Alan32

Metalic g shock 5610s (not a tutorial)

Alan32

I decided after seeing  several videos on YouTube I thought  that putting  "armour" on a couple of 5610s would be fun and waste a couple of ours so, being a cheap skate I bought a couple of them"used" on Ebay .

ZsvKPD.jpg

When I got them one was in great shape but the other had rusted spring bars that had damaged the holes so badly the bracelet came of if flexed too much.

ZsvhSk.jpg

I looked around for a replacement centre case but they are eyewateringly expensive £55-£120 but fortunately Time4parts-scotland  had one at a much more reasonable price, although it had a white bordered face(more of that later)

I ordered all the parts from AliExpress and was impressed when the parts arrived ,unfortunately the silver bracelet was missing but I had additionally ordered a conversion kit for straps.

The parts come with the two screwdrivers, springbars (one extra) and screws and couple of the standard spring bar tools, and are of surprisingly good quality.ZsvPtF.jpg

I unfortunately did not think of this before I assembled the silver watch with the strap adapter but it was quite simple although getting the spring bars to seat takes some time and patience. the picture shows the silver on the right and the camo one unassembled on the left with the various spares in between the red bezel was on the white centre case when I bought it. the centre case between the bezels in the middle has the original red lined screen/solar panel and is a simple push out if I decide to change the white screen but I think it goes ok with the silver bezel

ZsvMD3.jpg

Then I simply stripped the silicone bezel and strap and replaced it with the metal Camo set , it is supplied with quick release spring bars but I found the spigots were not long enough to seat properly and had to replace them with normal ones.

I tried out Half metal half resin first

Zsvsos.jpg ZsvuTY.jpg

But decided full metal was the way to go. Much to my surprise the bracelet has mini spring bars for adjustment rather than pins ,although  fiddly at first they are a joy to work with and I hope mainstream watches adopt the system.

ZsvVb8.jpg ZsvJTR.jpg ZsvxqL.jpg

I think the white /silver combo looks ok on it's temporary leather strap

Zs7AXi.jpg

Both watches together

Zs7OI3.jpg

and the spares to be sold on 

Zs7YXs.jpg

So I now have two metal g-shocks for about £200 ,   Lessons learnt?    choose you donor g-shocks well, as centre cases a shockingly priced ( thanks times4parts for saving  me a fortune)

and it's a shame the quick release pins don't work.  

It's surprisingly easy to disassemble a g-shock!

and I'm now a fan of the mini spring bar bracelet idea!

Hope this has given some inspiration to those of you contemplating similar projects

• Like 1

Theviking

Great write up @Alan32 I really like the metal camo. I may breathe some new life into my old Gshocks. Many thanks

• Like 1