Sign in to follow this  
Nimitz

Removing the movement from a Chinese Tourbillon movement

Nimitz

A couple of months ago I bought a Constantin Durmont Tourbillon watch, it's basically a Chinese tourbillon from a made up pseudo German brand. I quite like the watch, overall quality is good and accuracy is stunning, it consistently runs +- 1 second fast per day. But now I have a problem, the stem broke! I ordered a assorted stem mixture on ebay, containing 200 different stems, so there should be one that fits.

However, I have difficulties removing the movement from the case. Anyone who knows how to do this? Note: part of the broken stem I still in the movement and I can't reach it to pull it out...

Here are some photos of the watch/movement:

P1030310.jpg

P1030309.jpg

P1030308.jpg

Member X

It looks like you've removed the screws holding the movement to the movement ring?

Could be a tight fit and just need some gentle persuasion?? :D

MikeMcNair
It looks like you've removed the screws holding the movement to the movement ring?

Could be a tight fit and just need some gentle persuasion?? :D

was thinking the SAME thing. BUT, the stem that is stuck is gonna be a bugger (holding the movement in a little)

what i would do is one of two things.

1) press the stem removal button, and use a tiny screw driver to "pry" out the stem (from the movement out)

2) press stem removal button, and get a decent magnet (like the telescoping ones used in automotive shops to get lost/dropped bolts etc) and allow the magnet to pull the stem out.

once the button is pressed (not TOO HARD by the way) it could also drop out with a gentle tap.

keep us posted.

Member X

Some good suggestions :)

Will a magnet risk magnetizing the movement, though??

theflyingdutchman

Send it back to where you bought it! Tourbies are a nightware to repair!

Edited by theflyingdutchman

Nimitz

Member X, there were no screws, this is how it was when I opened it! Mabye thats the reason the stem broke in the first place... Gonna try mike's suggestions and post the results.

Flyingdutchman, I would never touch the actual movement, but replacing a stem is easy, tourbillon or not.

Edited by Nimitz

level z

hate broken stems ... mine had to remove dial to get to it .. hopes yours not as serious ... good luck ...

Edited by level z

trailboss99
Some good suggestions :thumbsup:

Will a magnet risk magnetizing the movement, though??

Possibly, but if it does any watchmaker can run it thru a demag for you. Takes about 20 seconds.

Col