Jump to content
FunnyStarSystem

Bonding Metal to Metal (Reversibly)

Recommended Posts

FunnyStarSystem

I have a watch and steel bracelet with no micro-adjustment that is either too tight, or with a half link added, too loose (Lautrec :D). I'm sure we've all experienced this, so I have the idea of purchasing a coin of the correct diameter and thickness and attaching it to the case back, thus making the fit just right. I don't want to ruin the case back (which is flat steel on the attaching surface) so I'm wondering if any of you have done some experimenting attaching metal to metal, in a way that will hold when exposed to sweat, but can be reversed without damage.

I've used super glue before on small parts, but I think maybe it will be difficult to remove without damage. Googling comes up with epoxy that is removed via acetone, but again this doesn't seem to be easily reversible without damage. There are so many various products out there, can anyone offer their experience?

Thanks in advance gents :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whitegold79

VHB double sided tape, probably an easy way. Extremely strong, waterproof (if you get the right one)
And can be removed without any damage when needed

Sent from my SM-G9910 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pickledbeetroot

I feel your pain bro, summer winter is always a hassle for bracelet resizing so I’ve always used these

 

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203233435683

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveA
1 hour ago, pickledbeetroot said:

I feel your pain bro, summer winter is always a hassle for bracelet resizing so I’ve always used these

 

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203233435683

 Magnet on watch case ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
movintage

@FunnyStarSystem why not keep it simple and just change the clasp to one that has a micro adjustment :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
13 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

I've used super glue before on small parts, but I think maybe it will be difficult to remove without damage. 

Superglue will remove just fine with heat, you'll have, of course, to remove the caseback from the watch, but heat will allow you to remove it and with some acetone you'll get rid of any residue of the superglue, so apply as much as possible, superglue doesn't offer the strongest of bond on polished metal for example.

For more comfort, you could stick some felt or cork sheet rather than metal ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunnyStarSystem
37 minutes ago, movintage said:

@FunnyStarSystem why not keep it simple and just change the clasp to one that has a micro adjustment :)

It's a very specific case/bracelet and nothing with microadjust is available. I have straps for this watch too, it's just that the bracelet is so beautiful I want to be able to wear it sometimes and then remove the shim as easily as possible. :)

10 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Superglue will remove just fine with heat, you'll have, of course, to remove the caseback from the watch, but heat will allow you to remove it and with some acetone you'll get rid of any residue of the superglue, so apply as much as possible, superglue doesn't offer the strongest of bond on polished metal for example.

For more comfort, you could stick some felt or cork sheet rather than metal ?

That's the problem, it's a Sinn filled with inert gas so I really don't want to open it. It's also an expensive watch which is why I want the gentlest possible solution, otherwise yeah, I'd just super glue that sucker down and not think twice.

 

10 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

I feel your pain bro, summer winter is always a hassle for bracelet resizing so I’ve always used these

 

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203233435683

Hmmm, not sure if you're joking or this has actually worked without magnetizing your watch? I'm really not sure of how much magnetism it takes to bind up a spring, and I know the watch in question has a mag shield. It's intriguing if not a piss take :D

13 hours ago, whitegold79 said:

VHB double sided tape, probably an easy way. Extremely strong, waterproof (if you get the right one)
And can be removed without any damage when needed

Sent from my SM-G9910 using Tapatalk
 

This is the answer I believe. I had considered dble sided tape, I just wasn't sure they made what I needed, and now I know they do! I have already chosen a 1970's German 5 Mark coin as the perfect size, thickness and a lovely eagle engraving for the German Sinn. Thank you sir!

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tribefan

Rodico?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunnyStarSystem
4 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Rodico?

That is definitely worth experimenting with. I'm embarrassed to say I've never bought any, but I'll put it on my shopping list because I can think of a thousand times it would've come in handy. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
semperfi55
14 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

too loose (Lautrec

Only commenting to acknowledge this brilliant bit. I have no knowledge on metal.

 

I’ve tried taping  strips of leather strap underneath the bracelet, works for me so far. You’ll probably need just a small strip if you were gonna only use one coin.

Z7x5xo.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenTLe
32 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

This is the answer I believe. I had considered dble sided tape, I just wasn't sure they made what I needed, and now I know they do! I have already chosen a 1970's German 5 Mark coin as the perfect size, thickness and a lovely eagle engraving for the German Sinn. Thank you sir!

Careful with VHB tape... It's so strong (around 5kg/cm2) that I've used it (successfully) to put the spoiler on my car (which is a fast one with 295HP now) and to tie together 2 parts of my front bumper where I had to remove like 23 plastic welds for a job, and it's strong as a rock....

This is what I used (plus the 3M VHB primer on the PP plastic of the bumper): https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b40065688/

I think it's better to use something less strong, like a decent double side or it will kind of hard to remove the VHB...

