rusky27

My 5513 project (The story so far)

rusky27

I've had a few parts collected over the years and felt it time to get my arse in gear. 

After reading NCRich's thread on jkf modding, I contacted marvellous and got a jkf 5513.

So got the watch on Monday and Tuesday I started farting about with it. I replaced the crystal with a gen service Crystal I had which fitted perfectly. 

I used the tension ring from the jkf which is a tight fit....Result as the othe two tension rings were a bit loose. 

But the more I looked the chunkier the bezel looked and the profile of teeth seemed diff on my jkf to pics of early 5513s.

I had a few bits and bobs in my sub grave yard and tried a couple, one I liked best was very thin with a flatter top profile it clicked in eventually and so did the jkf bezel without any need for glue. 

Now this must have been my bigginers luck as after my night shift I attempted the dial swap. I also wanted to try out the gen 703 crown or the athaya 700. Neither fitted off the threads of the jkf crown tube, which I read later they don't. I also banjo'd the gen crown.... I snapped at the point where tube springs into the crown totally goosed. 

So decided to keep the crown that it came with the jkf. 

The dial was a whoopy one from 2014 which turned out was 26.5 and didn't fit I had to sand the edges until it fitted inside the case.. It also had diff feet to the dg2813 so had to use double sided tape, Bugger... Luck running out.... So then without the aid of proper tools I managed to get the hands off and on, but for the life of me I can't get the seconds hand on. I think I've chewed of closed the hole on the Canon pin. 

No amount of pressure gets it in so I think it's some new hands and a new dg2813 from cousins for me. 

All in all its been good practice and I'm surprised its still even working (even without a seconds hand) 

I'm quite Chuffed 

But gutted that I never got the seconds hand in place, but then that would have been too lucky... 

Pics below starting from new to where I'm at now... 

ZRyK5i.jpg ZRy30X.jpg ZRyhtb.jpg ZRy2Np.jpg

Edited by rusky27
  • Like 1

rusky27

ZRy5Mt.jpg

Edited by rusky27
  • Like 1

rusky27

ZRymb3.jpg

I think on hindsight the whoopy dial ain't all that good and prefer the matt jkf dial so I may mod the lume plots and stick it back on I've not hung up my tinkerer stick just yet. 

Edited by rusky27
  • Like 1

Redfire1066

@rusky27   ...  little by little .  .. ..   sounds like you are enjoying the mods . ...   . .  and a treat to have the progress with success and glitches shared by RWG members like yourself  ....  looking forward to seeing more updates of your watch here . ..  :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

rusky27

I think the excitement snowballs each bit, I have to remind myself to slow down so not to bugger things up..lol

I did try bleaching the bezel insert yesterday but must need better bleach than domestos and scottish sunshine.. Maybe the jock rays are not strong enough to activate the bleach... Lol

Edited by rusky27
  • Like 1

Redfire1066

@rusky27  . ..  Well . ..  we cannot complain about the Scottish weather last 8 days. ...  marvelous it has been .. . :D

• Like 1

rusky27
39 minutes ago, Redfire1066 said:

@rusky27  . ..  Well . ..  we cannot complain about the Scottish weather last 8 days. ...  marvelous it has been .. . :D

True! I got it bleached today good n proper done in 15min beat that florida. 

ZREYmj.jpg

Even had a chance to build a boagie

• Like 1

rusky27

ZREyC4.jpg

• Like 1