, I could get my pops to make one for me (A machinist and fabricator of metals.. :lol:

caba166

Do you have more pics. To be honnest i ve tried to make a pearl myself but the result is that it is to big on my dssd. thx to you

Frankt8242

Do you have more pics. To be honnest i ve tried to make a pearl myself but the result is that it is to big on my dssd. thx to you

this fellow no longer does service here...He's been banned for a while now...