DAY9080

Broken Miyota 9015 Movement

DAY9080

Hi folks

Does anyone out here have a recommendation for a decent repair service in the U.K. who can fix a Miyota 9015 movement?

One of my favourite watches has died and I would like to revive it! b93f5238ad27d95325ab921ced76815f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dendo

It will probably mean buying another miyota movement and swapping it out - these movements are generally cheap and robust.  

Still, you will need to find someone to do it for you - good luck - someone on here will know.  First question will be exactly what is wrong with it, and where do you live.......

DAY9080

I live in Northamptonshire.
The movement has just died. Normally a little jiggle and off she goes but I put her on, set the time and off I went. Checked the time and neither hand had budged... that’s when my heart sunk!

Pesman

Did you just try winding it?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Theduke.williams

Try giving Nick at Watchrepairsuk a shout.

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/342-watchrepairs-uk/

He's repaired a Seiko 4R36 and serviced a few of my watches.

May even find that all your watch needs ia a service to restore the dried up lubrication!

DAY9080
Did you just try winding it?

I wore it for most of the day and normally once I put it on, it keeps going!

Try giving Nick at Watchrepairsuk a shout.
https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/342-watchrepairs-uk/
He's repaired a Seiko 4R36 and serviced a few of my watches.
May even find that all your watch needs ia a service to restore the dried up lubrication!

Great. I will check him out. Are his prices reasonable? I know “reasonable” is subjective but would just like to get a feel for what to expect to pay!

Peter Sta

Bear in mind to follow what @Dendo says.... a brand new 9015 movement from Cousins will cost you less than 100 notes all in

DAY9080
Bear in mind to follow what [mention=5735]Dendo[/mention] says.... a brand new 9015 movement from Cousins will cost you less than 100 notes all in

And how easy is it to replace a movement? Any YouTube videos?

Peter Sta
4 minutes ago, DAY9080 said:

And how easy is it to replace a movement? Any YouTube videos?

Lots of vids on youtube..... if it’s your first (obviously is) and you’ve only got 1 to do.... I’d probably buy the movement from Cousins and take it to a local (to you) watch repairer.   Your chosen watch man may prefer to get the new movement himself.   I think that what you’d need to buy in tools would outweigh the benefit of DIY.

Thinking back a fair few years, on changing my first movement when I really wanted a FFF on a Seiko.,.. the worry about scratching the dial or bending the hands and the knack of getting the seconds hand on.... just for one watch which you love.... not worth the bum ache.  Sure that loads more will add to this and all the best wishes for which ways you decide to go.  Love the M&Sons Kermit btw.

Pesman

...does it actually wind though...you should always wind a watch at least 40 times before wearing. Relying on the rotor from cold is a road paved with disappointment.

Theduke.williams
31 minutes ago, DAY9080 said:

Great. I will check him out. Are his prices reasonable? I know “reasonable” is subjective but would just like to get a feel for what to expect to pay!

I would expect his price to service would be no more than the cost of a new movement.

Bear in mind, after being serviced, you can expect to get quite a few years use out of your watch.

Also, buying a new movement isn't the end of your costs. fitting it will need a watchsmith if you want a decent job done.

Are you able to apply a datewheel overlay, and get it perfectly centred for every date? I know I can't.

Also, a half decent watchsmith will want to service a new movement before fitting it.

Fresh from the factory is when movements tend to be their 'dirtiest' so servicing is recommended to remove all the crap from the production process.

• Like 2

DAY9080
Lots of vids on youtube..... if it’s your first (obviously is) and you’ve only got 1 to do.... I’d probably buy the movement from Cousins and take it to a local (to you) watch repairer.   Your chosen watch man may prefer to get the new movement himself.   I think that what you’d need to buy in tools would outweigh the benefit of DIY.
Thinking back a fair few years, on changing my first movement when I really wanted a FFF on a Seiko.,.. the worry about scratching the dial or bending the hands and the knack of getting the seconds hand on.... just for one watch which you love.... not worth the bum ache.  Sure that loads more will add to this and all the best wishes for which ways you decide to go.  Love the M&Sons Kermit btw.

Thanks! I have tools already, just never tried changing the movement! I am a bit of a “have a go hero” so I will watch some YouTube videos and see if it is something I am willing to do!

Thanks, I have a few from them. Will post my other diver and the pilot watch!

DAY9080
...does it actually wind though...you should always wind a watch at least 40 times before wearing. Relying on the rotor from cold is a road paved with disappointment.

Yup, unscrewed the crown and gave the watch a good winding, if that is what you mean!
I don’t have an automatic winder so that wasn’t an option.

DAY9080
I would expect his price to service would be no more than the cost of a new movement.
Bear in mind, after being serviced, you can expect to get quite a few years use out of your watch.
Also, buying a new movement isn't the end of your costs. fitting it will need a watchsmith if you want a decent job done.
Are you able to apply a datewheel overlay, and get it perfectly centred for every date? I know I can't.
Also, a half decent watchsmith will want to service a new movement before fitting it.
Fresh from the factory is when movements tend to be their 'dirtiest' so servicing is recommended to remove all the crap from the production process.

Thanks for this. Definitely a lot to consider. As I said I am a “have a go hero” but with that said I do not want to wreck a watch I actually love.
Probably makes sense to have the watch serviced first and hear whether that fixes the problem or not! If it does, money saved... if not, time to invest in a new movement.

DAY9080

75df5d1075435cecf48fe33a87fb6fc5.jpg
Love this one but I don’t wear it too much as I am afraid it will get scratched!

• Like 1

Peter Sta

@Theduke.williams is quite right too.... a new movement should be cleaned and serviced before fitment.... so with the cost of Moebius oils (which I didn’t mention) ..... it all equates to  get it to a pro, new movement, or servicing your existing.

• Like 1

DAY9080

3e66fb9b285457770004d901d6e04847.jpg
Here is the 2nd diver! Got it on a different strap now as I find bracelet don’t work with my dinky wrists... don’t judge me!

[mention=29894]Theduke.williams[/mention] is quite right too.... a new movement should be cleaned and serviced before fitment.... so with the cost of Moebius oils (which I didn’t mention) ..... it all equates to  get it to a pro, new movement, or servicing your existing.

All roads lead to a pro right now! Thanks guys!!

Pesman

Yup, unscrewed the crown and gave the watch a good winding, if that is what you mean!
I don’t have an automatic winder so that wasn’t an option.

That's all I meant...and still nothing?....I assume so?

3e66fb9b285457770004d901d6e04847.jpg
Here is the 2nd diver! Got it on a different strap now as I find bracelet don’t work with my dinky wrists... don’t judge me!

All roads lead to a pro right now! Thanks guys!!

Working that Pelagos vibe...!

• Like 1

Theduke.williams

Last point - a watchsmith will inspect all parts for wear and damage when dismantling the movement, and will be able to advise if service / repair / replacement is the most cost effective.

• Like 1

DAY9080
Last point - a watchsmith will inspect all parts for wear and damage when dismantling the movement, and will be able to advise if service / repair / replacement is the most cost effective.

I’m off to see a watchsmith, the wonderful watchsmith of Oz.... oh wait... still in flipping lockdown!!

Thank Theduke.williams, you input has been very much appreciated!

Peter Sta

^ with you ...... ^^ and with you ...... all the best and send us a pic when it’s fixed.....

Looking like a great watch collection already btw 

• Like 1