 

img20210224144514-jpg.217462 img_20210307_180542-jpg.217853

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret

Get your skinny, metrosexual arse down the local bodybuilding gym and pump some serious iron until those forearms/wrists increase too a more manly size.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
16 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Get your skinny, metrosexual arse down the local bodybuilding gym and pump some serious iron until those forearms/wrists increase too a more manly size.

Or he could just eat a shit ton of junk food ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deju
49 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Careful with VHB tape... It's so strong (around 5kg/cm2) that I've used it (successfully) to put the spoiler on my car (which is a fast one with 295HP now) and to tie together 2 parts of my front bumper where I had to remove like 23 plastic welds for a job, and it's strong as a rock....

This is what I used (plus the 3M VHB primer on the PP plastic of the bumper): https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b40065688/

I think it's better to use something less strong, like a decent double side or it will kind of hard to remove the VHB...

 

img20210224144514-jpg.217462 img_20210307_180542-jpg.217853

Doesn't surprise me, I once removed a start stop button on a Lamborghini that was hot glued rather than soldered :rofl:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunnyStarSystem
33 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Careful with VHB tape... It's so strong (around 5kg/cm2) that I've used it (successfully) to put the spoiler on my car (which is a fast one with 295HP now) and to tie together 2 parts of my front bumper where I had to remove like 23 plastic welds for a job, and it's strong as a rock....

This is what I used (plus the 3M VHB primer on the PP plastic of the bumper): https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b40065688/

I think it's better to use something less strong, like a decent double side or it will kind of hard to remove the VHB...

 

img20210224144514-jpg.217462 

Thanks for the heads up, and if there was anything this dull thread needed it was MORE ALFA! This must be a blast on a mountain road, take it over the San Bernardino Pass for me :thumbsup:

 

39 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Only commenting to acknowledge this brilliant bit. I have no knowledge on metal.

 

I’ve tried taping  strips of leather strap underneath the bracelet, works for me so far. You’ll probably need just a small strip if you were gonna only use one coin.

Z7x5xo.jpg

 

This is clever, but the way I sweat it kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to wear the steel bracelet in the muggy summer. But I like your ingenuity! Below is my case back so you can see how perfect it is to add a coin shim:

Z7JOL2.jpg

and the coin I intend to adhere, eagle side showing:

combined421755.jpg

23 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Get your skinny, metrosexual arse down the local bodybuilding gym and pump some serious iron until those forearms/wrists increase too a more manly size.

If my wrist was any girthier I would have to shop at a saddelry for straps, and I'm already invited to far too many weddings because of my ability to lift men in chairs. Hard pass.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich

Hot glue gun.  Clean both surfaces with acetone prior to gluing.  Holds great at body heat.  Heat the coin with a lighter and it will pop right off the case back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jibuti

fuckin noobs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunnyStarSystem
53 minutes ago, Pful said:

fuckin noobs

It was very sweet of you to visit me on Valentines! :Love:

Z7VY0v.jpg

I'm flattered, but so sorry to tell you I'm married :BrokenHeart:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenTLe
1 hour ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Thanks for the heads up, and if there was anything this dull thread needed it was MORE ALFA! This must be a blast on a mountain road, take it over the San Bernardino Pass for me :thumbsup:

Ahah, for those places I prefer the motobike ;) We are quite near then: I'm like 20km from Swiss border (Gaggiolo border)

51114178921_e8fb4d97af_c.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
movintage
Posted (edited)

Just go with a small strip of Velcro on the caseback. It’s self adhesive and gentle. Or just get a rep caseback and mod that. Then go back to the gen whenever.

Edited by movintage
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jibuti
23 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

I'm flattered, but so sorry to tell you I'm married :BrokenHeart:

I know... Your wife told me that last night in bed... Must admit she is really sad she is still married to you... Those are her words. Yeah... Never trust shiksah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunnyStarSystem
2 hours ago, Pful said:

I know... Your wife told me that last night in bed... Must admit she is really sad she is still married to you... Those are her words. Yeah... Never trust shiksah. 

:rofl:

So  I take it you don't know what "shiksa" means? You're truly lacking imagination these days, I'm concerned about your health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jibuti
23 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

:rofl:

So  I take it you don't know what "shiksa" means? You're truly lacking imagination these days, I'm concerned about your health.

I exactly know what shiksah means. you are concerned about my health? I am more concerned about your wife's health.

you putz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunnyStarSystem
On 15/04/2021 at 14:01, Pful said:

I exactly know what shiksah means. you are concerned about my health? I am more concerned about your wife's health.

you putz.

A shiksa is a non-Jewish woman, so I don't think you've grasped that, no.

Why are you so obsessed with me? Why come into a thread I started just to troll me? What is your point? You dislike Jews, we all get it, haha. It's childish - now move on and odjebi zdaj, dolgočasiš me.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×