typeritr

Daytona stopping at 43 seconds Every single time

typeritr

So I bought a ARF factory Daytona 116520 SS Asia 4130 Mod. I bought it a few months ago but never actually started to use it until today. I set the time and felt the buttons were very rough when turning them. You can hear something like a spring catching when i turn it. The top button is very rough when pressing it. The watch was working when shipped I'm sure as it had to past the QC test. I must have damaged it when setting the time, not sure how though!  

Also every single time the watch hits 43 second it stops. I then have to shake it a bit to get it going again. Even if i continue shaking it for a full minute once it hits 43 seconds it stops again. I just don't understand it. 

Is this a usual problem with this movement? OR would anybody know why this is happening. Also how to repair it or who to send it to. 

Thanks

Edited by typeritr

k4jun

Probably it is not a problem with the movement. Usually it is fault of the crystal, you sure that second hand's tip does not touch the crystal at area of 43rd min?

The top button  pusher starts and stops the chronograph, it is bottom pusher who resets it back to zero btw.

Howitzer

To clarify, are you talking about the main chrono hand or the hand on the seconds counter at 6 o'clock? 

typeritr

I do not know anything about the internal of the watches unfortunately so not sure about the crystal. That may be the cause. 

Sorry yes the bottom button resets the chronograph. I will edit my previous post

6 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

To clarify, are you talking about the main chrono hand or the hand on the seconds counter at 6 o'clock? 

The main chrono hand stops at 43 seconds. But the small seconds counter also stops. 

Edited by typeritr

Howitzer
15 minutes ago, typeritr said:

The main chrono hand stops at 43 seconds. But the small seconds counter also stops. 

OK, so my first thought is that the main chrono should not be run on these ARFs. It's only for show anyway really.  I'm not an expert on the movement itself (and I'm sure I will be corrected forthwith), but my understanding is that the sub-dials at 3 and 9 are effectively frozen, so running the chrono is pointless because you can only measure up to 60 secs :)  Constantly running or trying to run the chrono on these is asking for trouble IMO. It is not to be treated as a seconds hand. 

Try just letting it run with the chrono reset and not running and see how the small seconds performs then.  

Rx4Time

If you tap it a few times will it start running again?  My guess and what was alluded to above is the chronograph second hand is touching the crystal.  There's a few different ways this can be dealt with.  

typeritr

Yes if i tap or shake it it starts off running again. 

1 hour ago, Howitzer said:

OK, so my first thought is that the main chrono should not be run on these ARFs. It's only for show anyway really.  I'm not an expert on the movement itself (and I'm sure I will be corrected forthwith), but my understanding is that the sub-dials at 3 and 9 are effectively frozen, so running the chrono is pointless because you can only measure up to 60 secs :)  Constantly running or trying to run the chrono on these is asking for trouble IMO. It is not to be treated as a seconds hand. 

Try just letting it run with the chrono reset and not running and see how the small seconds performs then.  

I think that works. I reset the main second hand. The small subdial kept running and the minute hands keep ticking so this seems it might be a "work around" I would still be keen to have the watch fixed so the main secondhand works too though

GingerApple

This is painful :facepalm:

• Like 2

splke
5 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

This is painful :facepalm:

:lmao:

basically op dont run the chrono like ever 

buy a quartz  if you want to play with a chrono not a rep auto daytona

• Like 1

BravoDelta

My rep chronos all work perfect...because I never use the chrono. :lol:

• Like 1

Glaude

Just to make sure, because it happened before, you did wound the watch before using it right ?

Howitzer
1 hour ago, typeritr said:

I reset the main second hand

It's not a second hand, it's a chrono hand :) 

so this seems it might be a "work around" I would still be keen to have the watch fixed so the main secondhand works too though

It's not a "work around", it's just how it should be. To reiterate - the "main secondhand" isn't a second hand! The small seconds dial fulfils that function on these watches. Even on genuine chronos you're not meant to run the thing constantly, it's meant to be used occasionally for timing specific tasks or activities (which won't work on this model unless said activity is less than 60 seconds, or 43 seconds in your watch's case ;) Although it might still be useful for helping my wife prove her bloody point). 

Anyway, I digress. In the case of reps it's absolutely not recommended to run the chrono at all if you can help it, let alone constantly.  I've only ever run the chrono on any of my reps once at the absolute outside to check they work, usually before selling them. If I need to time something I use my phone or base it roughly on the number of complaints I receive.  

I'm not having a go by the way, just trying to save your ARF from an early demise so you can enjoy what is a lovely watch for much longer :thumbsup:

• Like 2

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

It's not a "work around", it's just how it should be. To reiterate - the "main secondhand" isn't a second hand! The small seconds dial fulfils that function on these watches. Even on genuine chronos you're not meant to run the thing constantly, it's meant to be used occasionally for timing specific tasks or activities (which won't work on this model unless said activity is less than 60 seconds, or 43 seconds in your watch's case ;) Although it might still be useful for helping my wife prove her bloody point). 

Anyway, I digress. In the case of reps it's absolutely not recommended to run the chrono at all if you can help it, let alone constantly.  I've only ever run the chrono on any of my reps once at the absolute outside to check they work, usually before selling them. If I need to time something I use my phone or base it roughly on the number of complaints I receive.  

I'm not having a go by the way, just trying to save your ARF from an early demise so you can enjoy what is a lovely watch for much longer :thumbsup:

I was much more succinct. Admittedly less helpful.

• Like 2

tribefan
25 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I was much more succinct. Hope this helps!

FIFY

• Like 1

typeritr
5 hours ago, Howitzer said:

Ahh ok thanks for that info, I did not realise the main hand was not a second hand and was in fact was a timer. 

With knowing that information I don't really care it gets stuck at 43 seconds.

I just thought the whole watch was getting stuck! Thanks again for your help. 

I obviously have a lot to learn about these watches. 

• Like 1

GenTLe

Ahh ok thanks for that info, I did not realise the main hand was not a second hand and was in fact was a timer. 

With knowing that information I don't really care it gets stuck at 43 seconds.

I just thought the whole watch was getting stuck! Thanks again for your help. 

I obviously have a lot to learn about these watches. 

Yes, and better to know things before than to damage things... There are many things that are a NO-NO with mechanical watches. Either gen or rep doesn't matter.

About the rough pushers, you know that you need to unscrew them for the daytona, right?

7750 (the movement inside your watch) is a cam actuated chrono and even when it's properly lubed and serviced it is kind of hard to operate on pushers. It's not a column wheel chrono.

About the stuck hand: it can be either the hand touching the glass or a speck of dust on the movement.

BadPickle

Sounds like there’s a tooth missing on the chrono gearing 

MetalMickey
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Sounds like there’s a tooth missing on the chrono gearing 

Z7Lm53.jpg